jjdbike

Sharpening Knives: Sharp rods?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have Global knives. From what I've read, the blades on these have a longer pointier blade angle than some other knives. This results in a more delicate edge.

A recent thread on knives has prompted me to look into sharpening rods (i.e. steel, ceramic or diamond).

The Global site says that Diamond rods will bring back a damaged edge quicker and will not break if dropped like a ceramic one will. It also says the ceramic will create a sharper edge if used regularly and the ceramic needs maintenance as the pores will clog.

I did some poking around on the river site. I was shocked by the prices. The ceramic sharpening rods was $280, the diamond rod was $189. Does this sound right or is that really high?
Can this who know please share some insights, advice and recommendations on diamond steels vs ceramic sharpening rods?

Thanks in advance!

JD

Sharpening Knives: Sharp rods?

I'm thinking not so much. I've been using this large double sided diamond stone on all my kitchen knifes, including Shuns for a while now and greatly prefer it to the sticks. Sticks are really for honing or straightening the edge of the knife, but the diamond stone can either do a light touchup in a few seconds a side or really sharpen it up a lot in a min. or so, as well. There is no preparation needed. No soaking or preforming ancient ceremonial rituals, just go at it. I lay the blade such that as much of the edge as possible is on the stone and back and forth the short way. So you can do a lot of short strokes very quickly. If the knife is pretty dull a short time on the rough side 1st is best then the smoother side. In short order you'll have a paper slicing edge. With a stick only a very small area of the edge is in contact with the stick at any time, not so with  a large stone. It's much more efficient and easier to get a really nice, just gliding through that tomato edge.

Besides all that stick and blade flashing in the middle of the kitchen like your

Zoro at your local drag queen story hour is so food tv circa 2004 anyway.:).

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 5.24.14 PM.png

In addition to the diamond stick I mentioned in the other thread I have a cheap ceramic stick too. Works for the

Globals since they don't get very dull. Other knives not so much. I hate the water stone I got that was recommended for them.

Thing to remember is that none of these are the same as a 'steel', which is meant to tune the rolled edges of cooking knives without actually removing much metal. Globals are so hard they don't really need that.

13 hours ago, gellfex said:

In addition to the diamond stick I mentioned in the other thread I have a cheap ceramic stick too. Works for the

Globals since they don't get very dull. Other knives not so much. I hate the water stone I got that was recommended for them.

Thing to remember is that none of these are the same as a 'steel', which is meant to tune the rolled edges of cooking knives without actually removing much metal. Globals are so hard they don't really need that.

I have the Global two stage sharpener w/ those stone wheels. I don't like using it much because it takes too much metal and they don't need that degree of sharpening. 

I was thinking a ceramic rod would be a good tool for, as you said, quick tune ups.

I wonder why the Global ceramic rods are so expensive?

JD

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I have the Global two stage sharpener w/ those stone wheels. I don't like using it much because it takes too much metal and they don't need that degree of sharpening. 

I was thinking a ceramic rod would be a good tool for, as you said, quick tune ups.

I wonder why the Global ceramic rods are so expensive?

JD

Obviously the Global sharpener is expensive because they can!  Mine is $15 from Amazon, ASIN: B000B8FW0O. I had one roll off the counter and shatter, I made a hexagon 'washer' of 1/4" rubber for it, slid on like a guard on a knife to keep it from rolling.

51NxG1Ncp6L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve had this Global ceramic steel for 20+ years and haven’t been able to get the hang of it . I think it was about 80$ back then . I use a Dexter Russel diamond steel for work purchased from my local tackle shop . This is the best online shop I’ve found for price on knives and gear  https://www.sointuusa.com/global-honing-rods-and-sharpening-stones/ . I’m fortunate to have a local knife shop that has an excellent selection of culinary tools that I have purchased most of my knives from . Their service is excellent . http://www.willeyknives.com/

6F45593C-A9D1-47C3-8F92-F7CC7E8CB3C4.jpeg

Edited by StriperReleaser

I have the ceramic steel...not crazy about it. Got a few nics in it and am not sure if i can hone them out...i lije the tri edge steel much better but i still suck at sharpening. 

Steel rods aren't for sharpening, they're for straightening the edge.

Every time you use a knife you bend over the microscopic edge, using the rod straightens it back out. 

It feels like you sharpened it but you really didn't, you just repaired it.

The ceramic and diamond stuff I don't know about. If they actually remove material aren't you changing your blade shape? On a French style blade you'll end up with a hollow on the flat part and find yourself not cutting all the way through.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, jjdbike said:

The ceramic sharpening rods was $280, the diamond rod was $189. Does this sound right or is that really high?

That's absurd money for honing rods. A home cook doesn't need them at all, especial with a harder bladed knife like a Global. While they aren't the hardest, they are in the "harder" range.

Strop on newsprint or cardboard if the edge gets a little less keen, then a pass or two on a stone after prep.

I have Arkansas, DMT, Spyderco, and Japanese synthetic waterstones. They all have their ups and downs, all of them will produce a good enough edge, by which I mean they can get a knife sharp enough to cut through newsprint set on its edge, or peel slices off a freestanding tomato.

3 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I have Arkansas, DMT, Spyderco, and Japanese synthetic waterstones. They all have their ups and downs, all of them will produce a good enough edge, by which I mean they can get a knife sharp enough to cut through newsprint set on its edge, or peel slices off a freestanding tomato.

I do that with sandpaper and a few squares of plate glass

Waterstones are too much work to maintain

DMT DS4F 14-Inch Diamond Steel Sharpening Rod

fishcutter friends have laughed at me.. but it works well enough to shave

16 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I do that with sandpaper and a few squares of plate glass

Waterstones are too much work to maintain

Mine are Shaptons. The work required is to put some water on them before use, and I level them on a diamond plate every couple of sharpenings. Takes a few extra minutes here and there. Yes, if you wait to level until you stone looks like a skateboard ramp, you're going to have a bad day. That's one of the trade-offs, compared to diamond or ceramic. They do provide better feedback, and the slurry generated makes for a very consistent finish on large bevel areas.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:24 PM, Sudsy said:

Steel rods aren't for sharpening, they're for straightening the edge.

Every time you use a knife you bend over the microscopic edge, using the rod straightens it back out. 

It feels like you sharpened it but you really didn't, you just repaired it.

The ceramic and diamond stuff I don't know about. If they actually remove material aren't you changing your blade shape? On a French style blade you'll end up with a hollow on the flat part and find yourself not cutting all the way through.

You are right on with this!! A steel does not sharpen a knife, just removes the roll the edge gets from use. I worked in a butcher shop and fish market for 7 years and know my knife's.

Out in the "field", I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker for tunning up fillet knives and such.  At home, I have a Crook stick for quick touch-ups, but for more in depth sharpening, I used a water stone.