TopStriperAngler

Mixing Etex By Weight: Ratio?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am looking at the technical data sheet "Product Bulletin for Envirotex Lite". Hardener density=8.01 lbs/gal. Resin density=9.48 lbs/gal. 

Etex is supposed to be mixed 1:1 by volume. If you convert those volumes to a weight ratio it seems like it would 1 part hardener to 1.18 parts resin. 

Anyone use that ratio when calculating mixes of etex? 

Want to make sure I figured this right. I divided the resin density by the hardner density to arrive at the ratio.  

I mix Devcon 2-T using weight. It's 1 part hardener to 1.2 parts resin, by weight. Works pretty well and is easy. Use one cup.  

Thanks if anyone can confirm this ratio of 1 part by weight hardener to 1.18 part by weight resin being equivalent to the 1:1 volume ratio. 

Thanks.   

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Cool I heard about the syringe method and the need to mix real well. This is my first foray into etex. Can't find devcon in stores anymore and want to try etex for its alleged flexing. 

I have found measure by weight so easy for Devcon I want to continue that method with the etex.

Honestly I think you're making this too difficult

I've been using e-tex for 20 years and have always found it to be easy and forgiving

I use a plastic medicine cup, buy them by the stack from the surgical supply.

Put a sharp marker dot on the lines I'm measuring to in order to make them easier to see and pour to, then stir well with a half a chopstick.

If I'm using it on rod wraps and want to be fanatical about no bubbles in the mix, I'll wrap some tin foil on a paper plate and pour the mixed epoxy onto that. 

That's pretty much it, can't be any less complicated and it's been foolproof for me

Thanks folks. Those plastic medicine cups sound like a great idea. 

Measuring by weight is pretty foolproof and easy too. I started doing it for mixing two part casting resin to cast plugs in molds. So I've got the 1/10th gram scale and am used to using it. Plastic cup goes on scale. Add a gram of the hardener and 1.2 grams of the resin and good to go. Multiply up as needed. 

I used to just eyeball volumes by putting lines of epoxy/hardener on aluminum foil. That worked fine too but a plastic medicine cup would have been much better.   

I've always measured mine with plastic spoons ' borrowed' from the local convenience store, oh, say 10 at a time !!!  :naughty:

One thing I make sure to do is what they recommend. Mix in one cup for a couple minutes, then pour into another cup and mix that for another minute or so, Never had a problem with e-tex.

Thanks. I will remember the two mixing steps. Looking at the instructions now. I wonder what the transfer to a new cup accomplishes. Maybe avoids pouring some unmixed resin or hardener onto your project.   

@TopStriperAngler I haven’t been using etex very long, I’m still a rookie-but I also started mixing by volume measurements-but I’m only doing a plug at a time and my batches are pretty small- so I tried measuring by weight.  I have a cheap scale that measures in grams , 2 decimal places and that works great! 

So your pretty much correct on the ratio. I weighed the two bottles straight out of the box and did the math and came up with 1.179 - so I also contacted the company asking if this was correct- they stated that the way they engineered the epoxy - it is meant to be measured by volume. So it’s best to use some kind of graduated measuring cup. But then at the end of the email they said - and yeah btw it’s (1:1.175) (harder:resin) so there you go! I have also found that if you measure it exact, you generally end up with less air bubbles. 
I also found an app called RatioCalc2 that is helpful for doing the math on the fly 

425084F1-10E5-4ED2-9DBD-E03534F5C239.jpeg.6c85f8f68e3a657a25c92744d9c6f2b1.jpeg

On 6/20/2022 at 4:45 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

Thanks folks. Those plastic medicine cups sound like a great idea. 

Measuring by weight is pretty foolproof and easy too. I started doing it for mixing two part casting resin to cast plugs in molds. So I've got the 1/10th gram scale and am used to using it. Plastic cup goes on scale. Add a gram of the hardener and 1.2 grams of the resin and good to go. Multiply up as needed. 

I used to just eyeball volumes by putting lines of epoxy/hardener on aluminum foil. That worked fine too but a plastic medicine cup would have been much better.   

