Spigola

New Jersey Gun Owners CASTLE DOCTRINE

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I suggest all who own guns and intend on carrying same legally, in the near future, take the time to GOOGLE this very important document.  You can search for it using "The New Jersey Self Defense Law".  You may be surprised at just what a citizen "can" do to defend not only his home but also his car.  Research this and remember it.  May keep you safe and out of jail.

Essentially the law states 

1. 16  This bill, the "New Jersey Self-Defense Law," authorizes a

2. 17  person to use force, including deadly force, against an intruder or

3. 18  attacker in a dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle in those

4. 19  instances where the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death

5. 20  or serious bodily harm.

Edited by Spigola

2 hours ago, alltacklenofish said:

But you are required to exit your home if you can, before using deadly force!

Not so.  Look it up.

3 hours ago, alltacklenofish said:

But you are required to exit your home if you can, before using deadly force!

No you aren't.

4 hours ago, Spigola said:

I suggest all who own guns and intend on carrying same legally, in the near future, take the time to GOOGLE this very important document.  You can search for it using "The New Jersey Self Defense Law".  You may be surprised at just what a citizen "can" do to defend not only his home but also his car.  Research this and remember it.  May keep you safe and out of jail.

And when the police come keep your mouth shut.  No statements, and that includes standing there and answering "so, what happened" when the cop asks.  Tell them that you will be happy to make a statement after conferring with counsel.   

45 mins ago, Slacker said:

And when the police come keep your mouth shut.  No statements, and that includes standing there and answering "so, what happened" when the cop asks.  Tell them that you will be happy to make a statement after conferring with counsel.   

And never ever speak to an FBI agent even over the phone.  They have become the enemy of conservatives.

59 mins ago, Spigola said:

And never ever speak to an FBI agent even over the phone.  They have become the enemy of conservatives.

Anybody with a badge gets greeted with, "I will speak to you in the company of my attorney".  It's just good practice and common sense.

22 hours ago, Spigola said:

This is the part that is kind of scary.  What's reasonable at 2 am and someone just broke through your living room window.  My first thought would be to shoot first and ask questions later, but if the police arrive and search the body and find that he was unarmed, I'm pretty much screwed right?  That's the impression i've been given about NJ law. 

59 mins ago, bbfish said:

This is the part that is kind of scary.  What's reasonable at 2 am and someone just broke through your living room window.  My first thought would be to shoot first and ask questions later, but if the police arrive and search the body and find that he was unarmed, I'm pretty much screwed right?  That's the impression i've been given about NJ law. 

You and your lawyer should be able to make the REASONABLY FEARS part of that.  It's not that hard to do.  Also, how are you screwed if you are alive?

Edited by Spigola

9 mins ago, Spigola said:

You and your lawyer should be able to make the REASONABLY FEARS part of that.  It's not that hard to do.  Also, how are you screwed if you are alive?

Right, but just because you and your lawyer can come up with a defense, doesn't mean it will work.  Every single person I've ever spoken with on the NJ justice system in regards to shooting a home invader is that it will go poorly for you once you hit the courts.  I'm only 35 years old, but I've quite literally never heard otherwise.  Sure you're alive, but being sent to prison for it seems like being screwed.  

If you ask my opinion, I think you should be able to shoot any home invader under any circumstance.  I've just been told numerous times that its just not so clear cut that you'll be free to go.  I've never been put in the situation, and all I know is from what I am told, hopefully i'll never have to find out, and if I do, that Im wrong!

Edited by bbfish

12 hours ago, bbfish said:

Right, but just because you and your lawyer can come up with a defense, doesn't mean it will work.  Every single person I've ever spoken with on the NJ justice system in regards to shooting a home invader is that it will go poorly for you once you hit the courts.  I'm only 35 years old, but I've quite literally never heard otherwise.  Sure you're alive, but being sent to prison for it seems like being screwed.  

If you ask my opinion, I think you should be able to shoot any home invader under any circumstance.  I've just been told numerous times that its just not so clear cut that you'll be free to go.  I've never been put in the situation, and all I know is from what I am told, hopefully i'll never have to find out, and if I do, that Im wrong!

My plan is to try to neutralize the situation without force until cops show. That all goes out the window if I feel like I'm being threatened.

21 hours ago, bbfish said:

Glad I live in PA.

I'm pretty sure in NJ if someone breaks into your home it is your duty to retreat til you can't anymore, then you can shoot. It's ridiculous, especially if you have family members in other parts of the home.

1 min ago, ridenfish said:

Glad I live in PA.

I'm pretty sure in NJ if someone breaks into your home it is your duty to retreat til you can't anymore, then you can shoot. It's ridiculous, especially if you have family members in other parts of the home.

Thats what I've always heard as well.  Yea, im gonna back all the way up to a corner in my attic before acting? All i can hope is my dumb 90 lb doodle dog finally mans up and takes one for the team.