Crabalanche

No silversides???

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed a lack of bait this year? I fish mostly from Portsmouth up into the great bay estuary and I've seen nothing in the way of silversides thus far. The alewife run was strong but the juveniles seemed to be lacking. There are pogies up in the estuaries but I haven't found anything of note feeding on them. My only saving grace has been a moderate amount of squid running through. Stripers are nice and fat but I'm not seeing large schools hammering away at the surface. 

Before the squid were in the bait was stupid thick. A month plus ago we were hammering them when they were pushing up 1-2” baitfish up to the surface, but the surface blitzes have been lacking for a few weeks now. For what it’s worth my last two weeks have been super slow in NH.

Pretty much here, slow bottom bouncing is doing the best, but fish are getting smaller. Enough action but fishing lighter , flyrod produced schoolies today, lots of people

Yes. There was definitely a good bit of juvenile herring for a short period in the bay and I figure that was the 1-2" fish you were seeing awhile back. But the lack of silvers is making me worried. 

We saw a bunch this morning in NH with some smaller bass on them. I also saw a decent amount the last time I was out in the evening in my kayak, about a week ago, in a nearby NH back channel. That is assuming the rain bait I saw were silversides but I don’t know what else they would be.

Last time out in the yak, I was still seeing a lot of sand eels.  Terns going nuts on them.  By the way, those birds are fearless.  Got chased off a jetty a couple years ago.  Anyone looking out their window must've been laughing their asses off!