Favorite Jig head for bass and fluke??

Rate this topic

codfish

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

You guys have skipped a lot of information about pouring lead and/or tin.  Specifically the hazards involved and a couple reasons why ProSkateFisherman may want to re-consider doing it.

Good advise Dan:)just kind of cool looking at fisherman's creations

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I’m assuming the most dangerous parts of the process are the fumes and the burns, but I know there could be other dangers that could be worse. Lead poisoning certainly wouldn’t be a good thing to experience. What have they skipped? 

How old are you?  Do you plan on having kids?  Lead exposure can lead to birth defects.  Where do you plan to do the work?  Is there enough ventilation?  Molten lead and moisture are an explosive mixture, literally.  Moisture of any kind in molten lead will create an explosion of the lead.  The moisture will instantly expand by 1600% to steam and take large amounts of the lead with it.  Believe me, I know from first hand experience.  It's instantaneous, catastrophic and spectacular.  Sounds like a gunshot too.

The lead you add to the molten pot has to be suspect too.  Depending on the source it could have any number of contaminents and/or moisture that's not obvious.  Even old sinkers could have hidden cavities that will suddenly release extra heated air that will take lead with it.  Lead contamination can also migrate by other means like sanding dust.  Do you currently have children or pets?  They don't want to be anywhere near your work area.  Eating, drinking or smoking around the work area are not a good idea.  

There's more but I'm sure you've got the picture.  It can be fun and rewarding but also has it's down side too.

Good luck.

-

21 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

How old are you?  Do you plan on having kids?  Lead exposure can lead to birth defects.  Where do you plan to do the work?  Is there enough ventilation?  Molten lead and moisture are an explosive mixture, literally.  Moisture of any kind in molten lead will create an explosion of the lead.  The moisture will instantly expand by 1600% to steam and take large amounts of the lead with it.  Believe me, I know from first hand experience.  It's instantaneous, catastrophic and spectacular.  Sounds like a gunshot too.

The lead you add to the molten pot has to be suspect too.  Depending on the source it could have any number of contaminents and/or moisture that's not obvious.  Even old sinkers could have hidden cavities that will suddenly release extra heated air that will take lead with it.  Lead contamination can also migrate by other means like sanding dust.  Do you currently have children or pets?  They don't want to be anywhere near your work area.  Eating, drinking or smoking around the work area are not a good idea.  

There's more but I'm sure you've got the picture.  It can be fun and rewarding but also has it's down side too.

Good luck.

I think I might hold off on it now. I am still young and I’d like to have kids some day so I think I’ll wait to do this for a while now. Lead really is no joke. It would be an interesting thing to do but I’d rather play it safe for now. Thanks for the info. 

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

35 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I think I might hold off on it now. I am still young and I’d like to have kids some day so I think I’ll wait to do this for a while now. Lead really is no joke. It would be an interesting thing to do but I’d rather play it safe for now. Thanks for the info. 

Sorry scare you off like this but you should know the facts before diving in.  

-

24 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Sorry scare you off like this but you should know the facts before diving in.  

Don't feel bad about it. It's always important to know what you're getting into. I don't think I have an appropriate workspace for it anyway. Thanks for your help. Tight lines:)

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

I've hurt myself more in the kitchen than at my workbench.    

Seriously too.  Sliced arteries & tendons. 2nd & 3rd degree burns, lost fingertips and torn muscles. 

Everything we do has risks & rewards. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

8 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've hurt myself more in the kitchen than at my workbench.    

Seriously too.  Sliced arteries & tendons. 2nd & 3rd degree burns, lost fingertips and torn muscles. 

Everything we do has risks & rewards. 

Have OJ over for dinner? 

1 hour ago, no name said:

Just buy from Dan. He has quality products at fair prices. 

Yeah, I’m going to have to second that. 
i used to tie my own flies so I naturally thought to pour my own jigs, but quickly learned pouring ain’t fun, it’s costly, dangerous, nasty, and time consuming. If you must make a hobby out of it, save the brain cells and just buy unpainted jigheads, get yourself some fancy paints, colorful deer hair to satisfy your inner Leonardo. 

Back to the original question. 
I really like throwing Tinman’s banana and wobble heads walking the inlet and outflow beaches. During the outgoing as the bars start forming little outflow creeks, chucking those in the seems. Bouncing them and fluttering them back is deadly on fluke. 
I need to start throwing the ball for the deeper water.

"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

On 6/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, GoneCoastal said:

I’ve been pouring my own for a looonngg time now and after much testing from both shore and boat I’ve pretty much settled on these. Work good for bass and fluke in my neck of the woods. I do powder coat some still but I think in deep dark water it may not make as much of a difference. Just an eye and a dip in clear is enough for me these days. 

B79F50D2-7116-4EA6-82EF-5911EEE4A707.jpeg

Can I ask what mold you are using for this style?

It's not the size of the fish, it's the size of the smile on your face.

15 hours ago, jim11787 said:

Can I ask what mold you are using for this style?

It’s a Do it molds round head heavy hook style. I modified it to accept 90 degree hooks in addition to the factory 60 degree placement. To get the eyes on there I also either use an arbor press to flatten the sides out some. 

26 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

It’s a Do it molds round head heavy hook style. I modified it to accept 90 degree hooks in addition to the factory 60 degree placement. To get the eyes on there I also either use an arbor press to flatten the sides out some. 

Very nice work. I didn’t think it was stock.

It's not the size of the fish, it's the size of the smile on your face.