If you get a couple 5cc syringes you can drill a hole in the top of the hardener and epoxy bottles. this serves as a port to withdraw the amount of epoxy and hardener you need while allowing you to get the exact volume. It also serves as a place to store the syringes. Much easier than trying to pour out a exact weight,

2 hours ago, moocks said:

If you get a couple 5cc syringes you can drill a hole in the top of the hardener and epoxy bottles. this serves as a port to withdraw the amount of epoxy and hardener you need while allowing you to get the exact volume. It also serves as a place to store the syringes. Much easier than trying to pour out a exact weight,

That's a great idea. Thank you. Yes sometimes it is hard to stop the pour on the dot. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

@TopStriperAngler I haven’t been using etex very long, I’m still a rookie-but I also started mixing by volume measurements-but I’m only doing a plug at a time and my batches are pretty small- so I tried measuring by weight.  I have a cheap scale that measures in grams , 2 decimal places and that works great! 

So your pretty much correct on the ratio. I weighed the two bottles straight out of the box and did the math and came up with 1.179 - so I also contacted the company asking if this was correct- they stated that the way they engineered the epoxy - it is meant to be measured by volume. So it’s best to use some kind of graduated measuring cup. But then at the end of the email they said - and yeah btw it’s (1:1.175) (harder:resin) so there you go! I have also found that if you measure it exact, you generally end up with less air bubbles. 
I also found an app called RatioCalc2 that is helpful for doing the math on the fly 

425084F1-10E5-4ED2-9DBD-E03534F5C239.jpeg.6c85f8f68e3a657a25c92744d9c6f2b1.jpeg

Wow jackpot, Mr. Belmar. Thank you. So it sounds like all of these epoxies are pretty close to each other in terms of this ratio of hardener to resin. Devcon actually provides the mix by weight ratio in their technical data sheet. 

I emailed the company the other day, too. Nice to know I already have the answer in hand. 

Your bottles are exactly how I mark my devcon bottles. 

4 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Wow jackpot, Mr. Belmar. Thank you. So it sounds like all of these epoxies are pretty close to each other in terms of this ratio of hardener to resin. Devcon actually provides the mix by weight ratio in their technical data sheet. 

I emailed the company the other day, too. Nice to know I already have the answer in hand. 

Your bottles are exactly how I mark my devcon bottles. 

YW! Yes, it does seem like all the epoxy’s are all kinda close - I also use Bob Smith Industry’s and I contacted them- theirs is 1:1.1 too. Although as others mentioned, etex is the most forgiving. I now actually prefer measuring by weight- it’s much easier, faster, cleaner and no guessing, this app has also helped makes things easier. I used a starting point of hardener of 2.36 as an example- it calculates

the rest

C8761175-D488-40D3-8AB6-90B6F6507FF9.png.7aa0365c786b75168bf178753c918243.png

On 6/20/2022 at 3:03 AM, TopStriperAngler said:

I am looking at the technical data sheet "Product Bulletin for Envirotex Lite". Hardener density=8.01 lbs/gal. Resin density=9.48 lbs/gal. 

Etex is supposed to be mixed 1:1 by volume. If you convert those volumes to a weight ratio it seems like it would 1 part hardener to 1.18 parts resin. 

Anyone use that ratio when calculating mixes of etex? 

Want to make sure I figured this right. I divided the resin density by the hardner density to arrive at the ratio.  

I mix Devcon 2-T using weight. It's 1 part hardener to 1.2 parts resin, by weight. Works pretty well and is easy. Use one cup.  

Thanks if anyone can confirm this ratio of 1 part by weight hardener to 1.18 part by weight resin being equivalent to the 1:1 volume ratio. 

Thanks.   

I'm pretty technical about this. I line up 2 throw away plastic communion cups side by side and fill equally with as much prewarmed Etex as I think I'll need. Mix together and Voila !

7 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I also use Bob Smith Industry’s and I contacted them- theirs is 1:1.1 too.

Bob Smith--is that the 30 minute epoxy? I picked up some of that the other day and tried a 1 to 1.2 ratio, based on a youtube, and it came out fine. 

But I did read in the product instructions that there about 10%(by volume I think) wiggle room and the stuff would still cure correctly. I did two plugs and they appear to have cured fine. So perhaps I proved that wiggle room indeed exists.