Fish it all

Frog legs

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

We used to shoot frogs with a .45. It almost always separated the legs from the body reducing prep time :th:

:v:

10 hours ago, MikeMc said:

You should have seen me trying to get the mother****er off my frog. Every time I put it on the ground the ****er would hop. I was chasing him around the ground. Was probably pretty comical to watch from afar. :laugh: 

I’ve had this problem myself 

1 hour ago, gadwall8 said:

We used to shoot frogs with a .45. It almost always separated the legs from the body reducing prep time :th:

We woukd make canons our of pipes and firecrackers and shoot them dead..who knew we probably cooked them in the process

On 6/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, PSegnatelli said:

I killed so many frogs when I was working in France.  

Buckets of chilled live frogs. We would grab them by the back legs, whack their heads on the table, whack off their legs with a cleaver.  Chuck the rest of the frog in a bucket for the pigman.  Next kid skinned em. 

Brutal. 

But yeah.  They're damm good.  Body and front legs are too. Not just the rear.  

How’d ya do the snails?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, PSegnatelli said:

I killed so many frogs when I was working in France.  

Buckets of chilled live frogs. We would grab them by the back legs, whack their heads on the table, whack off their legs with a cleaver.  Chuck the rest of the frog in a bucket for the pigman.  Next kid skinned em. 

Brutal. 

But yeah.  They're damm good.  Body and front legs are too. Not just the rear.  

I missed this.  This is what we did.  Most of them did not get the head whack though.  

We washed them off with a manual pump going to a well.

Edited by PaddyCrabby

1 hour ago, gadwall8 said:

That sounds like good practice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, sunobskt said:

How’d ya do the snails?

Didn't do any snails.  Plucked ALOT birds, sorted lettuce leaves by size, scrubbed way too many mussels and shaved truffles. Bucket after bucket of truffles.   I smelled truffles everytime I showered for weeks afterwards. 

Eta. Oh and red gurnards (aka sea robins)  i scaled so many of those little things. They cooked them just scaled. Guts & all.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

56 mins ago, sunobskt said:

How’d ya do the snails?

K so I'm sitting here thinking about snails. My memory is spotty but I do recall collecting snails while I was picking grapes and giving them to the vineyard owner's mom.  

From what I gathered she would keep them and feed them cabbage to clean out any toxins. I don't know for how long. Then I think she poached them till fully cooked, remove from shell, clean off the viscera & cut off the hard part (i think it's called the foot),  she didn't put them back in the shell. She sauteed some garlic & parsley in butter and tossed em in it. 

They fed me really well. And apparently a teenage American eats alot more than they realized.    I earned every meal thou. Some back breaking work. 

11 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

K so I'm sitting here thinking about snails. My memory is spotty but I do recall collecting snails while I was picking grapes and giving them to the vineyard owner's mom.  

From what I gathered she would keep them and feed them cabbage to clean out any toxins. I don't know for how long. Then I think she poached them till fully cooked, remove from shell, clean off the viscera & cut off the hard part (i think it's called the foot),  she didn't put them back in the shell. She sauteed some garlic & parsley in butter and tossed em in it. 

They fed me really well. And apparently a teenage American eats alot more than they realized.    I earned every meal thou. Some back breaking work. 

Sounds like awesome experience.