nightfighter

Disarming boater by USCG?????

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

The random searching, boarding, license checks and safety checks really annoy me. I have extremely limited free time to fish and don’t need it ruined/wasted by this nonsense. Imagine if your car could just get randomly pulled over for a license and safety check. 

11 hours ago, Surfjunki said:

Not quite. It depends on the type of search being conduct. If it’s an incident to lawful apprehension then no-ish, but Depending in the PC it may require a warrant or permission, unless there are exigent or emergency circumstances. The law isn’t black and white on this topic, it’s a 64 count crayola box and varies state to state. 

Actually PC (Probable Cause) is the standard needed for arrest. Once you are arrested, you and your car/vessel or immediate vicinity within your house CAN be searched without a warrant. Now if you're talking about getting arrested inside your living room the officer can search the immediate area around you in the living room, no he/she can't going do a full search in all of the 2nd floor bedrooms. But a boat/vessel? Yes legally able to search the entire car/vessel without a warrant.

23 hours ago, Good2Go said:

I'm not a cop but common sense tells me the first thing a cop, Coastie, or other law enforcement person needs to do is control the situation. In the example, the guy was stopped for having a light violation at night. You don't say if he was moving or anchored. Knowing there was a playoff game going on, which can def be emotional for some people, there was liquor on board, and the operator declared he had a gun (locked and loaded?) on his person, I think the 20 year old was wise beyond his years. Plus he left the gun when they disembarked. It's not like it was confiscated. Happy to hear we have such sensible young people out there enforcing the law. I vote for the USCG on this one. 

Heightened security because of the game probably added to the intensity.  I would think Homeland Security issued some directives as well?  Especially up top near TD Garden

On 6/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, z-man said:

The random searching, boarding, license checks and safety checks really annoy me. I have extremely limited free time to fish and don’t need it ruined/wasted by this nonsense. Imagine if your car could just get randomly pulled over for a license and safety check. 

Nobody wants the CG around until they do.  Then they REALLY want them. 

Edited by Jeff270

On 6/22/2022 at 0:31 PM, Jeff270 said:

I have been stopped in my vehicle several times when I was carrying.  My routine is this.  Pull over with flashers on, if its dark - turn on the dome light.  Wind down the front windows,  keep my hands on the top of the wheel.  When the officer approaches, I inform him I am licensed and carrying, and ask him "What would you like me to do?"

I then follow his directions.    I have never been written in these situations.

I would follow a similar protocol on a boat.

For me, it comes down to common sense.

Good procedures.  I have followed a similar process.  I’ve only been pulled a couple of times in 20+ years here and the last time had a very civil conversation with the officer (female) about carry pistols.

I was unaware of the broad powers the USCG has, but after thinking on it am not surprised.

Personally, I don’t want the officer(s) to have any reason to feel nervous or otherwise tense during the stop/conversation.

I’ve never been asked for a search and am of the opinion that you don’t give that permission, but also don’t interfere if they proceed to search your vehicle.  You can hash that out later.

Jeff B.

Edited by Connetquot