ged

Nantucket Shoals Fluke

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I booked my first Nantucket Shoals trip on the Helen H. I have searched and read everything I can find here on SOL. I have a few questions:

Do people bring a bait rod? (For mackerel or squid)

Do most people bring 2 conventionals or would 1 medium heavy or heavy rod suffice for jigs/teasers/popcorn rigs?

With only 100’ +/- depths is it safe to assume a small, strong conventional would work?

Curious what blank or finished rod would be ideal? (I read that 10-24oz weight is not unusual)

Is it better to just take the tote tak rod and worry about preparing terminal tackle and jigs/teasers/gulp?

Thanks. 

The shoals consist of 2 parts, the shallow part can be about ~20-30 ft, then the deep part 80+ ft. Bring med and heavy, you don't know what you run into. There might be halibut out there. One was caught on a charter boat not too long ago on Lady sea(?) that was 80lbs

The Helen H is a difficult boat to fish from in those currents because of the number of fishermen they allow on board. They run another smaller boat that restricts the number of fishermen to a reasonable number, more expensive but worth it. My first trip on the Helen H was nothing but tangles, with experienced anglers being early, getting the good spots, having the right tackle to handle a 24 oz sinkers in a strong current. I also noticed that the Gulp baits out-fished the squid supplied. With that being said, the size of the fluke out there is incredible, with 12 lbs not unusual.

3 hours ago, zeke04 said:

The Helen H is a difficult boat to fish from in those currents because of the number of fishermen they allow on board. They run another smaller boat that restricts the number of fishermen to a reasonable number, more expensive but worth it. My first trip on the Helen H was nothing but tangles, with experienced anglers being early, getting the good spots, having the right tackle to handle a 24 oz sinkers in a strong current. I also noticed that the Gulp baits out-fished the squid supplied. With that being said, the size of the fluke out there is incredible, with 12 lbs not unusual.

I am optimistic the cost and the whole sleeping at sea thing would weed out less serious people. Day trips I would understand googans. 

There’s was a Nantucket shoals report in the tavern fishing reports thread a few days ago. I think on Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

There’s was a Nantucket shoals report in the tavern fishing reports thread a few days ago. I think on Wednesday. 

Are you trying to get me to the tavern?

There won’t be any need for a bait rod. It is too early for snappers at the dock.    Bring the best you can get - I got finger size tinker mackerel - frozen - from that bait place at the rotary in ware ham.      And I had fresh butterfish and fresh snappers.   But I went in August.     

I would plan to top out at 12 ounces.   In you need 24 - sit back and have a beer and shoot the chit with Matty.    Ask him about the Grad student from UMass that he collected tuna stomach contents for. :D

4 hours ago, ged said:

I am optimistic the cost and the whole sleeping at sea thing would weed out less serious people. Day trips I would understand googans. 

For whatever reason, the Helen H is googan central. I expected differently too but each trip was the same. For the most part it's not a serious crowd. 

Much, Much, much better off going on a six pack. Problem is that most of the six packs that do this type of fishing are already booked for the season. Maybe you can find a cancellation?

19 hours ago, ged said:

Are you trying to get me to the tavern?

You don’t want to go argue with a bunch of grumpy old opinionated men???

On 6/24/2022 at 5:59 PM, ged said:

I booked my first Nantucket Shoals trip on the Helen H. I have searched and read everything I can find here on SOL. I have a few questions:

Do people bring a bait rod? (For mackerel or squid)

Do most people bring 2 conventionals or would 1 medium heavy or heavy rod suffice for jigs/teasers/popcorn rigs?

With only 100’ +/- depths is it safe to assume a small, strong conventional would work?

Curious what blank or finished rod would be ideal? (I read that 10-24oz weight is not unusual)

Is it better to just take the tote tak rod and worry about preparing terminal tackle and jigs/teasers/gulp?

Thanks. 

I was on one last year, make sure you booked the ultra limited, doing another one on a Monday In August.

I used a lamiglas acid wrap 1-3 with an avet for the trip and was fine. 4-6 oz bucktails fished the skinner method. Lots of fish up to 7lvs

23 hours ago, FisherMan120 said:

For whatever reason, the Helen H is googan central. I expected differently too but each trip was the same. For the most part it's not a serious crowd. 

Well not all of us can earn the Pro Staff jacket like you ….    :p

I wouldn't say googan central. It's a mixture of crowd. The guys that are saying that it's googan central are the snobs who thinks they need to go on a 6 pack charter to catch. Plenty of DD's I've seen caught by newbs and sharpies alike. The guys that stay at it are the ones rewarded. Yes there maybe one side of the boat that catches more consistently than the other and some tangles here and there but that is expected. You actually learn more on a party boat by observing the people around you. 

I am going up there the weekend of the 4th. I bring 3 conventional rods in ML, M, & MH. The medium heavy covers up to 14oz. The ML is for shallow water bucktailing up to 6oz and the M for all around. Lami Triflex and Rodgeek blanks. Will be bringing my own native caught squid for bait. The ones they supply are not as effective usually they brine them in sea salt to make them tougher to stay on the hook. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

What line are you guys using on your trips ?

Im assuming braid, but what #test and what do you use for a leader ?

Edited by riggler