lindseymorgan30

Staying at house with dock on myakka canal

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Staying at a house on canal in port Charlotte  based off myakka end of next month..  we are from north GA so we are used to bass/trout. What is in the canals if anything? If so, best bait/rigs to use?

we go to different spots each year in Florida and every year we end up with dang cats only. We want to catch something different .. idk that area at all please help a girl out!

1st I would stay away from bait.  Artificials will weed out anything undesirable.  I fish the area all the time.  If you have better description of the area your staying at EL Jobean, Gulf Cove etc. I can give you better idea of close bye info.  Do you have a boat or will you be shorebound.  Right now its been snook and tarpon with some Spanish mackeral and mangrove snapper.  I fish from shore only and mostly at night.

It will be from dock on canal- we’ve always used live bait or dead so I know that’s why we only catch cats when we are in SF. It looks like it’s a canal near Sandia St area? I’m not familiar with the area at all. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thats up behind Viscaya lakes area.  I would go fish the seawalls at El Jobean bridge in the morning or evening.  Throw paddletails on 1/4 to 1/2oz jigheads.  Moving water is a must.  Small poppers. Rapala xrap 8 or DOA shrimp.  Tsunami tidaltails in white are great right now and $1.78 at the wally mart.  You can also try and fish the lakes near you if you can get near the water.  

Edited by beatonem

You could catch fish there. But if you are going to stay on the dock behind the house it may be limited to a small area. I dont fish those canals, but they possibly could have snook, jacks, tarpon, snapper.  I was just trying to offer you a pretty good spot to catch some differentt fish 5 minutes from where you are staying.  Good luck and enjoy.

We stayed in Marco island one year and we were on a canal and it was just magical.. manatees, sheepshead, mangrove snappers, one night either a shark or dolphin feeding. I loved it there so much.

I stayed at tv park on Myakka river threw popping corks and shrimp. Caught everything you could imagine . 10 lb gear. 

17 hours ago, RAW said:

I stayed at tv park on Myakka river threw popping corks and shrimp. Caught everything you could imagine . 10 lb gear. 

2x best for catching in Florida , tip a jig with shrimp