mark d

install gomexus knob on 704 handle

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

handle day continues. one down one to go. if anybody that has intstalled a gomexus knob on a 704 handle would be kind enough to pass on their experience it would be much appreciated

as always thanks guys

gomex handle.jpg

Posted (edited)

FAEEB07C-4FDF-4BCB-820F-B505E26F5A37.jpeg.e3f8c71b373e85610ffce2c75b1444f9.jpegThat one, the knob shaft has to be very carefully drilled or ground off and then punch through very carefully!

I drilled mine out after I took a punch and scoured a mark for the drillbit to ride on the knob shaft pin!

Make sure you tape everything up so as not to scratch anything!

I was hoping 7Rivers would chime in because he has quite an arsenal of customized reels I would like to hear how he does things too!

I’m sure there’s got to the videos all over YouTube for this, because it’s gaining a lot of favorability among anglers!

Here’s mine!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
added pic

looks great. what i really like is that reel is fished. looks battle scarred 

Mark l have done many but l always made a new knob screw, lf you have a hand drill or drill press it's a walk in the park once you did your first one.

This should do it for.

14 mins ago, mark d said:

Yes, that has definitely been through many battles lol!

But, for an old reel the drag is hard to beat!

You can literally throw that thing in the water, let it sit on the bottom, pick it right back up and use it, then take home clean it out, repack with grease and its go to go!

Ask me how I know LOL!

EA

1 hour ago, LB said:

Mark l have done many but l always made a new knob screw, lf you have a hand drill or drill press it's a walk in the park once you did your first one.

This should do it for.

There you go, LB hit it right on the head. I used a drill press as well. The main thing is to get a good center punch, to center it. That way it doesnt wander, the drill bit. Start with a small drill bit, then work your way up. Sometimes, I will file the area on the pin I will drill, before I prick punch it, to get a flat surface to punch. I always make sure I wrap the handle best I can as well. I have  brass inserts that cover the jaws in my vise as well, to keep from damaging the handle while drilling. All in all, never hurry, slow, nice and easy. 

1 min ago, 7 Rivers said:

There you go, LB hit it right on the head. I used a drill press as well. The main thing is to get a good center punch, to center it. That way it doesnt wander, the drill bit. Start with a small drill bit, then work your way up. Sometimes, I will file the area on the pin I will drill, before I prick punch it, to get a flat surface to punch. I always make sure I wrap the handle best I can as well. I have  brass inserts that cover the jaws in my vise as well, to keep from damaging the handle while drilling. All in all, never hurry, slow, nice and easy. 

Should also say, make sure that the shank of the pin, bolt that is going to be replaced, is the same size as the drill bit you use. You dont want it to loose.

Posted (edited)

14 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

I started to watch the video and was just too long lol!

I kinda stopped, right when I didn’t watch him tape up the handle lol!

In any event if you happen to over drill the diameter, you can use a little epoxy!

If I can find my other really beat up 716z,  that one I messed up because I was in a hurry lol and I actually used JB weld to fill in the hole, but I retired that reel a while ago, but it functioned just fine what I took it flatty fishing a few years ago and I ran into a big a-s ray with 20 pound braid!

Edit: I also meant to say you could always use a round file to do this job also after you start the hole, is more time consuming that way and you have to be precise!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

1 hour ago, mark d said:

For some reason it quoted the wrong person I can’t edit it out lol!

EA

31 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

For some reason it quoted the wrong person I can’t edit it out lol!

EA

lol, got ya..

l bought one of those alum. knobs l didn't like the feel and were cold in the fall, so l started to make my own wooden knobs along with the screw if needed. Some l have made for my reels, one of my VS and Penn 430 & 714 along with many others.

Wood is a lot warmer and looks cool.20210925_113454.jpg.bd80fc7a879c554c25c9efdf5cb75e70.jpg20210501_142022.jpg.f917b92d5fdc2b7816bafcc471cd02a1.jpg20220614_192815.jpg.2a71785628e4c0c4e7732418628abc75.jpg

5 hours ago, mark d said:

handle day continues. one down one to go. if anybody that has intstalled a gomexus knob on a 704 handle would be kind enough to pass on their experience it would be much appreciated

as always thanks guys

gomex handle.jpg

Mark are you back in the States?

hey 

3 hours ago, LB said:

This should do it for.

lb, thanks. that video is exactly what i needed....also i really liked this guy. there was the distinct sound of ice cubes tinkling in glass at 6:02 and 8:38. i just flew home yesterday and i am now sipping on duty free johnny walker gold so i appreciate this. also he is wearing a hamms t-shirt.  this was the cheap beer we drank in alaska when we didnt have any money which was like always. 

as i am in my cups now i will wait till tomorrow to start

thanks to all you guys for your help. this stuff aint rocket science but if you have access to knowledgeable people that are willing to help why not ask ?

lb, our replies just passed each other. i got back to costa rica yesterday. snuck in some reel work in between the honey-do-list projects today. been gone 4 months, list is long