ged

Nantucket Shoals Fluke

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dah seee said:

I wouldn't say googan central. It's a mixture of crowd. The guys that are saying that it's googan central are the snobs who thinks they need to go on a 6 pack charter to catch. Plenty of DD's I've seen caught by newbs and sharpies alike. The guys that stay at it are the ones rewarded. Yes there maybe one side of the boat that catches more consistently than the other and some tangles here and there but that is expected. You actually learn more on a party boat by observing the people around you. 

I am going up there the weekend of the 4th. I bring 3 conventional rods in ML, M, & MH. The medium heavy covers up to 14oz. The ML is for shallow water bucktailing up to 6oz and the M for all around. Lami Triflex and Rodgeek blanks. Will be bringing my own native caught squid for bait. The ones they supply are not as effective usually they brine them in sea salt to make them tougher to stay on the hook. 

7/2-7/3

Done several Helen H Shoals trips … not the overnighters but the full day trips.  Had great trips each time, many big fluke and sea bass.  My party boat strategy … get to the boat early and in line early.  Proceed directly to the pulpit when they let you board and secure your spots up there.  You don’t want to be alongside or in the stern in my opinion.  Potential tangle city if there are  inexperienced anglers aboard … letting out line like they’re fishing in in 300’ or something.  The pulpit is the place to be to avoid it.  All the way out of possible! 

Bring plenty of 4” yellow gulp.  Matt and the crew are usually great and will take good care of you.   Enjoy your trip and report back.   Wish I was going …

Unlike most party boats, the Helen H crowd has typically been repeat customers, the majority of which were decent fishermen.  Although, by Helen H, I really mean The Angler and the ultra-limited trips.  Having been on multiple s**t shows out of Gloucester, the Helen H is the Park Place of party boats. 

3 hours ago, riggler said:

What line are you guys using on your trips ?

Im assuming braid, but what #test and what do you use for a leader ?

30 braid 

30 fluoro leader 

How long is the boat ride to get there? It seems like an awful long ways to go to catch fluke even if they maybe a bit larger than those closer to the mainland. 

13 hours ago, Northshore Bob said:

Done several Helen H Shoals trips … not the overnighters but the full day trips.  Had great trips each time, many big fluke and sea bass.  My party boat strategy … get to the boat early and in line early.  Proceed directly to the pulpit when they let you board and secure your spots up there.  You don’t want to be alongside or in the stern in my opinion.  Potential tangle city if there are  inexperienced anglers aboard … letting out line like they’re fishing in in 300’ or something.  The pulpit is the place to be to avoid it.  All the way out of possible! 

Bring plenty of 4” yellow gulp.  Matt and the crew are usually great and will take good care of you.   Enjoy your trip and report back.   Wish I was going …

4” or 6”? This is the first I have heard about 4”. I have a lot of both. 

Apparently the HH hasn’t been fishing the shoals but is saving money and only fishing within sight of land. Catching nothing larger than 6 lb.  People are pissed!

My trip was cancelled due to weather

23 mins ago, ged said:

You should be happy. I just heard from a guy who fished Bad Influence two days ago and all they got was 7 4#er. The guys is retired and fishes ALOT so it wasn’t him. Apparently the shoals bite is off. 

59 mins ago, ged said:

It would have been pretty sketchy out there with all this wind and T-storms. 

I can personally attest that the shoals bite has been way off for the last week or so. Puts captains in a difficult choice—go out there and risk a skunk or try to convince your fares to fish local for smaller fish. 

With that said, if a captain/operation changes a trip from a Nantucket shoals trip to an inshore trip, they need to (1) tell everyone with as much notice as possible, (2) offer to give them a full refund if they’re no longer interested and (3) even if they do sail, reduce the fare to reflect the much shorter sail time. As I understand it, the operation in question here did none of those things, which would piss me off too. 

On 7/2/2022 at 10:32 PM, jmei said:

With that said, if a captain/operation changes a trip from a Nantucket shoals trip to an inshore trip, they need to (1) tell everyone with as much notice as possible, (2) offer to give them a full refund if they’re no longer interested and (3) even if they do sail, reduce the fare to reflect the much shorter sail time. As I understand it, the operation in question here did none of those things, which would piss me off too. 

They did the opposite. They added a $40 fuel surcharge and didn’t go to the shoals. …

9 hours ago, hookmeup said:

They did the opposite. They added a $40 fuel surcharge and didn’t go to the shoals. …

Ouch. I would have been disappointed to book a trip to the shoals and not fish the shoals