Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 27 - July 3

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

 

Warmer weather should push fish to deeper waters. Great morning tides this week coming off a New Moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out early this morning hoping to hook into a striper or two and then some blues (which have been reliably big and aggressive. Water was almost glass and weed free. I heard two other jettys were weeded up pretty good. Could see big bass rolling at the surface but 2-300 yards out, casually working big bait (bait would clear the surface but I could not id them, the bass never made a splash). No bass for me or any of the 3-4 other guys. Blues were smaller and very finicky, less than 5 taken in the 3 hours I was there. Left when the buckets showed up in force

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half day trip off Newport this morning.

Nice water, good tide, some nice swells hitting the reefs.

Eight schoolies on the fly, one in the slot range, one 4 lbs. bluefish, one scup.

Disappointed there wasn't more action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RIsurfing&fishing said:

Had a 125# TA clip bend open last night :thumbd:. Inspiring (that good fish are out there)? or discouraging?

 

If this happens again I will surely convert to tie-direct puritanism

67811046188__C26777DB-4449-4E78-A0B6-DFD5A01299BB.jpeg

Had to have been a lemon clip.  I've had my share of indestructible ones and ones that are soft as butter I always check mine now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had a good night fishing soft plastics in a local cove. Fish were picky until the sun went down.

 

8 fish between the 3 of us. 

 

This guy was the largest, something tried to take a bite out of him.

 

 

IMG_20220628_233038~2.jpg

Edited by JAH158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got out last night, luckily i did not get out till around 9;30 as it seemed like the clown show was wrapping up.  Boat parked in close blocking shore guys with all their lights on ( as if trying to be an ass), and a line up of guys.  Wetsuit got me out further then most and a bunch of elbow room. Sand eels have come in thick and were scattering out of the way as you waded out.  Landed 8 or so fish with a few being slots. Fish were clearly on sand eels as they mostly wanted a red gil, lots of hits and misses and dropped fish.  The water has REALLY jumped up in temps.  Overall good night minus the occasional clueless person.

 

Lots of red weeds in the water, some areas were unfishable due to weeds. Usually you only see that after a few days of a hard SW wind.  Not sure what the hell the deal is with all the weeds this year.

Edited by Kooky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2022 continues to blow my mind. After 39 years on Block my personal worst year ever. About 85 % down in numbers from last year. No bait have I seen at any of my spots. No sand eels, no birds, no bait smell, and no Terns at all picking small bait. Skunks have been the norm on most trips. May was way better and my hopes of a good push of fish soon are doubtful. Got as close as you can to SW ledge last night and it was like a city of lights at the ledge. Must be where the bait has staged up and the bass are staying clear of the beach where they are harassed by giant Grey Seals.  Certainly not going to stop trying but it’s disheartening to say the least. Block is so dead it’s awful. At least from my findings. Sweet water is alive and well. For now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turkaholic said:

2022 continues to blow my mind. After 39 years on Block my personal worst year ever. About 85 % down in numbers from last year. No bait have I seen at any of my spots. No sand eels, no birds, no bait smell, and no Terns at all picking small bait. Skunks have been the norm on most trips. May was way better and my hopes of a good push of fish soon are doubtful. Got as close as you can to SW ledge last night and it was like a city of lights at the ledge. Must be where the bait has staged up and the bass are staying clear of the beach where they are harassed by giant Grey Seals.  Certainly not going to stop trying but it’s disheartening to say the least. Block is so dead it’s awful. At least from my findings. Sweet water is alive and well. For now

Are the seals getting that bad out there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Kooky said:

Are the seals getting that bad out there?

My buddy just did a one night "commando" trip out there (6-23) and he said there were big seals in most every spot he fished. He fished all night btw, and had three dink blues and a 20" bass for his effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

My buddy just did a one night "commando" trip out there (6-23) and he said there were big seals in most every spot he fished. He fished all night btw, and had three dink blues and a 20" bass for his effort.

Wow that is amazing both in lack of fish and amount of seals.  Guess it will be the new outer Cape soon with great Whites and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out last Saturday. We caught a mixed bag, a big blue, micro schoolies, bunch of sea bass, scup, a fluke, a couple short tog, and a giant smooth puffer.  All on the Monomoy Tackle Hardshell Jig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kooky said:

Got out last night, luckily i did not get out till around 9;30 as it seemed like the clown show was wrapping up.  Boat parked in close blocking shore guys with all their lights on ( as if trying to be an ass), and a line up of guys.  Wetsuit got me out further then most and a bunch of elbow room. Sand eels have come in thick and were scattering out of the way as you waded out.  Landed 8 or so fish with a few being slots. Fish were clearly on sand eels as they mostly wanted a red gil, lots of hits and misses and dropped fish.  The water has REALLY jumped up in temps.  Overall good night minus the occasional clueless person.

 

Lots of red weeds in the water, some areas were unfishable due to weeds. Usually you only see that after a few days of a hard SW wind.  Not sure what the hell the deal is with all the weeds this year.

X2 on the weeds, can’t seem to shake them this year. Really makes for a frustrating night when you know the fish are there but can’t take up more than 3 turns on a plug 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.