EricJ

Tony Siragusa... no more big breakfasts

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Imagine being your average high school wrestler and seeing the Goose come out as your opponent.  

"Uh coach.............."

From every report, he seemed like a heck of a nice guy who did a lot for those he came in contact with.  Will be missed by many.

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

That defense had to be top ten ever. 

From NYT:  Siragusa, known for his imposing heft at 330 pounds during his playing days, was a key member of the Ravens’ championship team in the 2000 season. While that season was one of his worst statistically — he recorded only 27 tackles without any sacks — he contributed to one of the N.F.L.’s most fearsome defenses, absorbing blockers to allow the star linebacker Ray Lewis, defensive back Rod Woodson, lineman Sam Adams and others to succeed in their roles. That unit set N.F.L. records for the fewest points allowed (165) and rushing yards allowed (970) in a 16-game regular season.

“On the field, he was the ultimate competitor who brought out the best in all of us,” Lewis said in a statement.

1 hour ago, makorider said:

We used to play against him in high school, I knew his brother later on and met him a few times, nice guy.

Always cracked me up seeing him in the PP canal on his CC.  Boat was always listing, depending on what side of the leaning post he was on.

yeah... when I had my Boston Whaler, he and I were drifting together for fluke out in front of Mantoloking. We drifted and talked for a good 30 min. Only saw him that one time.

4 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

It isn’t good to be big. Never mind fat. My FIL was 6’10” and as he aged it was bad. Just too big of a system. 

Yeah, and apparently heart disease runs in his family. His dad died at 48.

9 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

It isn’t good to be big. Never mind fat. My FIL was 6’10” and as he aged it was bad. Just too big of a system. 

Bill Russell is 88 and the same height. ;) 

7 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Bill Russell is 88 and the same height. ;) 

There’s obviously always exceptions. Especially when the sport was non contact :laugh:

11 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Pretty good insight there. Lotta big uns just deal with more of all the routine bad stuff, hypertension, diabetes and the extra mass just tears up the musculoskeletal system. They big and strong but not necessarily healthy. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, Barley said:

I dont ever agree with what that bass2snook f*ag says. But I believe in the first amendment and hate this cancel culture. 

Are you so insecure you want your daddy Tim to make it all better?

Sounds like you are the effeminate dweeb.

What are your pronouns? 

Edited by Jimichanga
I wrote fag

22 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

There’s obviously always exceptions. Especially when the sport was non contact :laugh:

Do you really think it was "no contact" when he was going up against Wilt and guys like Luke Jackson? :laugh:

The Celts brought in guys like Wayne the Wall Embry and Jungle Jim Loscutoff to "lean" on Wilt and keep Russell out of foul trouble.

I think it was more the Goose being close to 400 lbs than being 6'10".

1 min ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Do you really think it was "no contact" when he was going up against Wilt and guys like Luke Jackson? :laugh:

The Celts brought in guys like Wayne the Wall Embry and Jungle Jim Loscutoff to "lean" on Wilt and keep Russell out of foul trouble.

I think it was more the Goose being close to 400 lbs than being 6'10".

I think basketball peaked in the 80’s and early ‘90s. 

big East ball in that timeframe was the absolute height of basketball. 

my daughter recently got a full scholarship to one of the most prestigious basketball private schools in the nation because I taught her that style of ball. And as much as I hate to admit it, she did it with very little inherited athletic talent. Lol. 

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I think basketball peaked in the 80’s and early ‘90s. 

big East ball in that timeframe was the absolute height of basketball. 

my daughter recently got a full scholarship to one of the most prestigious basketball private schools in the nation because I taught her that style of ball. And as much as I hate to admit it, she did it with very little inherited athletic talent. Lol. 

I was living in NYC during the glory days of the original Big East. There was nothing like the tournament at MSG. I think during the 1980s, every team except BC went to the Final Four--and they came within a basket or two in 1985, against Memphis St. There'll never be another Big East rivalry like Syracuse-Georgetown.

And congrats to you and your daughter. :th: 

You know what’s crazy. My daughter is a freshman and going away to live at the private school. My middle is going off to college and my oldest has been in college.  My wife and I had our first our senior year of college. Weren’t even living together yet. So we got a place and graduated a few weeks later. So we never had an empty house. Ever. Less than two months from one.