codfish

Be careful in CCB

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

A lot of people just don't know the ocean (include myself) and had to learn to be in it takes a lot of knowledge. Thank god for everyone that is out in the water knows what they are doing and being at the right place at the right time.

1 hour ago, DrBob said:

lucky you were there and attentive.

Dr my friend John contacted me this morning with his close call story in CCB

3 hours ago, codfish said:

From my friend John Curry charters

Had to make a water rescue on a recent charter near Barnstable Harbor. Was out a mile or so from Sandy Neck fishing with 3 clients when I kept hearing a faint sound that just didn't sound right? After about 30 minutes or so I asked the clients to hang on when I realized that I wasn't hearing a child playing near the beach,but rather someone in distress. I headed towards the bend and saw a small object hanging onto the #6 nun in a very swift outgoing tide. We pulled up, I grabbed this little boy hanging on for dear life (thank god he had a life jacket on) in 55 degree water. After assessing his condition I headed over to the Sandy Neck village and carried him to shore so he could get warm quickly in their cabin, but he kept pointing to the water. I noticed a small sailboat tacking against the tide and realized they were trying to rescue him,but were getting swept out in Cape Cod Bay. We headed to the sail boat to find two adults and a younger child all of them not wearing life jackets and making no headway. It was a tense moment trying to get a line to them without risking a capsized vessel. It all ended well, but could have been a tragic day. Wasn't going to post this,but we need to stress the proper use of life jackets and knowing the tides and water temps before letting a 7-8 yr old out alone on a kayak!"

10257452_751213588329341_8364465303261408349_o.jpg

Nice! That boy would probably be dead had you not found him, the ocean is an unforgiving place

Good Lord what a tale.  Thanks for sharing.  This deserves to go on the Main as a reminder to all everywhere about the importance of a PFD

3 hours ago, harley48 said:

No frigging way I would let an 8 year old out in a kayak by themselves in that area, that's just moronic. 

The kid in the photo looks older than 8 but either way I don’t even let my 12 year old kayak alone in a lake let alone the ocean. Terrible parenting going on in this story.