Dthfrmabove1

18wt thanks HL !!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Just finished my CTS 18wt build for sharks and tuna. Want to thank HL for the incredible customer service and great blank. I have attached a couple pics on a scale to show the total weight of this build. I have to say the rod is a dream to cast and is very light in hand. I let a friend of mine who is an avid fly fisherman and he  said he could easily cast into the backing with the Rio Leviathan 750 gr sink tip fly line. He was very surprised and gave high praise on the rod itself. It is paired with a Colton 1315 reel with upgraded drag stack. Also want to give a shout out to Bob who is awesome to say the least !!! I feel I got lucky with both guys with their knowledge and professionalism. You two will be the first to get pics 

CD1303A7-12BF-4495-AC8C-6B0FFE5AE7EC.jpeg

B8343332-03FD-4ED3-A3CC-6DCD9B694F87.jpeg

277B1D60-BE4F-4A96-9749-BBF7907352F2.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Heavy artillery.  Best of luck with that new outfit.  No experience with CTS but I've got several Colton reels.  Agree that Bob Filger is super on customer service and support and a lot of fun to talk to on the phone.  

Edited by bmac

*Rod is a CTS blank. 8’6” long and an 18wt. 

*American Tackle Pentalite titanium guides 9 total guides plus tiptop sizes 20,16,12 and size 8 runners. Sizes 20 and 16 are double foot. The rest single foot. Guides and ferrule are double wrapped in A size thread 

* Alps aluminum reelseat size 18 

* custom made modified  full wells grip. I started with 1/2” cork rings and made a fullwells but turned it to compliment my hand thickness and diameter. I pushed the middle of the grip a bit further back and made it more pronounced. I felt it fit my hand a bit better because I have larger thumb muscles resulting in a deeper pocket in my palm that the handle rests in. Basically just sanded it till it was more comfortable. Lol started with 80 grit to knock it down and ended with 400 before using cork seal on it 

* things I would do different. Use a true fly reelseat and not a modified spinning, big mistake on my part for sure. Other than that I am happy with the build and it is built to last for sure. I used the alps spinning because all of my sharks reels have alps on them and I love the fact they never come unbuttoned and have full confidence in them as a heavy duty reelseat. I am going to abuse and punish this rod and reel and see what type of pressure it can take. With over a couple hundred sharks with a spinning rod form the beach I wanted to try something new, so let’s see how this holds up DDAA05C9-5449-43B8-86A4-19E8525E610F.jpeg.59a1f71ce5072b3f0adf71f95051b4fa.jpeg