ChumSlickJon

Lumber - Nominal vs. Dimensional

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

That is incredible work.  :th:

i have no regrets with what I’ve done in my life but if I was forced to go back and start over, knowing what I know now,     I would make a living working with my hands.     The sense of accomplishment seeing the end result of a successful project has always been a rush for me.    Not that I could ever do that level stuff.   Matching number plywood!!!!

F7A21CFE-A7FC-48D0-A28D-78BD39FFEB6D.jpeg.99f7ee27cb8888d2645e596e38a8135f.jpegThen I trimmed the hole with a flush cut router and installed the coffee machine lol. 
Obviously, much more than what I described, but it’s what the owners wanted and they paid for it. 

The thing about the wood on these boats, is that its constantly changing color. That brown will be orange in 6 months.

4 hours ago, z-man said:

2x8s and larger are sized at 1/4” instead of 1/2”. 7-1/4”, 9-1/4”, 11-1/4”. Explain why that is?

The wider the board the more it shrinks.

:v:

3 hours ago, mybeach said:

And 2 fire pits.

7 checking accounts

We've ripped out and replaced 100 yr old wood because it was so hard it wouldn't take a nail. 

5 hours ago, mybeach said:

Custom teak flitch serial number matched to the boat. Unfinished of course. 

What does that mean???? 

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, gadwall8 said:

The wider the board the more it shrinks.

Edited by Gloucester2

1 hour ago, mybeach said:

F7A21CFE-A7FC-48D0-A28D-78BD39FFEB6D.jpeg.99f7ee27cb8888d2645e596e38a8135f.jpegThen I trimmed the hole with a flush cut router and installed the coffee machine lol. 
Obviously, much more than what I described, but it’s what the owners wanted and they paid for it. 

What a world :laugh:

OK, Mybeach. That is a fine looking job you posted. Nice work. BUT, I would refer to that as skinning the bulkhead with a thin veneer that you had to finish to match. Which is no easy feat for anyone who is not a craftsman. I still don't get the serial number being matched to the boat, however.....

10 mins ago, nightfighter said:

What does that mean???? 

The factory makes plywood with exotic veneers. The flitch is the veneer. We use teak, walnut and a few others. We also get the veneer sheets without plywood, and we make repairs to parts, and sometimes entire panels. Many of the panels are not even plywood, they are corrugated or honeycombed to save weight.

The veneer sheets are rolled off the knife and then edge perfected and joined in a proprietary process, very thin, no holes, no tears or voids of any kind. Perfect.

One small log can produce enough flitches to make all the 4x8 panels to finish the whole interior of a boat, or several boats.

9 mins ago, nightfighter said:

OK, Mybeach. That is a fine looking job you posted. Nice work. BUT, I would refer to that as skinning the bulkhead with a thin veneer that you had to finish to match. Which is no easy feat for anyone who is not a craftsman. I still don't get the serial number being matched to the boat, however.....

The flitches are batched and serial numbered to the hull. Every part is made specifically for a designated hull based on the owners choice. A small number of flitches for each hull are stored in our library.