PSegnatelli

Exotic Catches

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

Just now, bassturds said:

Any advice to catch these exotics?   What to look for in a spot? I’d be fishing from shore and kayak. 

Dying to catch some cool warm water visitors.  So far, 2 Spanish Macks on the cape in 2019, a handful of Chub Macks in Ri in 2021.  Would love to add more, banded rudders, juvy Ajs, puffer fish, Lizzard fish etc. 

Western LIS got inundated with Lizard Fish about 15 years ago. Must have caught a dozen or so while fluking. Haven't seen or caught one since but one summer they seem to be everywhere. Saw a huge Leatherback off the outer Shagwong Buoy years ago as well. Almost as big as a VW beetle just paddling by with the tide. At first site I thought, "where the hell did this diver come from?". Pretty cool. 

12 hours ago, bassturds said:

Any advice to catch these exotics?   What to look for in a spot? I’d be fishing from shore and kayak. 

Dying to catch some cool warm water visitors.  So far, 2 Spanish Macks on the cape in 2019, a handful of Chub Macks in Ri in 2021.  Would love to add more, banded rudders, juvy Ajs, puffer fish, Lizzard fish etc. 

for most fish good rocky bottom. For lizarrds and northern king fish sand bottoms.

In the mid to  late 80`s, late  summer I remember reading an article in the westerly sun about a guy catching a 187lb yellow fin tuna way up either in the mystic river, or one of the smaller tributaries near mystic.The guy actually got it with a snag hook in an area that was narrow, fairly shallow but had a decent tide change. He sold it to a fish market in Pawcatuck , and i think the state confiscated it to examine it.  I remember the guys name from the article and looked him up to see if my memory was going sideways, I found the guys obit , he passed in  March. I clipped the article to save it, but i cant find it. 

After telling my fishing friends about it, one of them said he was pretty sure he saw the fish slashing bait outside of Noank the week before, guess you never know

My father got me started using a dragnet many years ago, and to this day I still have a 24' one, though it doesn't get used much. Drag one along a beach and all kinds of weird stuff will be in there. Sea horses. something like a sea horse we called pipe fish. Squid, puffers, weird crabs, shrimp. And the list goes on. Like myself years back with my dd, the kids today still like following along the beach to see what marine life is in that net. Not exotic but it's incredible how much sea life lives right at Long Island Sound's door.

As a plus... Lots of fresh fluke bait! And plenty of smaller stuff for snappers.

3 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

My father got me started using a dragnet many years ago, and to this day I still have a 24' one, though it doesn't get used much. Drag one along a beach and all kinds of weird stuff will be in there. Sea horses. something like a sea horse we called pipe fish. Squid, puffers, weird crabs, shrimp. And the list goes on. Like myself years back with my dd, the kids today still like following along the beach to see what marine life is in that net. Not exotic but it's incredible how much sea life lives right at Long Island Sound's door.

As a plus... Lots of fresh fluke bait! And plenty of smaller stuff for snappers.

Same here. I remember doing this in the 80s with my family at Silver sands and we would net huge amounts of giant spearing along with all the other cool stuff. I started doing this with my kids a few years ago and it’s still a ton of fun for me. Everything that you mentioned plus baby flounder, tog, robins and other minnows. This year I bought a battery powered Frabile cooler so that we can keep our findings for a couple hours without worrying about changing the water. 

Same here!  Loved draggin the net for shiners!  

Haven't done it in a few years.  Last time I was out I stepped on a nice fluke,  it shot straight up my leg and got caught inside the netting in my bathing suit!  

I had to drop my shorts in the water to get it out and untangled!  

On 7/10/2022 at 3:54 PM, PSegnatelli said:

Same here!  Loved draggin the net for shiners!  

Haven't done it in a few years.  Last time I was out I stepped on a nice fluke,  it shot straight up my leg and got caught inside the netting in my bathing suit!  

I had to drop my shorts in the water to get it out and untangled!  

Wouldve made a good video. :p

My meanest fish ever. Caught in Gloucester. 100’. Wolffish. Had to let it go. Prohibited species in Mass. 
not only did it have fangs, the whole mouth was filled with crusher plates. Bent my spoon to a 90 degree angle. Also left dents in the metal.  The lobsterman I showed the pic to said this was a large specimen for this species.  Probably delicious. LOL. 

6447B5C5-63AF-4AF5-82AD-09636403015F.jpeg

281A59FC-89F1-44E2-BA14-4A909F36ED93.jpeg

9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Wolffish are really delicious!

That one was almost 40”. Fought like a boot. 

Bought some sabiki rigs to see if I can catch some oddballs.  

I'm thinkin about cuttin the rig in half. Just for casting ease.   Then suspending them under a casting egg with a split shot to keep it down.  I may smear some procure on the flies too. 

I was watchin some guys in the UK catchin sandeels on em.  That'd be pretty cool. But if I could get into some large silversides I'd be stoked.  

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Bought some sabiki rigs to see if I can catch some oddballs.  

I'm thinkin about cuttin the rig in half. Just for casting ease.   Then suspending them under a casting egg with a split shot to keep it down.  I may smear some procure on the flies too. 

I was watchin some guys in the UK catchin sandeels on em.  That'd be pretty cool. But if I could get into some large silversides I'd be stoked.  

You want big spearing, use an umbrella net and cat food.

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

You want big spearing, use an umbrella net and cat food.

I do when I'm perched on a pier.   But they don't work that well when wading.   Used get them with a seine but a one man seine is a fruitless endeavor. 

I've caught them on small Kastmasters before.  So I know they'll hit a lure.   

I don't need a bucket full.  Just a couple dozen for a few meals.