codfish

Favorite Jig head for bass and fluke??

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

These From @Dan TinmanIMG_3211.jpg.60aaee4d24455efe5890f2930694d3c1.jpg.5fd3d76678264d736b751e73438be8c2.jpg

Also has plain heads for plastics.  

I just got some of those weedless Hurley heads. Haven't used them yet so they're not my favorite.   Can't wait to try them.   

Also picked up these.....  But like the Hurley heads I haven't used them yet.  But I gotta a feelin!62b4496e36439_download(1).jpeg.1a3a3c7def8895ba26689106560b0379.jpeg

Eta.  Yeah...i can't pick 1. 

Also love the sparkie head.  Once again from Dan Tinman.  When fishing from shore the hook eye placement  is perfect.  I can just drag these along the bottom with some hoppin & skippin here and there.  post-23116-0-35542400-1463921087.jpg.83f366cdb53f1a330a3af0c477d5ac12.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

I agree, gonna be a great thread.

I'm w/ PS, can't pick just one.

I must say that I like different jig heads for fluke than for bas. I like a thinner diameter wire hook for fluke. 

Perhaps we need to clarify the location, situation and conditions. 

For the surf, I like smaller thin wire hooks. Lately I'm into Buddha's round jighead w/ Gulp Jerkshad. For big deep water fluke, I like bucktails and plain jighwads w/ long hooks (again, thin wire for better penetration) big enough for 6" Gulp grubs.

For bass, I like thicker - stronger hooks.

JD

For fluke inshore, I switched from ultraminnow bucktails to plain ball jigs as we fish snaggy structure. When I run out of of painted jigs, I’ll switch to unpainted. I’ve tried unpainted and haven’t found a condition where jighead color matters. 

For the back bay, I’ll use bucktail jigs but I doubt it matters compared to ball jigs.

It’s all about the gulp, presentation, and your ability to entice strikes. 

I don’t fish for fluke, but for bass I just use gotcha jig heads. I fish a very rocky spot so I get snagged often and I’d rather not be losing high quality jigs that are $2 a piece. They are plenty strong but they aren’t always sharp out of the package so I sharpen them if needed. Never bent one out while fighting a fish. If I can’t get gotcha heads I use BPS brand flathead jigs which are basically the same thing with a different label. I feel like the gotcha jigs have better paint that chips less than the BPS ones. The 3/8 and 1/2 ounce jigs from both brands fit a 4.5 inch sluggo on it just right. Works great with zoom flukes too. And that’s all I need them to do.

2 hours ago, hookmeup said:

I’ve tried unpainted and haven’t found a condition where jighead color matters. 

Such heresy! Next you'll be saying the color of tog jigs doesn't matter. So now supposedly pink is the 'IT color' for fluke. Or was it orange? So hard to keep track. FWIW I just do my fluke jigs white and don't bother painting tog jigs. Since my jigs are designed to take hoochies as a well as hair, I've tried all sorts of hoochie colors like sea robin and glow, and never noticed a difference. But probably I just suck.

I’ve been pouring my own for a looonngg time now and after much testing from both shore and boat I’ve pretty much settled on these. Work good for bass and fluke in my neck of the woods. I do powder coat some still but I think in deep dark water it may not make as much of a difference. Just an eye and a dip in clear is enough for me these days. 

B79F50D2-7116-4EA6-82EF-5911EEE4A707.jpeg

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

Such heresy! Next you'll be saying the color of tog jigs doesn't matter. So now supposedly pink is the 'IT color' for fluke. Or was it orange? So hard to keep track. FWIW I just do my fluke jigs white and don't bother painting tog jigs. Since my jigs are designed to take hoochies as a well as hair, I've tried all sorts of hoochie colors like sea robin and glow, and never noticed a difference. But probably I just suck.

I have seen tog jig color make a difference a few times. Orange during a green crab bite and white/brown/orange during a white legger bite. But black mussel imitators have consistently outperformed every other jig color. Haven’t tried unpainted (my buddy makes them so I get a very reasonable price) but I’m sure they would work. 

2 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

I’ve been pouring my own for a looonngg time now and after much testing from both shore and boat I’ve pretty much settled on these. Work good for bass and fluke in my neck of the woods. I do powder coat some still but I think in deep dark water it may not make as much of a difference. Just an eye and a dip in clear is enough for me these days. 

I also don’t bother with eyes lol. I know stripers don’t care. 

Edited by hookmeup

3 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

Nice looking jigs. How much does it typically cost to get started making jigs? I bet I could save some money pouring my own. 

36 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Nice looking jigs. How much does it typically cost to get started making jigs? I bet I could save some money pouring my own. 

Good hooks are about 15 bucks for 25. Molds run from 35 to 200. The do it molds are a good place to start. Lead can be a little pricier these days. Good clean lead that is soft is the best for jig heads. A  decent pot will run about a hundred bucks. A fluid bed is a 100 bucks for powder coating. Roughly maybe 500 bucks would get you all in to start. Others may have different opinions. I don’t know if I’ll ever break even after all the years and investments honestly, however I’m extremely confident with all my tackle no matter what situation I might find myself in. To me that’s worth every penny. Don’t forget the safety gear. It’s poisonous as it is and lead burns can disfigure you badly. 

I’ve always done great with smillin bills either s&s skinners or bps brand. Andrus jetty casters and if I use a paddle tail or zoom fluke I’ll use tt lures zman jig heads. 

3 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

. A  decent pot will run about a hundred bucks. A fluid bed is a 100 bucks for powder coating. Roughly maybe 500 bucks would get you all in to start. 

That a bit Cadillac for a guy just looking to start. Sure, if you're doing a whole lot.

I melt lead in a dollar store steel ladle with a soldering torch, and you can totally powder coat without a fluid bed, or make one for $20, $5 if you already have an aquarium pump sitting around.