Andrew46

Best/quick way to deodorize car

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Trade in the wife ?

When i was a kid fishing with a buddy he borrowed his mothers car.

When we got to our spot I thought the tackle shop shorted us on the 2 dozen eels we purchased by a few....

The next morning I guess his moms scream was loud enough to wake him before she came in to kill him.

Two days later once the last one hiding under the back seat carpet got ripe enough I got called in . We walked everywhere after that.

Edited by riggler

clean the area of any liquids first, alcohol wipes, etc etc.

then buy a ozone generator off amazon. pretty cheap. usually has a timer 30 mins 1 hr 2 hr.

run an extension cord into the car and turn it on, close the door.

depending on the smell, might take 1-5 runs to get rid of all smells.

be sure to air out the car afterward as ozone is no good to breath in.

if you have a battery charger, you can also leave turn ignition on, and turn the cars fan to help it circulate ozone even faster.

no put starting car and letting it idle to waste gas.

the ozone generator can be around the house also. just also be sure to use it when not at home and to let it air out afterward.

Edited by EricL

Here is what the old car detailers did to get bad cigar and cigerate and B.O out of a trade in. They would get a bag of coffe, leave it open in the car for awhile, did a pretty good job. Now they use some kind of machine. it also works good. Last year I left a stinking rag I wipe my hands on while baiting up. It stunk, when I found it 2 days latter the Jeep smelt like old squid. I use the coffe for a few days and the smaell went away.

22 mins ago, Drew C. said:

several gallons of gas and a match.

that smell is never coming out.

LMAO! 

That’s what you call Jewish lightning fast deodorizer.

If the bait was inside a container, then it's just a matter of airing out the car and then putting inside a couple of open boxes of baking soda to absorb the rest of the odor. If the bait leaked onto the carpet, then it can get very nasty because it usually goes through the carpet and into the backing, making things much more difficult....wet vac time. 

Edited by zcoker

Ozone unit sounds cool.

I always used baking soda & charcoal. Baking soda in the box OR sprinkled on the carpet- left in a sealed car (in the sun) then vacuumed. Good charcoal can be used in the same way. Cheap charcoal- either tear open the top of a bag of briquets  or put them into a wawa box. They really absorb oders and you can still use them for the grill. (let the smell burn of of course)

Febreze in a light scent after.  

Thanks all, some good ideas. Seriously though about the match route, not lighting the car on fire of course. Will put in a couple of boxes of baking soda and try the coffee route as well. Luckily I have a plastic liner in my trunk area so nothing leaked into the carpet.

1 min ago, Gatr522 said:

Ozone unit sounds cool.

I always used baking soda & charcoal. Baking soda in the box OR sprinkled on the carpet- left in a sealed car (in the sun) then vacuumed. Good charcoal can be used in the same way. Cheap charcoal- either tear open the top of a bag of briquets  or put them into a wawa box. They really absorb oders and you can still use them for the grill. (let the smell burn of of course)

Febreze in a light scent after.  

Hmmm, charcoal sounds like a good idea, maybe breaking down to dust form. I think I actually had a deodorizer in the past that was charcoal

2 mins ago, Andrew46 said:

Hmmm, charcoal sounds like a good idea, maybe breaking down to dust form. I think I actually had a deodorizer in the past that was charcoal

If the odor is really strong-use both- change the baking soda a few times (inexpensive) and let the charcoal sit.

Hard to beat charcoal. Combo is effective though.

39 mins ago, zcoker said:

If the bait was inside a container, then it's just a matter of airing out the car and then putting inside a couple of open boxes of baking soda to absorb the rest of the odor. If the bait leaked onto the carpet, then it can get very nasty because it usually goes through the carpet and into he backing, making things much more difficult....wet vac time. 

Had that happen with some squid once; the things effectively melted into the carpet.

Waited until it was nice and cold in February, when the stink was pretty well refrigerated, then sold the car.

12 mins ago, CWitek said:

Had that happen with some squid once; the things effectively melted into the carpet.

Waited until it was nice and cold in February, when the stink was pretty well refrigerated, then sold the car.

Yes, once that mess gets absorbed into the carpet, it's almost impossible to get the odor out, kind of like cigarette odor, once it's there, it stays there. 

ozone also kills bacteria, virus, fungus and mold.

so its a much more thorough option that baking soda/charcoal

if you go with baking soda, id also follow up with a wet vac, like the home carpet cleaners

so really vac out the fabric liners or seats.

i use my ozone machine once in a while to also kill crud in the air vents or ducts. run it with the fan recirc on. especially after it rains alot and using the AC. humidity makes gunk grow in those nooks and cranny.

Edited by EricL