JRT

Returning a fly line

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I bought a line, unspooled it and weighed the head. It was way too heavy for my use and I did not like the taper as I knew it would dump. The retailer says they cannot accept the return despite being unused as it has been uncoiled.

So you pay $100+ for a line and have no return rights? Surely this is the same as buying clothing online, trying the item on and returning it if it does not fit ?

Is it worth complaining to the manufacturer (Scientific Anglers)?

Edited by JRT

Once it was removed and uncoiled and put back it's not NIB . I've gotten a number of lines over time in bargin bins because of things like this, Ask yourself this you're in a shop and pick out a line that's clearly been opened and handled would you buy it ? At full retail price ? 

Sure. But you could say the same for any item of clothing tried on for size or anything unboxed. 

Dropping $100 on a fly line and forgoing consumer rights on return ultimately isn't a good business model.  It's not really surprising lots of people now buy Maxcatch and other knock-off lines from China for a fraction of the cost. SA, Rio etc need to look into this and come up with some way for retailers to return lines for respooling. It's not like they aren't making any margin with their pricing.

Sure I could compare unused clothing returns not really talking the same thing though, Simply put you unpackaged the line . I don't know what to tell you at this point I don't make the policies . 

I’m curious.
Which SA line and what did you find by measuring it that differed from the information provided on the box/website?

Sounds like it comes down to the retailer and their policy. They could take it back and when it is time to set up a reel with that line, that would be the one I would use... In the end, I would no longer buy a line from them (or probably anything else) as the line is not as described. They may say it is not their fault, but if you are selling a product, you are taking on part of the responsibility for that product is; as described. 

SA Sonar Titan Sinktip. Way too heavy for the designated weight - much more than their standard Titan floater.

I've emailed SA to see what their policy is and will change my buying decisions based on this. Up to now, I have been very vocal against buying cheap Chinese knock-off lines but I will be looking at these as an option in the future if this is indeed their policy. I simply cannot justify the cost/risk associated anymore.

Edited by JRT

SA titan tapers are pretty clearly marked as two line sizes heavy. Curious what was so off with the weights, because when it comes to providing info on their website, SA is by far one of the better line manufacturers out there. 

In the future, just email a question to line companies before you buy--I've found them to be very helpful (SA, Airflo, Farbank)

I can relate to this issue. I spent the last two days (on & off) looking for an 8wt line. I want an 8, not a 10 or 11 labeled as an 8. I'm not sure why this is so damn hard....

I thought about getting a few, weighing them and maybe carefully trying them and returning the other? I didn't consider reaching out to any of the places to see what their return policies for lines. 

FWIW, based on the 'coiling' aspect, bought lines that were used in some way before I got them. I never found any issue with the line in those cases.

JRT - regarding your issue - was it that the line was out of spec or you couldn't find a spec and then ordered based on what you thought and the line was too heavy? If it was out of spec I would hope SA would handle it appropriately.

Edited by Drew C.

2 hours ago, JRT said:

SA Sonar Titan Sinktip. Way too heavy for the designated weight - much more than their standard Titan floater.

I've emailed SA to see what their policy is and will change my buying decisions based on this. Up to now, I have been very vocal against buying cheap Chinese knock-off lines but I will be looking at these as an option in the future if this is indeed their policy. I simply cannot justify the cost/risk associated anymore.

I can absolutely appreciate this. I certainly don't mind dropping money on my toys but lines really get me. It's not the cost so much but the result - if the line doesn't work it is completely useless. I have never been that badly burned on a reel, rarely on a rod (FU Sage, a giant raw FU), and almost never in other areas. Yet I have a collection of lines that are essentially brand new but completely worthless. Try and sell them, its $.50 on the $1 at best and usually worse.

Edited by Drew C.

J

Hear you. We should not be expected to buy a pig in a poke. To me it comes down to this. The line in the box it was supplied in should clearly state its length total. Total head length and AAFTM rating. If it is outside of AAFTM specifications then it should not be given a line number. Stating a line is two sides up is simply not good enough. If a line is outside of AAFTM specs then then the weight of the first 30 feet excluding some front taper must be stated. It should also give total head weight. A line taper diagram must be included.

