NJTramcar

NY Strip Steaks

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Costco had a sale on NY Strip steaks.  They are about an inch or so thick.

Going to grill them as always but looking to try something new, s/p and grill or Montreal steak seasoning and grill.

Any suggestions?  I know brush with butter may help but what can make it good.  The butcher at Costco said I could pound it with a meat tenderizer mallet but I think he was joking, maybe?

I have a Jaccard tenderizer.  It works well on lesser cuts of meat.  It essentially pokes a bunch of holes in the steak and when combined with an overnight marinade can really enhance the flavor and texture.

jaccard.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like to sprinkle them with salt and leave them uncovered in the fridge overnight before cooking.  Sometimes I remove the fat strip prior to cooking to make them less work to eat (the wife appreciates that).  I've started making an Ancho-Coffee rub that works great on NY strips, or if I don't go that route I'll make a quick sauce.

Quickly saute shallot and garlic in butter, deglaze with a couple tbsp of cognac and then flambe it.  Add 1/3 cup red wine, reduce, add 1/3 cup beef or chicken stock, reduce.  Finish with a pat of butter and some chives.

Edited by sbcbmx112

I’ve cooked many a Costco whole n y strip steak as a 10lb roast and cut into steaks with just kosher salt and pepper … I do like to sprinkle a little instant espresso on it also … I have cooked them on rotisserie , over chery wood,over horse shoe coal and they ate it ..actually cleaned the platter with bread …. If you cook it whole and it comes out to rare slice it thin and put some boiling hot mushroom gravy over it on a platter … for the money Costco’s n y strip are pretty good 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kosher salt both sides, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or in zip locks

Into the fridge, time it for no less than 16 hours, no more than 18

Remove, wipe dry with paper towels, rub down with a garlic clove or garlic powder, and sprinkle liberally with black pepper.

Grill over charcoal.

The salt timing allows the salt to draw moisture out of the meat then pull it back in, tenderizing and flavoring.

Works wonders with cheaper cuts like top round

Edited by Sudsy

50 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Kosher salt both sides, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or in zip locks

Into the fridge, time it for no less than 16 hours, no more than 18

Remove, wipe dry with paper towels, rub down with a garlic clove or garlic powder, and sprinkle liberally with black pepper.

Grill over charcoal.

The salt timing allows the salt to draw moisture out of the meat then pull it back in, tenderizing and flavoring.

Works wonders with cheaper cuts like top round

I'd add freshly chopped rosemary and lemon zest. With a pat of herb butter while it rests.

3 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Costco had a sale on NY Strip steaks.  They are about an inch or so thick.

Going to grill them as always but looking to try something new, s/p and grill or Montreal steak seasoning and grill.

Any suggestions?  I know brush with butter may help but what can make it good.  The butcher at Costco said I could pound it with a meat tenderizer mallet but I think he was joking, maybe?

cant go wrong with Montreal Steak Seasoning, it's my go to other than just salt,pepper and butter for steak

Problem is finding a steak that “tastes” like stake. Not much flavor in any of them anymore. But I will try Sudsy’s salt trick. Prefer to keep things simple!

4 hours ago, Nitehawk said:

Problem is finding a steak that “tastes” like stake. Not much flavor in any of them anymore. But I will try Sudsy’s salt trick. Prefer to keep things simple!

The salt thing on a good sirloin is off the hook great !

Open them up, pat them with a paper towel to dry

light poke with fork on both sides

Apply light olive oil coat both sides, smear with another piece of paper towel

Sprinkle sea salt, and corse ground pepper both sides

If you want add whatever on top of the salt and pepper, I have never the need to.

Cover dish, let it go to room temp

Fire up the grill

cripes, now Im hungry

I enjoy the taste of beef. a good cut of beef only needs S&P taste imo. So I pass on all those seasoning mixes. I tried a method that was pretty interesting & tasty. Pat dry the steak with paper towels. heat up a heavy cast pan with kosher salt on the highest flame you can get it up to. wait till you hear the salt crackling. Then sear the steak to your prefer internal doneness. the only trick is must be a heavy cast iron pan

It’s no ribeye, but NY strip is a favorite of mine. A prime cut is usually downright perfect. Take them out of the fridge for 20 minutes prior to cooking. Preheat the grill to a toasty 500-600 degrees. Pat them completely dry, liberally dust them with a 50/50 salt & pepper mix (don’t forget the edges) and immediately put them on the grill. Five minutes first side, four on the second (for medium). Off the grill, lightly foil for several minutes, then give them a light sprinkle of coarse kosher/sea salt before eating. 

So I poked them with a fork lightly on both sides.  Had them marinate in a little olive oil and Montreal Steak seasoning and allowed to sit for awhile to warm up from the fridge before I put them on the grill.  None left!  thanks all.