RI Fish Report Blog. June 20 - June 26

Rate this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Happy Father's Day.....

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I have returned from a year away from the Ocean State while I was in the Panhandle of Fl. Got back into town yesterday mid-day; got majority of the responsibilities done and organized, proceeded to lay out my surf gear and plugs and instantly started debating an outing off the top of high into outgoing. But unfortunately with 26+ hours in a vehicle over 2 days I was just exhausted. So I opted for a recon plugging session early this morning from about first light until 9-9:15; tide was not favorable, where I was wind assisted the casts; only bass activity were 8-12” schoolies amongst the boulders. After about an hour of boulder hopping I cruised back north a bit to try a second location that I know usually holds a fish or two. After a handful of casts, of course at this point I’m half aware of my pencil dancing around when all of a sudden the rod just about gets taken out of my hands. Turns out the bigger blues (~6-12lb) range have become pretty prominent again this year! Lots of fun and hopefully a good late start to my season. 

3D60DF4C-3C35-45D4-A977-6E994D97543B.jpeg

1AEC993B-AC52-4158-9486-7850AF9C6333.jpeg

Burr.... 52 degrees this morning June 20th, one day before the official start of summer.

I can't believe the cold and biting wind this morning from the northwest.

We stayed around the mainland today from the Harbor of Refuge to Narragansett Towers.

It was the only place we could fly fish with some wind and waves protection.

We ran into an open water surface blitz for almost an hour just after sunrise. There were many boils but so spread out.

No compaction what so ever. Tough to keep up with.

One notable catch.... This bluefish caught on a fly, no wire, the tug of war lasted 15 minutes.

What skill or luck he didn't bite the leader after all that time. Luck certainly was on our side playing that gator blue.

All toll, 7 stripers, 5 bluefish, 1 scup.

20220620_060532.jpg

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Some days you just luck out! It is bad vibes when you leave the boat ramp and there is no sign of baitfish around the pilings and floats. Its bad luck idling thru the harbor and not seeing any birds hunting when there’s all kind of lobster bait around. It’s ever worst bad luck going by the center wall and there are thousands of gull and cormorants just perching doing nothing. When you finally get outside and there’s not a bird in the sky, nothing visual clear to the horizon, nothing on the screen, it’s going to be one of those day.  

Today we caught over 30 stripers, no blue fish, three scup, six tautaug, all on a fly with a husband and wife team. We fish over structure and current in the same locations all morning long and the bite lasted hours. So lucky or blessed?

20220621_100333.jpg

Capt. Ray Stachelek

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Some days you just luck out! It is bad vibes when you leave the boat ramp and there is no sign of baitfish around the pilings and floats. Its bad luck idling thru the harbor and not seeing any birds hunting when there’s all kind of lobster bait around. It’s ever worst bad luck going by the center wall and there are thousands of gull and cormorants just perching doing nothing. When you finally get outside and there’s not a bird in the sky, nothing visual clear to the horizon, nothing on the screen, it’s going to be one of those day.  

Today we caught over 30 stripers, no blue fish, three scup, six tautaug, all on a fly with a husband and wife team. We fish over structure and current in the same locations all morning long and the bite lasted hours. So lucky or blessed?

20220621_100333.jpg

6 Tog on a fly? What type of fly? Are you fishing near the bottom?

3 hours ago, z-man said:

6 Tog on a fly? What type of fly? Are you fishing near the bottom?

Fishing the humps off Newport where the slopes range quickly from 30 ft. to ten or less.

Capt. Ray Stachelek

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Wow, the togs came up that far? Scup too??

There wasn't much bait around, wasn't marking any either, but the water was very clear.

My bet they were grabbing stuff elevated in the water column just to eat.

Capt. Ray Stachelek

4 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

There wasn't much bait around, wasn't marking any either, but the water was very clear.

My bet they were grabbing stuff elevated in the water column just to eat.

I have seen togs have needlefish in them, so anything is possible if they are desperate enough.

Fished mid bay in a boat, mostly trolling for blues.  6 Blues easily over 10lbs each. fish were scattered, lots of small schools of bait but no real concentration of bait or fish in area we were.  Dropped a very large fish, never close enough to know if a bass or a blue.  Marked some large fish near the end that would not bite, wish i had pogies or eels as it seemed like there were larger bass but would not hit any plugs.  Nice day on the water with some friends.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....