suntzu

Off topic bug discussion from June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

251 posts in this topic

Damn you SOL.......

Now EVERYONE knows to use sharp hooks! 

As soon as that revelation got out, the fishery was doomed......doomed I say.

Same thing happened when someone posted that you should remove hook protectors on Tsunami shads BEFORE you fish them....

Damn you SOL

9 hours ago, SIC34 said:

The report thread is the same as it's been for 10 years. People are sick of it, except the regular 10 guys that post and the 33k that view it every month. Times have changed, a lot more guys fishing and zeroing in on spots..but SOL hasn't changed. Management should discuss it. BTW, the same old response that tackle shops, IG and Fbook are worse doesn't carry water anymore as proven with the bug threads.

I said it before and will say it again..this place can and should  be better. You've lost a lot of good contributors because you cater to the numbers now.

You need to ask yourself what have you contributed lately to make it better. The people are what make it better/worse.

Ooooh the bugs … been using them for almost ever.. when you didn’t have money for bait you used bugs , dug up some clams , blow fish guts … they all caught fish … now we have gulp and or similar man made bait … the pretty people didn’t even want to fish , it was so ggrrroooossss … I guess they realized how many times can you sit on a beech and bull c h I t about bull c h I t that you bull c h I t t e d about last year … watch when a kid walks past you while fishing on the beach , with his mother , second question he asks , when can I go fishing ….lol lol lol 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, TimS said:

You can start your own fishing website and not let people talk about fishing, on this site folks will be encouraged to talk about fishing just like they have for the past 23 years. We didn’t start anything but making people aware that spot burning destroys fishing spots. 

I’ll do my part by not starting a website. This current sand crab craze absolutely started here. If you look back you’ll see people slowly gaining interest, asking questions and reporting success. It ends up in a magazine, brings more people to the site. A bait and tackle shop employee learns about it on here and and sees the online buzz (almost all on here or reported to them from people on here) so they start catering to it. Now they’re reporting to 14,000+ people on Instagram about it. All from here. Those are real life consequences from online reporting. I’m not saying to not let people talk about fishing, I’m saying to have people do it in a considerate manner for the benefit of themselves, others, and the species. As times change so do the ways that people communicate and “spot burn” - this is a new form of it and should be considered. It should be added that I met multiple people on the beach this spring that flew in from across the country to get in on the “epic clam bite” that this shop was promoting. One told me that they hadn’t seen so many catches in 30 years…. This person lived in South Carolina during “the bite” and only had the shops Instagram posts to judge. It was nowhere near the spring ocean fishing of the past. 

Edited by SurfCaster01289

16 hours ago, suntzu said:

My posts did not violate the user agreement of this site, were respectful & substantive yet were deleted Please delete all of my posts on this site

Respectfully 

If I can’t have a conversation about solutions I don’t want to be part of conversations that contribute to the problem @TimS

Besides people catching with bugs another good thing happens. 

1 hour ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

I’ll do my part by not starting a website. This current sand crab craze absolutely started here. If you look back you’ll see people slowly gaining interest, asking questions and reporting success. It ends up in a magazine, brings more people to the site. A bait and tackle shop employee learns about it on here and and sees the online buzz (almost all on here or reported to them from people on here) so they start catering to it. Now they’re reporting to 14,000+ people on Instagram about it. All from here. Those are real life consequences from online reporting. I’m not saying to not let people talk about fishing, I’m saying to have people do it in a considerate manner for the benefit of themselves, others, and the species. As times change so do the ways that people communicate and “spot burn” - this is a new form of it and should be considered. It should be added that I met multiple people on the beach this spring that flew in from across the country to get in on the “epic clam bite” that this shop was promoting. One told me that they hadn’t seen so many catches in 30 years…. This person lived in South Carolina during “the bite” and only had the shops Instagram posts to judge. It was nowhere near the spring ocean fishing of the past. 

