Inshore

NEW Penn Authority spinning reel

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The guys had this info hidden in the VR vs Slammer IV thread. 

Let’s get this out in the open… Discuss, go! LOL!!!

5C9B2A71-032B-4019-9964-95D0F9BFFBB6.jpeg
6A2659E0-4DAD-4794-B600-0B6FEAC7EA57.jpeg.e54fd6e96767128e7107f57a63ca0c27.jpeg

F6873F63-0D3C-4314-876E-0317A1C254ED.jpeg.4a1aaad4f9dcfae2cd306a4b1653c60f.jpeg

F067B34E-65D0-4C5E-A6ED-39801C2032EF.jpeg.7fec00f8055d099c1fa0082a83d799c2.jpeg

33A049C3-79F1-46B2-8694-CCED89D2A2A6.jpeg.41f602706faffe9d81cc242f6b3c1d49.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

Soon as I saw this thread and before I looked at the chart I’m thinking these things will be heavy like the Slammer’s. Then I look at the chart with weight, uhuh.  I rarely use my Slammers these days because of how heavy they are. 

Not sure why I’d go with say a 2500 or a 3500 when my VR50 is so much lighter, and probably has better sealing. As for sealing time will tell with reviews, and when people crack them open.

I gotta say though that weight is a turn off, these days I prefer light rod, light reel. I am interested however in holding one these when they come out. Doubt I’ll buy one however as much as I’d love to support a new Penn product.

7 mins ago, MattieG said:

I gotta say though that weight is a turn off, these days I prefer light rod, light reel.

:hi5:

That is first thing I am looking at.

After that is price.

But for guys bait and wait light reel does not make difference.

I'm all in favor of someone else buying the reel and testing it out.

Is there an ETA for its' arrival on the marketplace? Probably not much before Christmas.

I like the reel. Not thrilled with the knob. The first pic states the drivetrain as stainless steel The second pic says it’s has a bronze and brass drivetrain. which is it?

I really hope they didn’t discontinue the Torque and this is their new flagship reel. 

I will be the voice of skepticism here in one area only - the IP rating. In the way of background, I spent 32 years in engineering for the Navy, and spent many a painful hour arguing with program managers to cough up the coin for IP qualification testing - IP8 testing requirements are, based on my experience total BS, and I have never understood why the USA  ASTM/ASME/IEEE folks accepted this when they adopted this specification from the French.

To Illustrate my point, here are the testing requirements for IPX5 thru IPX8:

IPX-5
Protected against water jets - Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-6
Protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-7
Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

IPX-8
Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer. 

To me this says that IPX8 is giving the keys to the henhouse to the fox.  I could, for example, specify as my conditions that the equipment is enclosed in a hermetically sealed container prior to submersion and meet the specification requirements.

5 hours ago, FlatWing said:

IPX-8
Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer. 

X8 is Protected from long term immersion beyond 1m up to a specified pressure?

As an aside:

Not one reel is rated against dust intrusion hence the "X".

You can have an outdoor light (for example) rated at say IP57 which would mean limited dust prototection but capable of submersion to 1m....

Edited by ZAFisher

8 hours ago, ecks said:

Penn has a way of always making their reels look like an ‘87 Impala

Their design team needs to develop some imagination. The Torque was really the only reel that had an original look to it. If you check PENN's website now, all of their reels look exactly the same. I'm beginning to feel like they are repackaging the reels, change the colors and then try to pass it off as something new and improved. I know looks don't help you catch more fish but come on, even VS with their iconic look, makes an effort to change the aesthetics of their new offerings.

a big LOL, i heard too many zeros after the price.

pathetic. total bummer.

i get more excited looking at an actual lure that looks like a turd then what penn puts out.

Edited by EricL

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

X8 is Protected from long term immersion beyond 1m up to a specified pressure?

As an aside:

Not one reel is rated against dust intrusion hence the "X".

You can have an outdoor light (for example) rated at say IP57 which would mean limited dust prototection but capable of submersion to 1m....

The implication of the specification is that the device is designed to be subjected to the water pressure that is commiserate with the design depth - so for instance, a bathysphere is designed for greater pressure than pool cleaner for an Olympic Diving Pool.

In truth, the IPX qualification for IP50 or IP60 is onerous to meet as it requires the device be appropriately modified with fittings that will allow a vacuum to be pulled inside the device before it is buried in the particulate matter of the specified size.

1. A product with an IP00 rating is not protected against solid objects and is not protected against liquids.
  2. A product with an IP10 rating is protected against solid objects that are over 50mm (e.g. hands) but is not protected against liquids.
  3. A product with an IP20 rating is protected against solid objects that are over 12.5mm (e.g. fingers) but is not protected against liquids.
  4. A product with an IP30 rating is protected against solid objects that are over 2.5mm (e.g. wires) but is not protected against liquids.
  5. A product with an IP40 rating is protected against solid objects that are over 1mm (e.g. tools and small wires) but is not protected against liquids.
  6. A product with an IP50 rating is protected against quantity of dust that could interfere with the normal operation of the product but is not fully dust tight. The product is completely protected against solid objects but is not protected against liquids.
  7. A product with an IP60 rating is fully dust tight and is completely protected against solid objects but is not protected against liquids.