gdc23

Canal bike setup

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Putting together a canal bike and wondering what the max height for a rod tip would be to not have any problems on the service road or any of the popular entry areas regarding power lines' any info is appreciated

Thank you

gdc

Some of those trees can sneak up on you when your chatting with your buddies or something catches your eye on the access road.

If they hang less than 10 feet, there's not much you can do with a 10 foot pole.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Tree branches are what you want to look out for. Angle the rod to the back. 

Yes angel to the back& watch for the trees.

And NEVER leave rods on bike when your off it.

Thanks for the responses, I have a little slant and the buts about 6-8" off the ground so I would think the top of the rod is at approx 11'3" off the ground (11'rod) hopefully that will be OK

….also,  never stand your bike broad side to the wind…..stand it rear end into wind or lay her down on the grass…..or  get a police style kick stand …..or make a wooden support stick to prop her up. 

22 hours ago, gdc23 said:

Putting together a canal bike and wondering what the max height for a rod tip would be to not have any problems on the service road 

I have 10'6" and 11' rods. You have to keep an eye out for some trees that overhang the canal road.

My rods do hit the trees on the paved path that goes from the herring run lot, past the bathroom building down to the canal road. I have to bike on the opposite side of the path from the trees. Also, the Scusset pier building has a open area with a roof. A bike with rods won't fit under it without clipping the roof.

I have a pretty tall bike which adds to the over all height of my rods. It's a 12 speed touring bike rather than a small woman's bike or BMX style bike that many use. 

14 hours ago, gdc23 said:

Thanks for the responses, I have a little slant and the buts about 6-8" off the ground so I would think the top of the rod is at approx 11'3" off the ground (11'rod) hopefully that will be OK

I'd drop those buts down a bit if I could.  Mine sit just 3" from the ground and unless you do wheelies or run over something they won't get any closer.

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I wish I got a womans"step thru" bike when I set mine up

One of the last straws was when I asked my (now ex-)wife if I could use the comfort bike I bought for her some 8 years earlier that she rode a total of 1 time and set it up with a basket and rod holders.   She said "no."

Those things are really "step thru", have super low low gears and super comfy seats.   Not very manly, and you have to find a way to mount it on your bike rack, but other than an electric bike you probably couldn't find a better suited bike for the application.