Andrew46

Best/quick way to deodorize car

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I was given an unmarked spray bottle with some brown liquid that our local train company uses to deoderise seats and carpets. Don't know the name of the chemical but it works wonders. Maybe ask industrial cleaning suppliers for advice?

On 6/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, Andrew46 said:

Forgot and left bait in my car in 90 degree weather for two days. Wife was not happy.  Anyone has ways to quickly deodorize your car?

Baking soda. Let it sit for a week then vacuum. Afterward a good cologne to mask it until the stink is all gone. Something like Eros or nautica.

Posted (edited)

On 6/26/2022 at 0:01 PM, Andrew46 said:

Forgot and left bait in my car in 90 degree weather for two days. Wife was not happy.  Anyone has ways to quickly deodorize your car?

Reading through this thread.

This spring I had a full bait bucket in my trunk when the driver in front of me decided to make a sudden, 2 lane right turn. When I slammed on my brakes, the bucket spilled all over my trunk. I have a trunk liner but the water spilled over it, some puddled under the trunk floor onto the metal. I also found a dead shiner in a gap between the back seats and the trunk a day or 2 later.

Normally I keep the bucket in a big cooler to avoid this kind of problem. The one day I did not, I paid dearly. The worse of the smell is gone. But there's still a generic odor that's annoying. I had the carpets cleaned by a detailer. Next I'm getting the leather cleaned. After that, I'm thinking of coating the trunk with baking powder for a few days.

Edited by zak-striper

22 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Afterward a good cologne to mask it until the stink is all gone. Something like Eros or nautica.

If that was my only option, I'd prefer the smell of old bait.

10 mins ago, CWitek said:

If that was my only option, I'd prefer the smell of old bait.

Believe me, if it’s your wife’s car, it’s better than bait. If it’s my car, I don’t care, it smells of bait a good deal of the time. 

16 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Reading through this thread.

This spring I had a full bait bucket in my trunk when the driver in front of me decided to make a sudden, 2 lane right turn. When I slammed on my brakes, the bucket spilled all over my trunk. I have a trunk liner but the water spilled over it, some puddled under the trunk floor onto the metal. I also found a dead shiner in a gap between the back seats and the trunk a day or 2 later.

Normally I keep the bucket in a big cooler to avoid this kind of problem. The one day I did not, I paid dearly. The worse of the smell is gone. But there's still a generic odor that's annoying. I had the carpets cleaned by a detailer. Next I'm getting the leather cleaned. After that, I'm thinking of coating the trunk with baking powder for a few days.

This is why i usually have semi large heavy trash bags in car or in my fishing bag.

I line the bucket with it.  Tie it up before i drive. No spills. Also makes cleaning things easy. Bucket, coolers, bags, stays cleaner, longer.

But back on topic, localized cleaning and then ozone is best.

Baking soda at the end doesnt "clean" the affected area. Sprinkling only on the carpet doesnt clean whats underneath.  Its only a temporary coverup.

Properly cleaning and disinfecting it (even if you have to pull the carpet or chair out. which is a good weekend project) is better long term for whoever is always in the car. Breathing in putrid, moldy, bacteria or fungi air, isnt exactly great.

If someone tells me, a few plastic pegs or some nuts and bolts is hard to remove to get chair or liner out.  Person is just lazy.

16 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Believe me, if it’s your wife’s car, it’s better than bait. If it’s my car, I don’t care, it smells of bait a good deal of the time. 

My wife has been married to me for over 40 years; she got used to the smell of bait, chum, and offal long ago.

And she'd likely choke on the cologne stink as quickly as I would.  It's like riding in a third-world taxi,

7 mins ago, CWitek said:

My wife has been married to me for over 40 years; she got used to the smell of bait, chum, and offal long ago.

And she'd likely choke on the cologne stink as quickly as I would.  It's like riding in a third-world taxi,

In the third world, or Chicago, the cab drivers do that to cover up the cheap booze.

Hose it down with patchouli and throw on a Greatfull Dead cassette.  Fire up the bong and watch the unicorns dance.  

Or sell it.

I'd say try Petzyme, or another similar product. It should actually eat the odor-causing enzymes. Worked great on a car full of cat spray. hehe.

Good luck.

Posted (edited)

Got this in the mail today. I'll give it a try and report back on how well it works.

20220702_150914.jpg.ebcf513087f41fa0ff7e2d3fcbcc59db.jpg

Edited by zak-striper