suntzu

Off topic bug discussion from June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

214 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, cartopper said:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  
This sand bug thing is out of control.  Shops posting videos on “how to’s” and proclaiming “hot sand flea bite”.  Are you kidding me?  What used to be a quiet time of year to walk the beach throwing for Stripers in the wash or jetty tips has now become a circus.  Had a sand flea expert tell me I needed to change from the artificial I was using to sand fleas as that was the only way.  I thanked him, dug a bug from the sand at my feet and put it on my hydro pencil.  It didn’t work, go figure.

Helping a fellow angler on the sand or rocks is always a good thing.  Using the internet to proclaim/share specific methods and technique’s, post reports, post pics and encourage, otherwise unknowing or lazy anglers to get down to the beach and start catching, as it’s easy as 1-2-3 . . . The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Guess I was part of an era where disclosing spots was absolutely forbidden and even telling others what you were catching on was discouraged.  You had to spend time, observe and be thankful when an old timer would share some pearls of wisdom.  And you inherently knew to keep those pearls close to your vest.  

I’m glad somebody else said something. Thanks a lot SOL. This is another phenomenal example for those of you that believe SOL reports have minimal influence… this is why it’s best not to report. Can’t even fish sand crabs in peace anymore!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, Sparky said:

No different than the guys who learned how to catch surf fluke from Skinner's videos.

You can see them on the beach shaking their rods like an epileptic. 

Hilarious!

More people surf fishing than ever.

Social media disease.

This ^

None of this would ever change my impression of the man who familiarized us with his methods. He fishes harder than just about anyone and was willing to share. No good deed goes unpunished. 

Mike is an absolute gem to the surf fishing community. The secret to his success is his dedication. I hope he continues his reports. His posts have been literally the same for years. The one constant in this radically changing clown show. And he has unselfishly shared his techniques. Something changed this year and it had nothing to do with Mike. Anyone here can attest to this fact on the spring RB scene. Spots that were once only visited by sharpies have been inundated. He can stop or continue if he wants to and I guarentee either way nothing will change. I will stay dark or post my skunk outings. I urge others to do the same. Suntzu was right...this is why we cant have nice things.

Edited by adams54

1 hour ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

SOL started it!!! It’s time to stop reporting!

SOL certainly didn’t start it.  This site does a great job in controlling spot burns.  The advent of IG and FB have full responsibility.  Along with the individual who decides to post with detailed information.  Many do it out of naivety or trying to be helpful.  But both come with unintended consequences.

34 mins ago, SIC34 said:

You reap what you sow.....

I love the bug reports..keep em coming. :point:

Floating bugs is MC55’s thing like “piling on” is yours. 

Truth has been spoken (by others). But this is sad. Could be time to shut down the reports thread.

Firmly maintain it ain’t the fault of anyone here but the avalanche doesn’t need any help.

Here’s my two cents on the bug thing , First of all this is nothing new just recently advertised in the last few years.what the resident stripers used to eat during this time of the year are not around anymore,  there’s nothing left for them to eat except the mole crab! So many people have been digging bugs at the beach I fish that there aren’t many good bait  sized ones left! have fun and catch them up!

Edited by longfin61
Word

I had 3 bugs on each point of my super strike darter and couldn’t get a touch. What am I doing wrong??
I did see some peanuts but once it got dark they moved off to the Mud Hole for the night. 
Back at it tomorrow.

14 hours ago, cartopper said:

SOL certainly didn’t start it.  This site does a great job in controlling spot burns.  The advent of IG and FB have full responsibility.  Along with the individual who decides to post with detailed information.  Many do it out of naivety or trying to be helpful.  But both come with unintended consequences.

This thread 100% is responsible for starting the current sand crab hysteria. It eventually carried over to Instagram and beyond. 

2 hours ago, plt391 said:

I walk the beach every morning could be north could be south. I don’t see a major influx of guys doing bugs. Or plugs for that matter. Always plenty of space if you’re walking.   Mike never spot burns. He moves around every day. He’s a good guy and a dedicated fisherman. Who works hard at his craft. That’s why he catches. I use his report just to know bass are around. Then do my own thing. Thanks mike. 

That’s the problem - why notify people that the fish are around? The crowds will undoubtedly find you and others.

55 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

This thread 100% is responsible for starting the current sand crab hysteria. It eventually carried over to Instagram and beyond. 

No it's not, Mike has been fishing this way for many years, sharing his knowledge for many years. Why now?

5 hours ago, plt391 said:

I walk the beach every morning could be north could be south. I don’t see a major influx of guys doing bugs. Or plugs for that matter. Always plenty of space if you’re walking.   Mike never spot burns. He moves around every day. He’s a good guy and a dedicated fisherman. Who works hard at his craft. That’s why he catches. I use his report just to know bass are around. Then do my own thing. Thanks mike. 

All these guys got their panties in a bunch because they think the entire beach and methods are THEIRS.   "My spots", laughable. 

Edited by Danny1199
spelling

1 hour ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

That’s the problem - why notify people that the fish are around? The crowds will undoubtedly find you and others.

I think it's time for you to leave the site !!   There isn't one catching report that make you happy.....Just stick to the lounge and don't even read the fishing reports thread....every one upsets you.   There is nothing better for me than reading reports that guys are catching.......You want the ocean and bays to be only yours and have all the fish to yourself.

DV