Heh glory me we know what we are buying then. If when taking line out the box and weighing it and it is significantly not as described then the line is simply faulty and is misrepresented.

In the U.K. the consumer is protected under the sales of goods act. USA if is a different deal. In the U.K. the Contract is with the company who sold it to you. 
The tackle shop notThe maker.

If I want decent consumer protection I buy in the U.K. It seems to be a crap shoot in the USA.

I have seen how some guys un spool and twist lines to hell and back. I would not want to be landed with one. But it is no protection if product is a POS and not as described.
Max Catch or other lines are not relevant really to the issue.

If line is to stated spec and you hate it then it’s our problem.

mikey

10 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I can absolutely appreciate this. I certainly don't mind dropping money on my toys but lines really get me. It's not the cost so much but the result - if the line doesn't work it is completely useless. I have never been that badly burned on a reel, rarely on a rod (FU Sage, a giant raw FU), and almost never in other areas. Yet I have a collection of lines that are essentially brand new but completely worthless. Try and sell them, its $.50 on the $1 at best and usually worse.

I do agree with you and always have, however, I was recently told something that made me think. Well, it didn’t make me change my mind entirely, but it softened my view to an extent. 

The reason that fly lines, in most cases at least, are so expensive is because of the wide assortment of options and the development it takes to offer all of those. If you take someone like Rio, they offer everything from a line for panfish to sailfish, and really honing those lines in definitely takes a certain R and D cost. So while they probably sell a lot fewer lines for fishing blue water than they do their Rio Gold, having that option comes at a certain cost. It sucks for those of us who only fish for one species, especially something like trout where the lines have been mostly developed years ago, but there is something to be said for the ability to get a line that really performs whenever you’re after the fish of a lifetime or something similar. 

As for the original poster, if you bought a line that was not the grain weight that was advertised, that’s total crap and purely unacceptable (it also sort of negates my point regarding the cost involved in developing lines to perfection, but hopefully, this is an exception).

4 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I do agree with you and always have, however, I was recently told something that made me think. Well, it didn’t make me change my mind entirely, but it softened my view to an extent. 

The reason that fly lines, in most cases at least, are so expensive is because of the wide assortment of options and the development it takes to offer all of those. If you take someone like Rio, they offer everything from a line for panfish to sailfish, and really honing those lines in definitely takes a certain R and D cost. So while they probably sell a lot fewer lines for fishing blue water than they do their Rio Gold, having that option comes at a certain cost. It sucks for those of us who only fish for one species, especially something like trout where the lines have been mostly developed years ago, but there is something to be said for the ability to get a line that really performs whenever you’re after the fish of a lifetime or something similar. 

As for the original poster, if you bought a line that was not the grain weight that was advertised, that’s total crap and purely unacceptable (it also sort of negates my point regarding the cost involved in developing lines to perfection, but hopefully, this is an exception).

I get that, I really don't mind the cost but rather the confusion that is attached to so many lines. There's a lot of this in CaryGreene's Review thread.  

All I want to know is the aftma wt, the first 30'. The head wt would surely be nice too as well as the head profile and length. Rio used to have all that info for their lines on their old site but not the new site. To putt mildly, it sucks, and that's being far too kind. 

Then there's my constant gripe - line wt labeling. It's all over the place, 10wts that weigh 400+grains, 10wts that weight 285gr, 8s that weigh 300+gr. It's a mess. And if you're not experienced, it's a giant mess.

Circling back (lol), JRT's issue is all too common. Drop $100 plus on a line and it's completely useless vs it's original intended use. Now you either dump it at a loss or try and find some sort of use for it, both those options suck. Plus, who even knows if the grain weights (when available) are even accurate.

That’s really unfortunate. Perhaps try classifieds and see if someone has the line you want and would swap?  At least you are one step closer to getting dialed in to what you are looking for.  We’ve all gone through this process. You should see the iterations two handed guys go through to find a rod/line match. Holy smokes.