gdc23

Canal bike setup

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, zak-striper said:

Also, the Scusset pier building has a open area with a roof. A bike with rods won't fit under it without clipping the roof.

And the sound it makes when you go under there will give you nightmares!

6 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

One time a bunch of years ago after sleepily making the 2.5 hour midnight run down I got the bike off the rack and loaded up. Rode through that parking lot and up on the sidewalk heading to the office. Somehow managed to notice the roof when I was maybe a foot away from rod damage. Brakes never worked too great so I still brushed it with the 1209. Surprised that thing didn't damage the roof.  :laugh:

I came close to shortening my 1208 on the roof overhang at the fish pier building. Stopped and backed out just in time. You couldn't beat those original All Stars. I searched for years for someone selling a 1208 in spinning, with no luck--mine was conventional, built long before spinning took over the Canal. The trigger seat would have made it hard to convert.

23 hours ago, K Foley said:

Don't drop too low. The rod butts can hit the ground on uneven terrain better off hitting some branches they are more forgiving. You can snap off a rod but from solid ground and RR track approaches. 

My bad on this comment. I did not realize how high your basket is. You might be better off with lower double baskets. I think this set up is too top heavy especially if you put a fish on top. You're gonna need a bigger kick stand for sure.

Never had a kickstand I could trust. Even with a golfball..  Made a notched piece of pvc and hooked it into the rear basket when parking. As long as you made sure the front tire couldn't roll out it's sturdy as hell.

Still never trust it with gear unsupervised.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, K Foley said:

My bad on this comment. I did not realize how high your basket is. You might be better off with lower double baskets. I think this set up is too top heavy especially if you put a fish on top. You're gonna need a bigger kick stand for sure.

I ended up getting this kickstand, its a twin leg and has an 18" spread when open. Rated up to 200 lbs. Its made for bikes with Child seats etc. so should work well. I realize Im a little top heavy but was concerned with my boots hitting the baskets if I went with twin rear baskets. The rod butt should be approx 6" - 7" off the ground so we shall see how it works out. The guys with the large twin baskets on the rear, do you have trouble with your feet hitting them while peddaling ?

41zefvHpgqL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Edited by gdc23

2 hours ago, gdc23 said:

I ended up getting this kickstand, its a twin leg and has an 18" spread when open. Rated up to 200 lbs. Its made for bikes with Child seats etc. so should work well. I realize Im a little top heavy but was concerned with my boots hitting the baskets if I went with twin rear baskets. The rod butt should be approx 6" - 7" off the ground so we shall see how it works out. The guys with the large twin baskets on the rear, do you have trouble with your feet hitting them while peddaling ?

I have a double basket and my heals hit  it sometimes and I have small feet. You need a long frame for those baskets. 

10 hours ago, gdc23 said:

The guys with the large twin baskets on the rear, do you have trouble with your feet hitting them while peddaling ?

No. No trouble at all. 

12 hours ago, gdc23 said:

The guys with the large twin baskets on the rear, do you have trouble with your feet hitting them while peddaling ?

On my previous bike I did.  It was a smaller frame women's schwinn mountain bike.  I had to peddle with my heels.
IIRC it has more to do with the design/angle of the upper rear fork and location of the brake mounting that affects this.

I did some estimates from just looking at photos so obviously not that accurate, but it looked like both the Wald large and medium baskets would hit my heels. I have a size 12 foot and the rubber boots are anything but petite. 

you can gain some clearance by doing this.   i used an aluminum ruler so i wouldn't have to measure.  :laugh:   Actually the ruler was cheaper than buying aluminum stock.  

Baskets.jpg.6bbc240bbafe8fa76a96725cac96028c.jpg

On 6/25/2022 at 10:22 AM, Jighead75 said:

x2 NEVER LEAVE GEAR ON THE BIKE !!!!!!!!!!

Trikes don’t fall over :)