gdc23

Canal bike setup

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

1 min ago, pogie_boy said:

One of the last straws was when I asked my (now ex-)wife if I could use the comfort bike I bought for her some 8 years earlier that she rode a total of 1 time and set it up with a basket and rod holders.   She said "no."

Those things are really "step thru", have super low low gears and super comfy seats.   Not very manly, and you have to find a way to mount it on your bike rack, but other than an electric bike you probably couldn't find a better suited bike for the application.

By the end of my time fishing I can barely swing a leg over the bar.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

One of the last straws was when I asked my (now ex-)wife if I could use the comfort bike I bought for her some 8 years earlier that she rode a total of 1 time and set it up with a basket and rod holders.   She said "no."

Those things are really "step thru", have super low low gears and super comfy seats.   Not very manly, and you have to find a way to mount it on your bike rack, but other than an electric bike you probably couldn't find a better suited bike for the application.

you certainly got that right.   i was a doubter till i bought one and set it up.  :)

I used to ask some of my canal fishing buddies if their wives knew they were using their bikes.

Edited by FizzyFish

Posted (edited)

I have a three speed womens bike that is damn near perfect. 

i have one tube angled and one not. 

980610DA-1D2C-4F80-B940-BF8999C92BD1.jpeg

Edited by HugeDinghy

13 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I have a three speed wines bike that is damn near perfect. 

i have one tube angled and one not. 

980610DA-1D2C-4F80-B940-BF8999C92BD1.jpeg

Ok I'll take it!

Thank you for all the replies and information.

I have dropped the rod holders down another 4" after taking these photos, now I have to get one of those double leg kickstands

Biria-1.jpeg

Biria 2.jpeg

I'd also put a thumb operated bell on the handlebars to be used to alert others when approaching them from the rear.  

Beats always yelling out......"on your right"....or, "on your left."  when you're passing.

2 kick stands worked for me. Some put a golf ball on the bottom so it won't sink in the grass or gravel. Two is better than one!

On 6/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, FizzyFish said:

you certainly got that right.   i was a doubter till i bought one and set it up.  :)

I used to ask some of my canal fishing buddies if their wives knew they were using their bikes.

Proper term is not  a women's bike it's a "Step Thru"

4 hours ago, Joe G said:

I'd also put a thumb operated bell on the handlebars to be used to alert others when approaching them from the rear.  

Beats always yelling out......"on your right"....or, "on your left."  when you're passing.

and never give your fish to a stranger to carry for you :kissthrow:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, gdc23 said:

Thank you for all the replies and information.

I have dropped the rod holders down another 4" after taking these photos, now I have to get one of those double leg kickstands

Biria-1.jpeg

Biria 2.jpeg

Don't drop too low. The rod butts can hit the ground on uneven terrain better off hitting some branches they are more forgiving. You can snap off a rod but from solid ground and RR track approaches. 

2 hours ago, K Foley said:

Proper term is not  a women's bike it's a "Step Thru"

When I was a kid, we called it a sissy's bike. :laugh:

15 hours ago, K Foley said:

2 kick stands worked for me. Some put a golf ball on the bottom so it won't sink in the grass or gravel. Two is better than one!

I remember buying my rear kickstand at good old Benny's.  Bought my large size saddle basket there also.   I only used that one kickstand, but I always used an old, cut down to size hockey stick to prop up the bike on windy days.

Yep, I also used a golf ball.  Think I might have painted it red.  

On 6/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, zak-striper said:

Also, the Scusset pier building has a open area with a roof. A bike with rods won't fit under it without clipping the roof.

One time a bunch of years ago after sleepily making the 2.5 hour midnight run down I got the bike off the rack and loaded up. Rode through that parking lot and up on the sidewalk heading to the office. Somehow managed to notice the roof when I was maybe a foot away from rod damage. Brakes never worked too great so I still brushed it with the 1209. Surprised that thing didn't damage the roof.  :laugh: