HugeDinghy

Odd question

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

So last weekend I sanded and stained my small deck off the side of my house. It’s off the slider that inlet the dog out of, to go to the bathroom on his rocks. 

since I stained it, my dog, who is older, is slipping on it a little. He has bad back hips. 

do another coat and lightly sprinkle some sand in it? 

I don’t want to do that deck saver thing because it won’t match. 

what are my options? 

Stain has nothing to retain the sand. You would have to do a poly coat or something like that to "hold" the sand. You could lay down those tread stickers or do a finish with the sand in it. We use grip paints at work for our truck bumpers and loading dock edges but that stuff is either yellow or black. 

1 min ago, Ditchbag said:

Korkers for the weimaraner!!!

How silly would THAT be?!?! 

Everyone knows you need thumbs to use a wrench to change or replace worn cleats...

My gosh man, what DO you think about?!?!

11 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Stain has nothing to retain the sand. You would have to do a poly coat or something like that to "hold" the sand. You could lay down those tread stickers or do a finish with the sand in it. We use grip paints at work for our truck bumpers and loading dock edges but that stuff is either yellow or black. 

Those tread stickers will ruin the wood over time though right? This side of the house is shade all day. Mold issues it’s why I had to sand the **** out of it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t have an answer to your question but I also have an older dog with mobility issues.  We made him a ramp to get off and on our rear deck.  

I’m sure you will figure out a way to accommodate his needs. Old dogs are just so worth the effort.  Good luck.

Edited by Barley
Typo

6 mins ago, Sharkey N Sons said:

How silly would THAT be?!?! 

Everyone knows you need thumbs to use a wrench to change or replace worn cleats...

My gosh man, what DO you think about?!?!

16561095175207385389757691071970.jpg

32 mins ago, Scallywag said:

If the stain he used had enough body to make it slippery it will probably hold sand.

19 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Those tread stickers will ruin the wood over time though right? This side of the house is shade all day. Mold issues it’s why I had to sand the **** out of it. 

I don't think so. Not sure how you mean. If anything, they're probably protecting it to some degree. The shade is a problem though. If the wood was "sealed" on the bottom side, drainage could be an issue. 

I've gone into plenty of houses with wheelchair ramps and stairs with that stuff on it for years and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Is this just treated deck boards or are we talking teak or something like that? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, Scallywag said:

I don't think so. Not sure how you mean. If anything, they're probably protecting it to some degree. The shade is a problem though. If the wood was "sealed" on the bottom side, drainage could be an issue. 

I've gone into plenty of houses with wheelchair ramps and stairs with that stuff on it for years and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Is this just treated deck boards or are we talking teak or something like that? 

Thanks. Stained normal deck boards spindles etc. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

1 min ago, ted527 said:

If the stain he used had enough body to make it slippery it will probably hold sand.

Maybe but he also sanded it. Might have sanded it too much or too high grit. 

I work with stain here and there but I haven't stained a deck since I was a teenager. 

Penetrating stain vs a solid stain or topcoat stuff... don't know. 

What kinda stain was it Dinghy? 

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

Thanks. Stained normal deck boards spindles etc. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it then. Worst case, just replace the bad boards. 

Just now, Barley said:

I don’t have an answer to your question but I also have an older dog with mobility issues.  We made him a ramp to get off and on our rear deck.  

I’m sure you will figure out a way to accommodate his needs. Old dogs are just so worth the effort.  Good luck.

^^^^^  This   ^^^^^