vce12342000

The day has come.....

19 posts in this topic

I was fishing the south side of Montauk a few years ago. I remember there were a few other guys around but none catching.

Suddenly and out of nowhere this old timer probably in his mid 70s comes walking down out into the rocks wearing rubber bottom waders with no korkers and he whips out one of those canes.

He proceeds to use it to get to a rock, casts a 7 foot rod and small bucktail and proceeds to catch fish after fish for 45 minutes.

Then he unfolds his cane again and walks back to shore, lights a cigar and then goes back up the bluff.

Whenever i see one of those canes I think of that moment and how I wanna be like that guy one day 

I started using one of those back in my early 30's wading fast running rock bottom trout rivers. Got tired of tripping.

.I've had lots of practice using one. because now I am a senior citizen. 

Also, these come in handy for knocking a young whippersnapper upside his head.

10 hours ago, Richizzzle said:

I was fishing the south side of Montauk a few years ago. I remember there were a few other guys around but none catching.

Suddenly and out of nowhere this old timer probably in his mid 70s comes walking down out into the rocks wearing rubber bottom waders with no korkers and he whips out one of those canes.

He proceeds to use it to get to a rock, casts a 7 foot rod and small bucktail and proceeds to catch fish after fish for 45 minutes.

Then he unfolds his cane again and walks back to shore, lights a cigar and then goes back up the bluff.

Whenever i see one of those canes I think of that moment and how I wanna be like that guy one day 

I wanna be that older guy fishing the same way If I can reach that age ;)

Wading staffs are a good thing.

Mine is wood, and solid, rather than the Folstaff type in the photo, but it just hangs doiwncurrent from a loop on my waders when I don't need it, and feels solid in my hand when I do.  I wouldn't wade a rocky stream without it.

6 hours ago, CWitek said:

Wading staffs are a good thing.

Mine is wood, and solid, rather than the Folstaff type in the photo, but it just hangs doiwncurrent from a loop on my waders when I don't need it, and feels solid in my hand when I do.  I wouldn't wade a rocky stream without it.

I used to just grab a branch close to the water when I was younger & didnt think I needed such a thing on a more permanent basis while wading. But now climbing in years I see the need. As Im looking for branches to use...:laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never used one in the salt, but then i never go without one in a trout stream.. 

edit; use my rod as a staff in the sketchy salt spots.

Edited by phishallways

Posted (edited) · Report post

The wading staffs certainly come in handy when you are fishing high gradient rivers with lots of current where a third point of contact can save your arse if you make a bad foot placement or a rock moves when you step on it.  They also come in handy when the water is turbid and you can't see boulders, sloughs and drop offs. IMO they are a must have for wading at night, unless you are intimately familiar with the area of the river you are fishing.

In any river a wading belt is a good idea because it can prevent your waders from immediately filling with water if you take a fall and if the river is especially dangerous you might consider wearing one of the new inflatable life preservers. Tail race rivers are notorious for their uneven bottoms with lots of loose rock and boulders and if they have a high gradient with heavy currents they can be especially dangerous.

Edited by Long Wader

8 mins ago, Hook I said:

the Wading staff is no indication of age , it’s the front zipper waders … then it’s all over 

DAMN man.....I just got called out. I had the front  zips for sometime now :laugh::laugh:

dwL5uNW.jpg

1 hour ago, Long Wader said:

The wading staffs certainly come in handy when you are fishing high gradient rivers with lots of current where a third point of contact can save your arse if you make a bad foot placement or a rock moves when you step on it.  They also come in handy when the water is turbid and you can't see boulders, sloughs and drop offs. IMO they are a must have for wading at night, unless you are intimately familiar with the area of the river you are fishing.

In any river a wading belt is a good idea because it can prevent your waders from immediately filling with water if you take a fall and if the river is especially dangerous you might consider wearing one of the new inflatable life preservers. Tail race rivers are notorious for their uneven bottoms with lots of loose rock and boulders and if they have a high gradient with heavy currents they can be especially dangerous.

your so rite. I wear 1 of the back brace wading belts. Keeps water out & supports your back climbing & wading thru rocky terrain in and out of the rivers.

Guess this staff is just another piece of gear to keep me going 

9 hours ago, Hook I said:

the Wading staff is no indication of age , it’s the front zipper waders … then it’s all over 

Hey, I resemble that remark.