It absolutely did not start here. It started because there’s no bunker on the beach. Fish were rooting around in the sand eating bugs, that’s what Started it. Every fish that was caught was spitting up bugs on the beach. We give our customers the best chances of catching fish. We had tons of people asking how to catch and fish them so we made a video. Should we stop selling things that catch fish, should we only promote things that aren’t going to work? We don’t give spots out, and we don’t use terms like blitz with the exception of last fall, Because those were legitimate blitz conditions. If you want to be a part of whatever solution you’re proposing stop posting on a website that promotes Fishing . Start making all your own gear as you don’t want manufacturers or vendors to be able to sell product. 

3 hours ago, wefish138 said:

It absolutely did not start here. It started because there’s no bunker on the beach. Fish were rooting around in the sand eating bugs, that’s what Started it. Every fish that was caught was spitting up bugs on the beach. We give our customers the best chances of catching fish. We had tons of people asking how to catch and fish them so we made a video. Should we stop selling things that catch fish, should we only promote things that aren’t going to work? We don’t give spots out, and we don’t use terms like blitz with the exception of last fall, Because those were legitimate blitz conditions. If you want to be a part of whatever solution you’re proposing stop posting on a website that promotes Fishing . Start making all your own gear as you don’t want manufacturers or vendors to be able to sell product. 

Keep telling yourself that. There are always small fish rooting, not that you’d know. The solution is not spot burning and being an internet fisherman, both of which you do.

im not mad at you guys for selling rakes, I’m disappointed at all the new attention and pressure that came directly from here. Now you guys adding another 14,000 eyes doesn’t help, but that’s the fault of the people reporting on SOL. 

And please, please, please don't tell anyone that there are clams in the ocean.

23 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

Keep telling yourself that. There are always small fish rooting, not that you’d know. The solution is not spot burning and being an internet fisherman, both of which you do.

im not mad at you guys for selling rakes, I’m disappointed at all the new attention and pressure that came directly from here. Now you guys adding another 14,000 eyes doesn’t help, but that’s the fault of the people reporting on SOL. 

Lol ok nerd. Clearly I have no idea what I’m doing. 

Posted (edited)

On 6/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, wefish138 said:

May have stopped in ur store yesterday we caught those fluke including 24 inches. Bud wanted to get home. 

others were all 20ish inches only thing I’ll say these ocean fish right now much skinnier than those in back down south. Guess they catch up once ocean temps  rise. 

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Posted (edited)

On 6/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, wefish138 said:

Decided to retract… 

On 6/20/2022 at 0:13 PM, SurfCaster01289 said:

i am trying to figure out why you come to this site.  You clearly bitch all the time.  So what do you do on this website if all you do is bitch?

just face it the internet ruined things. Thats what really happened. 

Edited by TimS
quote edited

I liked it better when tom ran the shop.  

"Where are they catching fish?"

"In the ocean".

On what?  

"Bait"

15 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I liked it better when tom ran the shop.  

"Where are they catching fish?"

"In the ocean".

On what?  

"Bait"

Don't forget.. "Good morning"....What's so good about it."  But anyway, I love the complainers. I can always use a good laugh with my coffee to start the work day.  Bitchers, bitch on. 

17 hours ago, wefish138 said:

Of course it didn't "start" here.  Guys who have been fishing a long time know that these summer bass eat sand crabs. Bass eat everything that they can fit in their mouths, always have, always will.  It certainly didnt start when the beach bunker bite stopped, its been going on since bass have been swimming.  If you could go back in time and throw sand crabs in a rip in the summer of 2008, you would have caught fish. I vividly remember bass rushing up the wash chasing crabs in the middle of the day throughout the 1990s as a kid on the beach.  So it didn't start here, however if you want to say the recent surge/popularity of fishing sand crabs didnt come from the reports thread here, you are certainly, 100% wrong.  Couldn't be more wrong.  At all.  Its painfully obvious the recent trend started here.

Not trying to dig at MC55, the guy certainly puts more effort into fishing than 99% of guys out there.  He didnt invent "bug fishing", but certainly found a way to be successful at it.  The issue is that while it probably took time for him/anyone who figured it out on their own to perfect, once someone is told how to do it, it really isn't difficult fishing to master.  Easy fishing draws crowds.  Crowds ruin fishing in one way or another.  Rant over, for now.