Demo Closed Due to Plovers

Rate this topic

magikbbg

5 hours ago, carznfish said:

The entire beach or just half way to the point? 

Can't enter off-road at all. 

24 mins ago, JimmyBean said:

I assume you can still walk down? If so, good news for me and my sedan. 

not sure too lazy to even think about that hah. 

21 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

its a nice walk in the winter, when theres nothing but you foxes and snowy owls..

shame they leveled that salt pond and "patch of woods"

IMG_4288.PNG

I used to walk Demo a lot, beginning at Field 2, walking down the entire front side, walking out to the point, and then along the backside back to the lot.  I'd do it right after sunrise, when the metal detectors and joggers and such were still in bed, and was often the only one there.  As you said, the beach would be full of life.  Snowy owls, hundreds of sandpipers, harriers hunting voles, gannets, sea ducks, etc.  I've stood at the end of Democrat and had loons diving in the deep water almost at my feet; I've come around a corner of a high spot on the point to unexpectedly face a couple dozen hauled-out seals.

But I've stopped doing that over the last couple of years.  The surfer permits assure that the beach will be as rutted and hard to walk as a plowed field all the way to the point, and not that people can drive rather than walk during the winter, there are far more people and far less life, even in the early hours of the morning.  The place has definitely gone downhill, and I've lost one of my favorite places to wander.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

23 mins ago, CWitek said:

The surfer permits 

there is that period between december 15th and march 30th, there is no access by permit.

February, when it is still too cold to poke around LNB or stacks, that  is when i throw a carhartt on and walk to the tip.

Pretend i'm still in syracuse walking out of the woods due to a dead snowmobile.

1 hour ago, GarbageFish said:

there is that period between december 15th and march 30th, there is no access by permit.

February, when it is still too cold to poke around LNB or stacks, that  is when i throw a carhartt on and walk to the tip.

Pretend i'm still in syracuse walking out of the woods due to a dead snowmobile.

That's the fishing permit.

4x4 surfing permit allows surfers year-round vehicle access to Democrat.  And every time I've tried to take a walk out there during the winters, the surfers are there, the Jeeps are swinging from the dunes to the tide lines, tearing up the beach, and walking is nowhere near as pleasant as it used to be.

The spot where the Bonaparte's gulls used to feed just outside the surf is now overrun with people trying to ride 2-foot waves.  The big sandpiper flocks are gone.  The seals have retreated to the ruins of the Construction Dock.

Just not the same.

Surf permit information is here:  https://parks.ny.gov/documents/regions/2022LongIslandPermitsGuide.pdf

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams