levari

Shimano Stella vs Daiwa Saltiga

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I don't know why get too complicated, you don't go very often and tarpon is not necessary top range (they are not 150lb tuna). It's okay with a sph/gosa, slammer or twp.

Or if you can justify quality,you can justify a st/salt smoother, stronger and is a joy to use (stella has great platinum SERVICE).

9 hours ago, RiverShoulders said:

They are close especially the Certate SW 5k and 6k as they have the same line roller setup vs the larger models.  I figured it was done to closer match the Saltiga since it's line strats at 8k. 

I have the Certate SW 6k.  It's my favorite spinner currently. At least until .I get my Saltiga 14k. 

Sounds like TwinPower vs Stella per Alan Hawk. He does not like the TwinPower. He did not review the Certate SW yet..

20 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

@levari no I think if you’re going to use it a lot you probably don’t want a magsealed reel

The Certate SW does not have the megaseal bearings… Sounds like the BG Vs Saltist… I will try to get more info on the Certate SW..

Posted (edited)

7 mins ago, levari said:

The Certate SW does not have the megaseal bearings… Sounds like the BG Vs Saltist… I will try to get more info on the Certate SW..

The certate sw does have magseal just not as much as the saltiga.  I answered the question already. The CSW has same gears and other parts. So its 75% similar to the saltiga.

Just buy all of them and try it out and see what you prefer. Theres no better answer then to actually feel and use it.

Edited by EricL

On a note regarding smaller sizes, I have a Saltiga Bay Jigger 4000 as well as a 2013 version of the Stella SWB 6000 (HG version)...I think line management is better while throwing lighter stuff (such as you would to bonito, albies, spanish macks, schoolie bass, etc) while using the Stella, but find the two reels pretty much equal in most every other way. 

4 mins ago, EricL said:

The certate sw does have magseal just not as much as the saltiga.  I answered the question already. The CSW has same gears and other parts. So its 75% similar to the saltiga.

Just buy all of them and try it out and see what you prefer. Theres no better answer then to actually feel and use it.

My bad… Thank you for all the information you provide… Trying a reel in the shop is not like having a tarpon or a shark at the end of the line. The reason I am looking for a new reel is because the drag on  a brand new VSX failed me on a big fish earlier in the year.

I’ve gotten both reels plenty wet ie underwater and they work awesome

Posted (edited)

23 mins ago, levari said:

My bad… Thank you for all the information you provide… Trying a reel in the shop is not like having a tarpon or a shark at the end of the line. The reason I am looking for a new reel is because the drag on  a brand new VSX failed me on a big fish earlier in the year.

Yup. Freespinning in a shop doesnt help.

All the highend reels spin great and smooth as is. Even the lowest of reels $30 will spin smoothly. 

Its when you have a big fish or a drug submarine you actually feel the reels power when you go upwards to back and rod  breaking 40lb drags temporarily.  Even when running it at 20-25lbs at strike is already an experience.

Edited by EricL

Would the Okuma Makira be another option if looking at a Stella or Saltiga?

Does anyone have experience using the Okuma reel compared to a Stella or Saltiga?

It seems to be well built, Alan Hawk gives it a good review but finding actual reviews online are difficult.

1 hour ago, surfcast1 said:

Would the Okuma Makira be another option if looking at a Stella or Saltiga?

Does anyone have experience using the Okuma reel compared to a Stella or Saltiga?

It seems to be well built, Alan Hawk gives it a good review but finding actual reviews online are difficult.

Its looks ugly. Weighs a ton. Fit and finish looks ugly like a Penn. While durable and strong also, some people like it. Not me.

Backup pawl grabs the main gear, unlike the the saltiga and Stella which properly grab the pinion in event of IAR failure.

The saltiga stella just have a better overall design.

I've never been a reel basher because, well, I have just about all of them related to this topic. I have almost the entire line of Stellas and all the Saltigas including both Expeditions as well as the 2020's. All these reels can wow you most of the time BUT not all the time lol. Mag seal might be a crap shoot because if you loose the goop, ya loose the fish, plain and simple. Stella, well, what can I say, they seem to have 86 that nice quick turnaround Platinum Service....now why in the heck did they do dat lol  These high end reels can be a big investment and getting all the facts from us folks that use the holy heck out of them is a must. None of them are prefect, that I'll say. Some of them sure do look perfect! lol So choose wisely.

5 hours ago, levari said:

I do love the escalating drag on the certate/saltiga line.

Weird. But comforting the reel takes some of the mental work away from fighting a fish.