JRT

Left shoulder waterproof sling bag?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have the Simms Z sling which is good apart from you can only wear it over your right shoulder - my casting arm. Do left shoulder waterproof slings exist?

Or shall I just go back to rucksacks?

The right shoulder sling packs have never impeded my casting (I'm a righty). However, I am looking at replacing my Fishpond sling (right shoulder) with the fishpond waterproof backpack. The primary reason is the ability to strap an extra rod to the left side of the pack. 

I use a Simms Waypoints sling pack (an older model - right shoulder). It's never impeded my casting arm.

I find they fatigue/hurt my shoulder after a while, especially if there is any weight like when you have water bottles in them. 

So it looks like its a small backpack then?

I recently chose the Fishpond Thunderhead Submersible (13 lt. right shoulder) and so far I am very satisfied, while I was doing some research among the various Sling Pack on the market I remember that the Patagonia Guidewater 15L is ambidextrous. I think it's no longer in the catalog but somewhere still available on sale.

I'm also right-handed and would prefer the sling on the left.

JRT

All packs are a pain. I agree that the last thing we want as right handed casters is a strap on that shoulder. I can’t stand rucksacks on my back either. So bloody uncomfortable. Ok if it is a long walk in and a long day we need something.

I like surf belts which hold two spare spools and a water bottle attachment.

I have to wear waders and a fly boy jacket currently as impossible to get Into to my wet suits. Too fat plus the contortions required are way to painful to my right hip until surgery takes place in August. So fly boxes are carried in the pockets plus Trail bars.

Wish you well in your quest.

Mike