Poulin

Spool get off: ever had this problem?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Lamson/Waterworks has excellent customer service, provided me advice, parts and replacement. I'd contact them before  buying another reel. That cap has very fine thread and is of a softer material than the more expensive, though same design models. It's easy to cross thread or not seat it properly. The price of economy. I do reel left, but the only time it happened to me, stripping line out on grass , I hadn't seated the cap all the way after a disassembly and cleaning.

I had a first gen Lamson Guru spool 'disengage' during a hot first run of something big - spool, clutch and retaining hub flew off in all directions. This was a right-hand retrieve.  I had checked the clutch for rust a while back before this happened, so I may not have tightened the hub as much as I should have when I reassembled. 

If this is happening on two different makes/models of reels, is it possible the backing may have been wound on too tight and the spools are slightly deformed?

5 mins ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

I had a first gen Lamson Guru spool 'disengage' during a hot first run of something big - spool, clutch and retaining hub flew off in all directions. This was a right-hand retrieve.  I had checked the clutch for rust a while back before this happened, so I may not have tightened the hub as much as I should have when I reassembled. 

If this is happening on two different makes/models of reels, is it possible the backing may have been wound on too tight and the spools are slightly deformed?

Brand new reel rigged up by pro.

Posted (edited) · Report post

With normal RH thread, when RH wind is winding in, you are trying to tighten the screws (except the handle screw from the handle side).

With a screw type spool cap, the spool is actually locked to the part underneath with which there is usually form lock and the screw is just to keep the the locking coupled. So there is really no torque on the screw when winding or fish is taking line.

If the screw is not tightened well enough, it can become loose due to vibrations of the spool or temperature change (difference in ie stainless and aluminum heat expansion coefficient). So, keep it tight (check tightness) and no problem.

I have the same Ross Evolution R Salt as Drew C has. I also have Nautilus CCF-X2, Mako, Danielsson L5W & LW & FW, Megoff LA TI, Hardy Ultralite DD and all of them work the same way in principle of the spool locking. And they work. All of them as long as one makes sure the spool cap is not loose when starting fishing.

But where threads do matter is how the drag force is transferred to the frame. If it is via shaft, a high drag setting on RH wind set reel is trying to open that threaded connection of the shaft and frame. Loctites (the stronger thread lock ones) are good here as the torque the shaft can take then is usually way beyond what the drag can put out.

Edited by sms

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've had the same experience on my Lamsons - both Liquid and Remix. Twice over a period of years. A friend, with decades more FF experience than I have, had the same thing.

Yes, I reel right handed.

If you remove the spool and place the reel on your bench you'll note the following.

The knurled black plastic (probably Delrin) cap in the center covers and seals the drag housing.

Within the drag housing is a one way bearing with a clutch. The clutch is the drag mechanism. To reverse from left hand to right hand retrieve,  you unscrew the cap, flip the bearing over and replace it in the housing, then replace the cap.

Lamson takes great pains to say "Do not allow lubricant in the housing"  lest you destroy your drag.

The bearing itself has rectangular notches about 1/16" deep that mate with similar notches within the housing . Unless your fingers are the size of toothpicks, its tricky to ensure that the notches are properly mated up.

Take a toothpick, or a ball pen point, or something similar, engage one of the tabs and rotate the bearing's housing until you feel the assembly drop into place. Carefully screw the cap back on taking care not to cross threads. Make sure it is tight 

Something, probably salt, caused the stainless spindle that passes through the bearing to bind. It seems to be more likely to happen when the bearing is not correctly seated. (The cap cannot be fully installed and tightened, although you may think it is.)

I place a SMALL drop of reel lube, on the spindle (only!) and spread it with my finger, just enough to create an invisible film on the spindle. Alternately just rubbing your finger alongside your nose will capture enough oil from your skin to accomplish this.

Pressing the spindle in until it seats with a small click engages the o ring that seals the housing.

Once accomplished, (check the cap for tightness periodically) you should be good-to-go .

Edited by C. Regalis

TKS everyone. I appreciate your comments.

I will try getting used to reel left hand !!

Need to mention that I got an excellent service at Sage. They are sending me the parts the ocean swallowed . 

5 hours ago, Poulin said:

Brand new reel rigged up by pro.

"Pro"s are human, just like you and me - and from time to time, humans make mistakes.

If you like RH retrieve, (as I do) I wouldn't let this deter you. Just make sure the bearing is properly seated and the cap secured. Once the spindle is clean and lightly (just barely!) lubed, you should have no difficulty.