PSeggs

Exotic Catches

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was reading the DEEP fishing guide and looking at the record catches. 

 

Some really cool species have been bagged in LIS. Most seem to be listed as Millstone. Which makes sense. Warm water fish seek warm water.  

 

Anybody catch any oddballs here?  

 

Rarest for me was juvie sturgeon. Wife and I caught one each back to back.  Both 3ft+.  One was almost 4ft.    Both on a sandworm, fishing for scup.  Around 04-05.  Milford area. 

 

 

I'd be smitten with myself if I caught any exotic fish this summer.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last few years there's been schools of Spanish mackerel around come mid-late summer, some stacking up in warm water outflows 

Other miscellaneous mackerels as well but they're seemingly becoming more common 

Lots of small sturgeon in CT river late summer, but you're not supposed to catch um 

Have also been some scattered jack crevalles and blue runners around mentioned warm water spots 

Shark species and mola mola tend to congregate in warm water refuges also at times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spanish Mackerel and lizard fish seem to be the most common exotics lately. I still haven’t caught a trigger fish yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, z-man said:

Spanish Mackerel and lizard fish seem to be the most common exotics lately. I still haven’t caught a trigger fish yet. 

I've gotten a handful tog fishing in RI

Absolutely delicious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrahamN said:

I've gotten a handful tog fishing in RI

Absolutely delicious 

Using crabs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, z-man said:

Using crabs?

Yeah, small Asian shorecrabs 

Apparently there's a handful of spots that they show up on certain structure most years 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GrahamN said:

Last few years there's been schools of Spanish mackerel around come mid-late summer, some stacking up in warm water outflows 

Other miscellaneous mackerels as well but they're seemingly becoming more common 

Lots of small sturgeon in CT river late summer, but you're not supposed to catch um 

Have also been some scattered jack crevalles and blue runners around mentioned warm water spots 

Shark species and mola mola tend to congregate in warm water refuges also at times

 

4 hours ago, z-man said:

Spanish Mackerel and lizard fish seem to be the most common exotics lately. I still haven’t caught a trigger fish yet. 

Awesome. This gets my mouth watering.  

 

I'm officially off for the summer!   

I definitely wanna make more trips east this summer. 

Find some spots and hopefully catch some fish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GrahamN said:

Yeah, small Asian shorecrabs 

Apparently there's a handful of spots that they show up on certain structure most years 

 

Wrecks! They like structure and are often caught on wrecks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Wrecks! They like structure and are often caught on wrecks.

Love structure, floating buckets etc, similar to mahi

But definitely wrecks and certain rockpiles

Wish I could find more this year from my kayak. They're my favorite eating fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't overly exotic, it was caught at a popular spring spot pretty much on the sound in early April. Again, a stocked fish, but kind of cool that it made its way to the sound.

 

DSCN1445.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

This isn't overly exotic, it was caught at a popular spring spot pretty much on the sound in early April. Again, a stocked fish, but kind of cool that it made its way to the sound.

 

DSCN1445.JPG

That a stocked Atlantic Salmon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder when the last time a cod was caught in LIS??  From shore even.  

 

Anyone know if a halibut has ever been caught??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I wonder when the last time a cod was caught in LIS??  From shore even.  

 

Anyone know if a halibut has ever been caught??

We used to catch Tommy cod in Norwalk harbor. I’d be surprised if some Atlantic cod weren’t caught in the eastern sound. Never hear of a halibut caught anywhere south of MA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I wonder when the last time a cod was caught in LIS??  From shore even.  

 

Anyone know if a halibut has ever been caught??

Cod: The James Joseph party boat has caught a small handful during tog seasons later in the fall when he concentrates on deeper water wrecks. Huntington, NY Western Suffolk county.  We had a banded rudder fish hanging under our swim line floats one August for a few days. Snapping my fingers in the water could almost hand feed him. 

 

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.58.52 AM.png

Edited by brushfly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.