ProSkateFisherman

Bucket list fish

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What is the one fish that you would like to catch before you die? For me it would be a muskie over 60 pounds. That would be a truly impressive catch. It's a lot harder to catch a 60 pound freshwater fish then it is to catch a 60 pound saltwater fish. People pull up 100, 200, 300+ pound fish every day in the salt. But when was the last time you heard of a fish over 50 pounds come out of a lake or river that wasn't a catfish or a sturgeon? That's what would make it even more special IMO. 

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

Keeper striped bass on the fly. Got two this weekend! Now my quest for one over 40” on the fly from shore continues.

095B94A4-0619-4FA0-A06A-38E905B88F21.jpeg

8D067A17-7B63-49C0-BFA6-A4C1DC85A50F.jpeg

19 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Cod from shore. 

Even better if it was in Long Island Sound.  

When I started fishing in 1978, I lived in Queens and fished Fort Tilden - the Sunday NY times would occasionally feasture a fishing article (not a report) in their lifestyles section.  Back then the beaches of Montauk had snow all winter and a dedicated cadre of Surf Casters who caught rather large Cod from the sand South Shore Beaches of Montauk.  Of course Dave and Bill of the original Surfcaster used to carry quite the selection of Grunden "North Sea" outwear, along with all the requisite thermal "wader pants", long tail thermal shirts, etc.  Although some "Ostriches" may stick their heads in the sand, those of us who accept environmental reality, remember when the states of the lower North Atlantic Region actually had a winter all winter and the accompanying winter species available from shore. We also remember when VS's became too stiff from the cold to use and we would break out the Cracks and Luxor's to fill the gap.

Short walk down memory lane - FYI, I have it from a very reliable source personal acquaintance, who spent Fathers day inshore fishing in Ocean County, that there were Bunker as far as the eye could see, and some very happy Dolphins feasting upon them.

1 min ago, FlatWing said:

When I started fishing in 1978, I lived in Queens and fished Fort Tilden - the Sunday NY times would occasionally feasture a fishing article (not a report) in their lifestyles section.  Back then the beaches of Montauk had snow all winter and a dedicated cadre of Surf Casters who caught rather large Cod from the sand South Shore Beaches of Montauk.  Of course Dave and Bill of the original Surfcaster used to carry quite the selection of Grunden "North Sea" outwear, along with all the requisite thermal "wader pants", long tail thermal shirts, etc.  Although some "Ostriches" may stick their heads in the sand, those of us who accept environmental reality, remember when the states of the lower North Atlantic Region actually had a winter all winter and the accompanying winter species available from shore. We also remember when VS's became too stiff from the cold to use and we would break out the Cracks and Luxor's to fill the gap.

Short walk down memory lane - FYI, I have it from a very reliable source personal acquaintance, who spent Fathers day inshore fishing in Ocean County, that there were Bunker as far as the eye could see, and some very happy Dolphins feasting upon them.

I don't think of cod as a fish you can catch in the surf, but people have caught swordfish from the beach so anything's possible. I don't think I've even ever seen a living cod before. I wonder if people still catch them on the sand. 

7 mins ago, lazzyone said:

Tuna from the beach.  Hooked into one last year but had to break it off before it spooled me.

Awesome! Any chance that was on oct 6?

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, FlatWing said:

I think I just found my Bucket List Fishing Trip.  

A CAMPERVAN Fishing Trip in ICELAND - Good Times with Go Campers - YouTube

Do they have polar bears would be my 1st question!  But that looks epic. 

What are the chances of a halibut too?  That would be a bucket fish for me as well. 

Edited by PSegnatelli