Frank2104

Sinker in the surf thoughts

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

One other thought ……rebaiting every 20 minutes …..6 rods…..with a decent cast…..gluck if the wires dont trip or it sands in….this sinker its very easy to retrieve…almost as if it was a only 4oz…..7.2 oz with a built in clip

A00F261A-078B-40AD-B503-B44F4C56DB3A.jpeg

1 hour ago, smallbatch9 said:

One other thought ……rebaiting every 20 minutes …..6 rods…..with a decent cast…..gluck if the wires dont trip or it sands in….this sinker its very easy to retrieve…almost as if it was a only 4oz…..7.2 oz with a built in clip

Is this a custom mold?  Would definitely be interested in one. 

1 hour ago, smallbatch9 said:

Why a clip?  Why a swivel? Looks like a regular pyramid ?  Curious.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its a mold from italy that i reworked a little….Abbacco  i can pour them with a clip or a ring…the top of the sinker is a pyramid as well and skates instead of digging in

Edited by smallbatch9

7 mins ago, smallbatch9 said:

Its a mold from italy that i reworked a little….Abbacco  i can pour them with a clip or a ring…the top of the sinker is a pyramid as well and skates instead of digging in

Do you have any photos of other angles of the sinker?

On 6/22/2022 at 4:25 PM, Catskill John said:

Shouldn’t use sputniks on fishfinder rigs. Your hook will tangle with sputnik wires. 

Maybe 10 times in 40 years, mostly throwing live eels until we started hooking them in the tail so they swam away from the rigs. Even then it was the rig line that got tangled up.
The drum rig above is the way to fly.

A few things I would change on the rig above...(this isn't directed at you, Jeff.  Just general observation)

1) Shorter leader 1-2"

2) That hook sucks.  No room between point and shank.

3) The damn bead.  Lose the bead.  If the running line breaks that fish has the pleasure of carrying around an 8oz sinker until it dies, which will be soon after.

I personally don't crimp and I like a much simpler shock to running line connection, but some of the best I know use crimps and complicated knots that sound like gunshots when they go through the guides, but they catch...a lot.  

On 6/21/2022 at 9:56 PM, Jimichanga said:

I like the frog tongue for heavy current. 

tackledirect-frog-tongue-sinker-5oz.jpg

I like the concept behind the Frog Tongue sinkers.  Less side profile for current to act against and the weight is spread across a wider surface area.

Never could get them to "set" though...  Make a cast, reel the slack out, and, go sit down.  Five minutes later, I'd have to reel in another few yards to take out more slack.  They just never seemed to "grab" the way a pyramid or storm sinker does.

Your mileage may vary... :)