suntzu

Off topic bug discussion from June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

251 posts in this topic

This was a fun thread to get told about. It’s quite literally my job to put customers on fish. Raking bugs is nothing new, and not a secret at all. We sold them last summer whenever we could them them in, and we’ll do it again this year if they’re available.  There’s at least two shops in south Jersey that constantly sell them. People can complain about social media all you want, but this forum is the same thing on a much smaller scale. We, as a shop, don’t give exact locations. We give people the tools and information they need to catch fish. Every single person in this industry puts people on fish, whether it’s a plug builder or a huge corporation. If you ask any plug builder, they’re going to tell you how to fish their plugs, and i do the same thing for our customers. If you’re unhappy with the effect the internet has had on fishing, why are you on a fishing forum?

and if you’re unhappy about this, stay tuned for my next secret video in a few weeks! 

Posted (edited)

If your post was pulled it was because it had nothing to do with posting an actual fishing report.  If you want to discuss how this site or other social media platforms have altered fishing in general start a thread and move the conversation there.  Let the reports thread be the place where ppl can share their results from an outing on the water.  

Edited by fishless

2 hours ago, fishless said:

If your post was pulled it was because it had nothing to do with posting an actual fishing report.  If you want to discuss how this site or other social media platforms have altered fishing in general start a thread and move the conversation there.  Let the reports thread be the place where ppl can share their results from an outing on the water.  

Good looking out!
Keep on keeping on!

22 hours ago, Sparky said:

No different than the guys who learned how to catch surf fluke from Skinner's videos.

You can see them on the beach shaking their rods like an epileptic. 

More people surf fishing than ever.

Social media disease.

None of this would ever change my impression of the man who familiarized us with his methods. He fishes harder than just about anyone and was willing to share. No good deed goes unpunished. 

I think its just a good lesson to everyone of how much of an impact you can have posting anywhere.  To the average person that visits this thread there's maybe 10-20 guys who post regularly, but apparently enough passive readers to make an quite an impact.

These summer resident fish went fairly unmolested for the last 10-15 years. It makes me sad to think the raritan bay bucket brigade has found a new open season to kill.  Let's be honest, it's fairly easy fishing. I don't think it will take much to really dent the local bass population.

4 hours ago, fishless said:

My posts did not violate the user agreement of this site, were respectful & substantive yet were deleted Please delete all of my posts on this site

Respectfully 

If I can’t have a conversation about solutions I don’t want to be part of conversations that contribute to the problem @TimS

57 mins ago, suntzu said:

My posts did not violate the user agreement of this site, were respectful & substantive yet were deleted Please delete all of my posts on this site

Respectfully 

If I can’t have a conversation about solutions I don’t want to be part of conversations that contribute to the problem @TimS

Oh stop it. Since when did you become a delicate petunia ? I prefer the Sunny that will smack someone over the head with his bag of copy machine repair tools.

The reports thread was being seriously derailed by a conversation that should have been in it's own thread. 

Fishless was doing his job covering for me while I was away and I back him 100% on the threads he hid.

I'm going to move them all into their own thread where they belong - which is NOT in the reports thread.

Posted (edited)

the internet, books and social media are great for information exchange. I've learned most of what I know including my career from the help of others information. My comment that's definitely open for criticism is I always assumed most of the fishermen here were die hard plug casters, and it seems all have joined the bandwagon to throw bait "bugs" lately. What's the difference between throwing that or a small bunker chunk/clam on the lip they will both accomplish the same thing. I think most of the bug tactics are misconstrued because more thought is going into putting the presentation where the bass are, where most chunk fishermen I see are trying to cast to the moon regardless of where it ends up. The point i'm trying to make is I don't think the bugs are as great as they seem, they are just being used by experienced surf casters that know where to put them. 

Edited by SnoozeFishing

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Oh stop it. Since when did you become a delicate petunia ? I prefer the Sunny that will smack someone over the head with his bag of copy machine repair tools.

The reports thread was being seriously derailed by a conversation that should have been in it's own thread. 

Fishless was doing his job covering for me while I was away and I back him 100% on the threads he hid.

I'm going to move them all into their own thread where they belong - which is NOT in the

The report thread is the same as it's been for 10 years. People are sick of it, except the regular 10 guys that post and the 33k that view it every month. Times have changed, a lot more guys fishing and zeroing in on spots..but SOL hasn't changed. Management should discuss it. BTW, the same old response that tackle shops, IG and Fbook are worse doesn't carry water anymore as proven with the bug threads.

I said it before and will say it again..this place can and should  be better. You've lost a lot of good contributors because you cater to the numbers now.

How do you have a reports thread to talk about fishing and not make people mad about it? 

Try to keep it as vague as possible? People still get angry about it. Try to keep it as chill as possible? Ppl are pissed that a TECHNIQUE used to catch fish is too specific .. IMO don’t share then. 

Who knew a little sinker and some sand fleas and a 3/0 circle were the key? The sky is falling

On 6/18/2022 at 8:55 PM, SurfCaster01289 said:

SOL started it!!! It’s time to stop reporting!

You can start your own fishing website and not let people talk about fishing, on this site folks will be encouraged to talk about fishing just like they have for the past 23 years. We didn’t start anything but making people aware that spot burning destroys fishing spots. 

7 hours ago, SIC34 said:

The report thread is the same as it's been for 10 years. People are sick of it, except the regular 10 guys that post and the 33k that view it every month. Times have changed, a lot more guys fishing and zeroing in on spots..but SOL hasn't changed. Management should discuss it. BTW, the same old response that tackle shops, IG and Fbook are worse doesn't carry water anymore as proven with the bug threads.

I said it before and will say it again..this place can and should  be better. You've lost a lot of good contributors because you cater to the numbers now.

I fished when beaches were much more crowded and size limit was 36 inches!!

made trek north (ocean county) for me and basically fished alone on a Saturday morning. Caught nice flatties saw plenty of Stripers cruising lip line and watched them occasionally attack pod of bunkers.  You can always find seclusion and still catch fish. 

don’t understand when fish aren’t around bunch of moanerheads when fish are around bunch of moanerheads.

16 hours ago, hobobob said:

I blame the tackle shop who put out that first free pot of coffee.

That's how they getcha!!

"Hey buddy....need some bean....."