magikbbg

Demo Closed Due to Plovers

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, i_like_poppers said:

They did that for a few weeks either last year or the year before, as soon as that dumb bird showed up. Poof, there went the access to the whole thing. 

12 hours ago, Digga90 said:

It was glorious for the few weeks

IT WAS OPEN ? Damn I missed that. The last few times ive been there has been nothing but dogfish , so big I have never even seen them that big. 

Edited by magikbbg
not sand sharks

19 mins ago, Rob A said:

still closed

Dang I did the walk a few times. And it was not easy! 

On 6/25/2022 at 1:13 PM, carznfish said:

Still closed, plovers everywhere, counted at least 10 nests towards the point. Walk was fine in the morning but i damn near steamed myself   Alive on the walk back in waders at noon. 

I do not wear waders in the summer day or night for that particular reason.

33 mins ago, HarryHood711 said:

Is it me or has it been closed longer than normal? **** these bitch ass useless birds

It's been closed for nearly a month. Don't know if that's normal or not. 

Just now, magikbbg said:

It's been closed for nearly a month. Don't know if that's normal or not. 

I thought it was generally 2ish weeks, could be wrong. I also still cant fathom the logic, you can't drive down towards the point anyway so why does the entire beach need to be closed for vehicle access. Liberal logic at its finest. Kudos to you for doing that entire walk though. 

28 mins ago, HarryHood711 said:

I thought it was generally 2ish weeks, could be wrong. I also still cant fathom the logic, you can't drive down towards the point anyway so why does the entire beach need to be closed for vehicle access. Liberal logic at its finest. Kudos to you for doing that entire walk though. 

If they could close it year round they probably would. 

2 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

It seems some of these  feckers don't like the new nesting area we bulldozed  for them and have built a couple nests by the golf course and  the sand pile in the back.  These nests are too close to the access road.  The birds need to fledge before they open it back up, google says 28- 35 days from egg hatch.  Get your binoculars out and tell us when the last egg hatches.  

1 hour ago, magikbbg said:

They wouldn't risk losing sales of permits ( both fishing and surf), easy money for the state.  

21 hours ago, magikbbg said:

Given that they just--that is, in the last few years--opened it up in the winter so that surfers could drive to Demo, that's probably not an accurate observation.

19 hours ago, mark77 said:

It seems some of these  feckers don't like the new nesting area we bulldozed  for them and have built a couple nests by the golf course and  the sand pile in the back.  These nests are too close to the access road.  The birds need to fledge before they open it back up, google says 28- 35 days from egg hatch.  Get your binoculars out and tell us when the last egg hatches.  

They wouldn't risk losing sales of permits ( both fishing and surf), easy money for the state.  

They've been nesting back there for years--plovers actually prefer the backside to the ocean beach.

I always think of fledging being completed in early August.