cwb124

Best time/place to fish if I had 2-3 days?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks, been a while.  I'm a casual surf fisherman when the kids and wife are playing at the beach. Usually do the DSSP and get into a handful of kings and spot from time to time.

I would really like to get into something more substantial and was wondering if you had 2-3 days to carve out in the fall to surf/inlet fish, when might you choose to do it and where?  I have the fishing tag so I can drive on the beach. But I want to throw 2-3 days straight this fall at fishing and get into something. Thanks!

16 hours ago, cwb124 said:

Hey folks, been a while.  I'm a casual surf fisherman when the kids and wife are playing at the beach. Usually do the DSSP and get into a handful of kings and spot from time to time.

I would really like to get into something more substantial and was wondering if you had 2-3 days to carve out in the fall to surf/inlet fish, when might you choose to do it and where?  I have the fishing tag so I can drive on the beach. But I want to throw 2-3 days straight this fall at fishing and get into something. Thanks!

Surf fishing anglers are a little reluctant to share spots (burning) so nothing specific.  But, fall runs of large Red Drum, Striped Bass, Bluefish, even False Albacore can be found from late September through October (even later recently) from the VA side of Assateague all the way up to 3Rs in the DelMarVa,  and farther north.  Timing, weather, reading the structure on the beach, good tackle, good bait and good luck (the more the better) can put you on a trophy fish as well as keep you busy catching.  Good luck and remember it's about having fun.

AI is fun the first or second week of October. Last year I got into some big kingfish that made for a fun night. I can’t speak about redfish because I suck catching them lol. But they are around there at that time too.  Probably my favorite time of year to fish from the beach.

Hey folks thanks for the info on the above question. Due to proximity, i'll be spending the better part of 3 days in the DSSP/IRI area. I'm planning to split time between surf fishing and inlet fishing. Quick question on that, what conditions (tide/wind) should I observe that might tell me one would be more productive than the other? I do plan on fishing the inlet after dark. But as far as the morning/daytime what should I look for to tell me to hit the surf or the inlet?  Thanks a bunch. Been reading a lot on this board and there's some great, generous info. Wish I could get down to AI but maybe next time.

Some of us just prefer the surf. You can catch fish at all times and tides but sometimes you don’t and you have to live with it.  I only don’t fish the surf if my max weight won’t hold the bottom or there’s a storm causing abnormal overwash. Good bait and the correct tackle for what you are targeting is important. Low light or night time fishing can bring bigger fish close to shore but again is not always the case. 

17 hours ago, cwb124 said:

Hey folks thanks for the info on the above question. Due to proximity, i'll be spending the better part of 3 days in the DSSP/IRI area. I'm planning to split time between surf fishing and inlet fishing. Quick question on that, what conditions (tide/wind) should I observe that might tell me one would be more productive than the other? I do plan on fishing the inlet after dark. But as far as the morning/daytime what should I look for to tell me to hit the surf or the inlet?  Thanks a bunch. Been reading a lot on this board and there's some great, generous info. Wish I could get down to AI but maybe next time.

I watched a guy catching huge sharks from IRI using cut eels.

This was back a ways from the bridge by the campers. 

One, by length and girth calculations, was well over 200 pounds.

Not my cup of tea, but I have to admit it got the blood pumping, seeing those enormous beasts arise from the depths.

6 hours ago, dena said:

I watched a guy catching huge sharks from IRI using cut eels.

This was back a ways from the bridge by the campers. 

One, by length and girth calculations, was well over 200 pounds.

Not my cup of tea, but I have to admit it got the blood pumping, seeing those enormous beasts arise from the depths.

How the heck did he release them without getting hurt, not by the shark but in the rocks?

Posted (edited)

On 9/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, Stryper Snyper said:

How the heck did he release them without getting hurt, not by the shark but in the rocks?

He had long needle nosed pliers,  and a circle hook with a filed down barb.

We were back from the bridge a ways, and the rocks were not treacherous. 

I held the rod while he scrambled down, and turned them loose. 

It was impressive, and drew quite the crowd.

20220826_193956.jpg

20220826_194022.jpg

Edited by dena