Frank2104

Sinker in the surf thoughts

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Bait guy suggested I try the flat no-roll style sinkers. I tried one 5oz I think. It was on a day with strong south wind. It seemed like it just wanted to slide down the beach. I'd interested in thoughts about pyramid, no-roll, or bank when surf fishing. TIA!

Just now, CrappieAttitude said:

When the surf is high or the current is strong you might try a “Sputnik” type sinker - they do a good job of holding

Yeah...I was gonna add that to the mix but couldn't think of sputnik to save my ........

Good ol pyramid sinkers for me, I just go up in weight till they hold.  Those sputnik wires break on me pulling them back in. 

There was a local tourist who tried surf fishing with drop sinkers and kept tangling with my line. I approach the guy and gave one modified 3oz sinker with a drywall screw on one side. I offered to cast his setup & discreetly hook my fbbw. Caught a whitting later. He was very happy with the result and insisted I buy ice cream for my boy. I was more than happy to show my boy how to lend a hand and make other people smile. Those were the days....

I'm not a fan of sputniks personally.  When it's too much for my heavy pyramids (8-10 oz) I go to frog tongue type sinkers.  They tend to hold a bit better in rough water. 

Pyramid, and sputniks for me. The sinker's Franks talking about I only use off piers when there ia a sandy bottom and no bad currant.

If you find yourself buying and loosing sinkers all the time, pour your own! Or get a friend that does. 

How much is an 8 ounce sinker now ?$?

When you loose a dozen or so on a trip due to sharks and rays you’ll understand. 

In my mind there are three tiers of surf sinkers, the lowest level being pyramids, then hurricanes, then sputniks. I only use sputniks when I drum fish or when I really need them. Most of the sputniks I use are over 6 ounces and they really work. I say that if an 8 ounce Sputnik doesn’t hold it’s not worth going out at all. If the surf isn’t strong I like the good old fashioned pyramid sinker. 3-4 ounces is typically enough to hold but I have to use more most times so my rod can load right. The middle ground are the hurricane sinkers, which hold better than a pyramid (for some reason) but not as well as a Sputnik. I don’t want to use a Sputnik unless I have to. A 5 or 6 oz hurricane will hold better than a 5 or 6 oz pyramid in most situations I have found. I like to stay stocked up on my gear, if you know what I mean. I make sure to have at least 3 of each size of sinker. So if I forget to check my line and I watch my sinker fly 150 yards into the horizon I have a backup, and then if that one goes too I have a backup to the backup. Too many times I have had to end an outing because I ran out of leads. Never again!