CWitek

2022 Scup and Black Sea Bass regulations released

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Used to consider that a very nice sea bass, now it’s just barely a keeper. Not even worth targeting inshore anymore. 

Edited by C.Robin

13 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Used to consider that a very nice sea bass, now it’s just barely a keeper. Not even worth targeting inshore anymore. 

And it seems that the fish are getting smaller, perhaps because of increased effort.

Fishing on 90-foot wrecks, I used to see a lot of 3 to 4 pound fish, and even some over 4, at the start of the season.  Over the past few years, I've been working hard for 16-inch fish; with the new limit, I'm going to have to find 17s (because when you're involved with conservation work like I am, you can't take just-legal fish, because too many people would celebrate if you nadge a mistake and got caught).

Not even going to try to fish the opener tomorrow.  Burning $200 in diesel for 3 rat sea bass just isn't worth it.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

And it seems that the fish are getting smaller, perhaps because of increased effort.

Fishing on 90-foot wrecks, I used to see a lot of 3 to 4 pound fish, and even some over 4, at the start of the season.  Over the past few years, I've been working hard for 16-inch fish; with the new limit, I'm going to have to find 17s (because when you're involved with conservation work like I am, you can't take just-legal fish, because too many people would celebrate if you nadge a mistake and got caught).

Not even going to try to fish the opener tomorrow.  Burning $200 in diesel for 3 rat sea bass just isn't worth it.

If $6 diesel (so at least $7 on the water) and a 16 inch limit doesn’t decrease effort, I don’t think anything will.

One or two successful drop and it's back to port. :laugh:  30-50 scup is a bit too much. That 10 inch size limit would be a doozy thou.

14 hours ago, Vintagefishing said:

@CWitek bag limit change for party boats. 30 scup for individual, 50 on party boat. 

Possession/bag limit did not change for scup, only size ( now 10”)……. Limit of 30 per individual all year and 50 per individual on licensed party/charter boats from Sept. 1- Oct. 31.  Same as last year.

15 hours ago, Vintagefishing said:

@CWitek bag limit change for party boats. 30 scup for individual, 50 on party boat. 

That's not a change.  The for-hires already had a 50 fish limit during the fall "bonus season" in Wave 5.

2 hours ago, Vintagefishing said:

@CWitek and @MattituckMike I didn’t know scup limit was same. I don’t fish for them. I read it on a FB post, looked like it was new changes. 

Yes, the notion of a "bonus season" for the for-hires has been around for a while.  It might have made sense when the general bag limit was something like 7 or 10 fish.  Now that it's 30, it's a lot harder to justify.  I know charterboat captains who discourage customers from taking that many, having no desire to clean that many fish once the trip is over.

47 mins ago, hobobob said:

There are boats with strictly no porgy cleaning policy. 

Doesn't surprise me.

I don't mind cleaning the bigger ones--the only ones that I keep--but cutting a few hundred smaller fish would be a nightmare, and leave your hands looking like pincushions.

32 mins ago, Vintagefishing said:

I heard one boat was $125 person. $1 for each porgy cleaned, $20 tip. Lot of money for porgies. 

Yet at management meetings, they tell you that they're providing less expensive food for people who need to keep a lot of fish in order to justify the price of the trip.

At $1/porgy plus trip expenses, tilapia fillets would look like a bargain for anyone seeking cheap protein.