Livliner

Roof job- Hurricane nailing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Getting my roof done, have it narrowed down to two contractors. Live in coastal area southern Maine with strong winds. Steep roof 9-12 pitch. Question, both contractors mentioned hurricane nailing of the same manuf architectual shingles. One said 6 nails per shingle the other 8. I guess they are nailed in groups of two.   ..   ..   ..  vs ..  ..  .. ..

Will check info on bundle package if listed

Matter much.?

Usta be three tab shingles, five nails. Then the architectural style came out and it was six nails per. I cant speak to any codes in Maine, but it's me, I'm going seven nails. One extra nail per shingle doesn't amount to shite in the end.

As long as ya don't have any shines !

7 hours ago, reel em in said:

Placement of the nails is very important. What kind of shingles are 

you installing ? 

Architectural by Certainteed. Three tab I think.  

I think 6 nails is pretty standard these days.  Check the mfg spec sheet and just make sure they follow the specs. With air nailers, there's no reason for anyone to skimp on nails, take's just an extra bump

It is also important that the nail guns are not over or under driving the nails.

I have one 24x36 12pitch that I did in three tabs 22 years ago that will need Architectural Shingles soon.

17 hours ago, Livliner said:

If they are three tab, then forget about "hurricane" nailing. It takes five nails for each full shingle. One at each end, and one above each tab split. I guess you could double nail each and do ten nails. But I don't know if that would help. 

If they are architectural shingles, then six or seven is fine, as long as the installer does it right with his placement. And there are no shines. 

BTW, shines don't necessarily have to be seen. If a nail is placed within an inch of an architectural shingle seam, it's too close. Offending nail(s) will rust and fail and can be more easily be torn by wind. 1 1/2" minimum.

Too many guys go too close.

7 hours ago, CapeDave said:

It is also important that the nail guns are not over or under driving the nails.

I have one 24x36 12pitch that I did in three tabs 22 years ago that will need Architectural Shingles soon.

Remember staples? They usta tear off in a simple Nor'easter around here. I did a three tab thirty-some years ago on a big Cape. 12 pitch on the main roof and doghouses. But big windows on the second floor made the wrap around porch roof just a 3 pitch. GAF rep told me that if I shortened the exposure to three inches, that they would still warranty it. Lasted the full 25 years. 

20 hours ago, Livliner said:

no such thing as architectural three tab shingles. Also no one should be using 3 tab shingles these day, cheap shingles. 

3 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

If they are three tab, then forget about "hurricane" nailing. It takes five nails for each full shingle. One at each end, and one above each tab split. I guess you could double nail each and do ten nails. But I don't know if that would help. 

If they are architectural shingles, then six or seven is fine, as long as the installer does it right with his placement. And there are no shines. 

BTW, shines don't necessarily have to be seen. If a nail is placed within an inch of an architectural shingle seam, it's too close. Offending nail(s) will rust and fail and can be more easily be torn by wind. 1 1/2" minimum.

Too many guys go too close.

I did alot of roofing in my day. One thing one guy taught me was to always read the installation instructions on shingles. Meaning how to cut your starter pieces. I bet 99% of roofers out there don't read the instructions and just cut away. 

3 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Remember staples? They usta tear off in a simple Nor'easter around here. I did a three tab thirty-some years ago on a big Cape. 12 pitch on the main roof and doghouses. But big windows on the second floor made the wrap around porch roof just a 3 pitch. GAF rep told me that if I shortened the exposure to three inches, that they would still warranty it. Lasted the full 25 years. 

Thanks Ben & others for taking the time to respond..Lot going on with a roof job and unfortunately lot to go wrong after install. Sometimes due diligence, checking products, references and contractor skill still isn't enough. Can only do so much & hope for the best. Learned a bunch about, different ridge vents, ice shield, underlayment etc and even nailing now. Its all good. 

15 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Last roof I did was metal, Sarkskin SA followed by `1x4 SYP screwed to the trusses then 16' standing seam enclosed fastner.

I would put Sarkskin Sa under any roof! Great stuff and stand up company had a bad roll I bought on Cape Cod, no slip 

no questions replaced by dealer in Florida.