jjdbike

Used Weber: worth price?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I’m in need of a charcoal kettle that’ll folio a slow & sear. Someone local has a Weber Performer Deluxe Copper Kettle. They say it’s like new other than gas assist isn’t working.

They’re asking $250 including the cover. Is it worth $250?

Thanks in advance.

JD 

Probably.  Over $500 new and not sure what else can you buy for $250?  If it’s more than a bad igniter I’d probably check parts and offer lower. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Hey everyone,

I’m in need of a charcoal kettle that’ll folio a slow & sear. Someone local has a Weber Performer Deluxe Copper Kettle. They say it’s like new other than gas assist isn’t working.

They’re asking $250 including the cover. Is it worth $250?

Thanks in advance.

JD 

If you want the cart, sure.  Otherwise it is the same grill (18" Weber kettle) that sells for new at Homies for about $130 with free delivery to your doorstep.

Edited by Slacker

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

If you want the cart, sure.  Otherwise it is the same grill (18" Weber kettle) that sells for new at Homies for about $130 with free delivery to your doorstep.

And without the ash catch bucket.

Sounds a little steep for what I see on the local for sale sites here, but not bad. A new ignitor is 20-25 or just light it with a lighter. Or use a chimney. I put my chimney over the gas lighter. 

7 mins ago, Mike said:

And without the ash catch bucket.

You and that stupid ash catch bucket, LOL.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

You and that stupid ash catch bucket, LOL.

It's a must have. Avoids the simple elegance of ash falling onto a flat pan and getting everywhere 

Edited by Mike

That maybe 22 inch diameter … that gas igniter may have a rusted tube … Weber may send you the parts for the gas starter for nothing if you have the serial number of the unit ….the ash catcher is a nicety …you probably can get a brand new 22 inch Weber kettle plus the cover for the same money … but the cart does come in handy … or you can get a small inexpensive folding table … if you can get just the grill new  and cast iron grates from craycourt you will up your cooking to the next level ….                       The Weber 26 inch grill is awesome , but that’s another issue for another day ….lol lol lol 

15 hours ago, JimW said:

Probably.  Over $500 new and not sure what else can you buy for $250?  If it’s more than a bad igniter I’d probably check parts and offer lower. 

14 hours ago, Slacker said:

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Sounds a little steep for what I see on the local for sale sites here, but not bad. A new ignitor is 20-25 or just light it with a lighter. Or use a chimney. I put my chimney over the gas lighter. 

9 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

That maybe 22 inch diameter … that gas igniter may have a rusted tube … Weber may send you the parts for the gas starter for nothing if you have the serial number of the unit ….the ash catcher is a nicety …you probably can get a brand new 22 inch Weber kettle plus the cover for the same money … but the cart does come in handy … or you can get a small inexpensive folding table … if you can get just the grill new  and cast iron grates from craycourt you will up your cooking to the next level ….                       The Weber 26 inch grill is awesome , but that’s another issue for another day ….lol lol lol 

Thanks for your help here folks.

To be honest, I'm a total noob to Webers. I just rehired my BGE (long story). Now all I have is a stick burner (KBQ) and am in need of a grill.

The only fancy thing I'd like to have (as far as accessories etc, is the ability tp grill direct and indirect (i.e. two zone).

I do like the table option, because one always needs some place tp put meat, sauce, tools, etc.. I certainly don't need the gas assist.

That being said, other than the gas assist and the table, is the Performer simply a plain ole' garden variety 22" kettle? 

JD

It’s a 22 inch Weber in a cart which is nice …. Is it necessary, nooo ….cast iron cooking grates and half moon coal holders way more important than the cart .. lol lol lol ..I have three Weber 22 grills and one Weber 26 …I bought an older performer for $30 at a garage sale and it lasted for a while but the cart started to crap out so I threw it out … I find the Weber kettles on the curb when people are throwing them out …. I have been known to have ribs on my smoker a whole n y strip cooking using the horse shoe method on one kettle …bite through skin , schicken thighs on a second Weber and spatchcock Turkey 13lb. on a Weber 26 … for the money it would be hard to get a better coal grill … the square Aussie folding unit is a good value for the money … but still needs cast iron cooking grates …lol lol lol But if you want to make an investment a PK KITCHEN is the way to go ….

Edited by Surf bomber

16 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

It’s a 22 inch Weber in a cart which is nice …. Is it necessary, nooo ….cast iron cooking grates and half moon coal holders way more important than the cart .. lol lol lol ..I have three Weber 22 grills and one Weber 26 …I bought an older performer for $30 at a garage sale and it lasted for a while but the cart started to crap out so I threw it out … I find the Weber kettles on the curb when people are throwing them out …. I have been known to have ribs on my smoker a whole n y strip cooking using the horse shoe method on one kettle …bite through skin , schicken thighs on a second Weber and spatchcock Turkey 13lb. on a Weber 26 … for the money it would be hard to get a better coal grill … the square Aussie folding unit is a good value for the money … but still needs cast iron cooking grates …lol lol lol But if you want to make an investment a PK KITCHEN is the way to go ….

Thanks man,

I can get by w/ out a table.

By 1/2 moon, do you mean “Slow & Sear”? If not, what do you mean? Obviously this is a way to have two zone cooking which I need.

Thanks again!

JD

I’m sure he’s talking about Weber charcoal baskets.  They let you separate the coals to the sides.  I don’t have them, two zone cooking isn’t that complicated, push to one side or a disposable pan in the middle. 
If you don’t want or need the features of a performer the basic black 22 inch kettle does everything just fine.  I bought 2 years ago to have one for fish, one for meat (that lasted about 2 months) and for larger parties.