suntzu

Off topic bug discussion from June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

214 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, suntzu said:

@TimS it is not about someone posting about a technique or reports It is about the inability to have a respectful, substantive polite conversation about it here and discussing solutions without coming under personal attack and having your posts deleted or moved. This used to be a place you could do that, not so much now in my humble opinion, and there never has been anywhere else you could going all the way back to WMI

my example would be 20+ years ago the expression of frustration around the inshore bunker reduction boats and their material adverse impact on the fishery. It was discussed at length here, including solutions, a response was organized here resulting in action in Trenton and the boats were pushed off shore and the inshore bunker population exploded as did the fishery. You should be incredibly proud that this happened because of SOL

Could that happen today or would the people who pursued that conversation be  attacked by the mob on here that simply wants free access to catching reports without distraction so that they don’t have to put the time and effort in to fill their buckets

that is what I meant with my statement These conversations need to take place, but there is no forum today to have them anywhere it seems

i will move on you can delete me, tired of being “cancelled “ anyway  and I will stay strange forever 

So what you really want is the internet to go away? -  I don't see how that is something that a fishing community forum is going to have any real substantive impact on unless we ALL win the lottery buy all of social media and just turn it off -  but guess what there will be replacements online before you can turn the first ones off.  

I do think you bring up a good point about civility and being able to talk to people--- anywhere.   Those days of trying to educate and make something better often results in someone telling you to "I touch myself" and this is the part of fishing for one but society in general I'd love to see us walk back.   The inability to be able to talk to someone, disagree or more importantly TO LISTEN is lost.  

1 min ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Brokeback.jpg.9dffe629f4f01aa372f79c2475f66edb.jpg

:clap::laugh::clap:  

You need a new picture, he lost most of that gut :) 

2 hours ago, TimS said:

People used to catch a nice fish in the river and stop in Deal/Elberon and roll it in the black sand to throw the tackle shop scale watchers off the trail  :laugh: 

I know that guy :kiss:

2 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I open my bail and drop my rod tip when people walk by so they don't know I've got fish on.  I lose a lot that way.  It's amazing that they just keep walking when they think you're not catching.  :laugh:  It's the way of the world these days.  

Could'a been worse. I use to get mugged by local head boats in the bay. I'd see em comin a 1/2 mile off only to have em pull up in front of me a a fluke drift. 

There was a lot more fish around back then.  All you old timers were lucky to have a good fishery.  With a ****** fishery and and more people fishing, it's the same supply / demand 

23 mins ago, Goldy said:

All you old timers were lucky to have a good fishery

No thing as good or bad fishery. Only good or bad fishermen.

28 mins ago, SB59 said:

No thing as good or bad fishery. Only good or bad fishermen.

Catch me a 30# bass out front in July Aug, Sept

4 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I open my bail and drop my rod tip when people walk by so they don't know I've got fish on.  I lose a lot that way.  It's amazing that they just keep walking when they think you're not catching.  :laugh:  It's the way of the world these days.  

If you ever want to clear an area out that you want to fish in, go down the beach a hundred  or so yards, stand on you line, bending the rod, and shake it like hell! The mob will be on you like white on rice! Just before they get to you, take your foot off the line, curse like a banshee and yell 'That's the second big one I lost." The thundering herd will battle it out for your spot and you'll have a beautiful vacated section of beach to fish.

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

Catch me a whiting.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Good fishermen would go to New England & north. 

13 hours ago, plugchucker said:

A day ago you asked to have all your posts removed, yet here ya are. Is this going to really, really,really going to be the Last Post Ever????

I don’t have time for this. Myself and 52 friends are gonna go dig some bugs. 

Lol, happens every year, gets on the soap box, some stones get thrown, claims he’s never posting agam. To funny, like clockwork.

7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

4 hours ago, SB59 said:

Good fishermen would go to New England & north. 

Once upon a time a good fisherman would go to Long Branch

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, TimS said:

No it didn't, people have been doing it since long before you or I were born. I don't know why people think anything being done today to catch bass was 'started' by anyone alive today. I remember catching bass on bugs in the wash in the 80's...and they guy who showed me how to do it probably learned it in the 1930's.

Blame it on the tackle shop, don't blame it on this site. Tackle shops, IG, FB and Twatter are where your spot burning hordes come from, they don't come from here. Make sure you stop using shops that burn spots and stop frequenting sites and social media that make a living burning spots - I decided a long time ago to not maximize the financial potential of this website by allowing spot burning, promoting spots, providing maps and coordinates or making a YT channel filled with catching bass in a thousand quiet little spots that would be shut down if three trucks showed up. Go to the sites, people, places and shops that HAVE attempted to maximize their revenue by burning spots and complain to them - the folks on this site make an enormous effort, every minute of every day to keep spot burning off of it.

TimS

I think its just semantics here.  Although im sure some guys reading MC55s reports probably think he found something new, its obviously been around forever.  I think what most guys mean in this thread is that the recent, as in the last year or so, seemingly surging bug fishing interest started here.  You may see it differently, but to me its very obvious the new found interest in it, started here.

Edit: Last year or so in the afternoons and mornings I've seen guys bug fishing where I would have never seen someone bass fishing in the previous 10 during the summer.  Not entirely earth shattering, but if suntzu is correct in his reports of the raritan bay bucket brigade invading his area this time of year, it does make me a little sad that these fish that went relatively unmolested are now gonna be harvested.

Edited by bbfish