suntzu

Off topic bug discussion from June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

251 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, cartopper said:

literally hords of anglers in spots directly related to the FB/IG crowd, not SOL at all.

He said he knows, but it would be harder to get them to stop so he's gonna focus on SOL where we don't allow spot burning :beers:

18 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

If you're not seeing any shenanigans then you aint getting out much or your fishing in spots where you might only catch a handful of small fish.  It's unfortunate that the productive areas are getting pounded by the absolute worst of the worst fishermen.  People with absolutely zero ethics.  

Those are the kind of folks that spot burning draws to a location, not someone telling folks to stick a hook in a little crab and throw it in the water.

16 hours ago, suntzu said:

14 people I have never seen before  fishing the same 1/5 mile stretch of beach right now with their stupid sand crab rake & Walmart specials on a Tuesday in the rain at low - black glad garbage bags flipping around  - nothing wrong with this picture 

How do you figure they learned about that 1/5 mile piece of beach?

15 hours ago, suntzu said:

After 23 years on here I just thought it was better than this

Lol, someone told people what to use for bait - and somehow that's a negative reflection on SOL? I mean, I knew you were a little strange (in a good way)  but holy crap :eek: 

2 mins ago, TimS said:

How do you figure they learned about that 1/5 mile piece of beach?

He does happen to live near a very popular area.  

42 mins ago, SB59 said:

I started in 1975 by total accident. Was bugging for blackfish off the rocks of Long Branch & started catching bass.

Ironically, I learned about big blackfish spawning near the jetties when a shed calico I was fishing for stripers was inhaled by an 8 or 9# blackfish one May morning a million years ago :laugh: 

3 mins ago, Goldy said:

He does happen to live near a very popular area.  

He never saw them before - then he saw them - they learned about that beach somewhere and the odds are it wasn't here - that was my point :) 

Everything is blamed on one fisherman or another posting something or other communication. When I fish during the day and catch a fish I always get people that saw it and make comments. I'm sure they spread it quick also.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Even back in the 80's we all knew better than to tell ANY tackle shop where we caught the fish we were weighing for tournaments. We didn't even tell the other guys in the clubs we belonged to where we were fishing. If you wanted something back then, you earned it - you fished - you figured stuff out - you didn't ever tell anyone where you were fishing and you made every effort to park in spots nobody would see your truck. But even then, nobody had any problem explaining the basics of how they were catching fish...or when...it was just the where that you protected at all costs. People used to catch a nice fish in the river and stop in Deal/Elberon and roll it in the black sand to throw the tackle shop scale watchers off the trail  :laugh: 

I open my bail and drop my rod tip when people walk by so they don't know I've got fish on.  I lose a lot that way.  It's amazing that they just keep walking when they think you're not catching.  :laugh:  It's the way of the world these days.  

8 mins ago, TimS said:

Lol, someone told people what to use for bait - and somehow that's a negative reflection on SOL? I mean, I knew you were a little strange (in a good way)  but holy crap :eek: 

@TimS it is not about someone posting about a technique or reports It is about the inability to have a respectful, substantive polite conversation about it here and discussing solutions without coming under personal attack and having your posts deleted or moved. This used to be a place you could do that, not so much now in my humble opinion, and there never has been anywhere else you could going all the way back to WMI

my example would be 20+ years ago the expression of frustration around the inshore bunker reduction boats and their material adverse impact on the fishery. It was discussed at length here, including solutions, a response was organized here resulting in action in Trenton and the boats were pushed off shore and the inshore bunker population exploded as did the fishery. You should be incredibly proud that this happened because of SOL

Could that happen today or would the people who pursued that conversation be  attacked by the mob on here that simply wants free access to catching reports without distraction so that they don’t have to put the time and effort in to fill their buckets

that is what I meant with my statement These conversations need to take place, but there is no forum today to have them anywhere it seems

i will move on you can delete me, tired of being “cancelled “ anyway  and I will stay strange forever 

11 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I open my bail and drop my rod tip when people walk by so they don't know I've got fish on.  I lose a lot that way.  It's amazing that they just keep walking when they think you're not catching.  :laugh:  It's the way of the world these days.  

Dubs and I were on the B-Gat south jetty a bunch of years ago - I always take the clickers out of my drags - I'm fighting a fish and someone comes walking down the jetty, I point the rod at the fish and it keeps taking line and bouncing around for the entire three minute conversation about how nobody's had a bite all night :laugh: He wishes us luck, walks off and we continued to bail them :beers: 

2 mins ago, TimS said:

Dubs and I were on the B-Gat south jetty a bunch of years ago - I always take the clickers out of my drags - I'm fighting a fish and someone comes walking down the jetty, I point the rod at the fish and it keeps taking line and bouncing around for the entire three minute conversation about how nobody's had a bite all night :laugh: He wishes us luck, walks off and we continued to bail them :beers: 

It really makes me question what some of the internet hero's are really into.  What's more important?  Losing oneself in the extreme meditation when it's just you and whatever fish your after, you know when the whole world disappears.  Or are they just after the :airquote: likes :airquote:  ?

9 mins ago, suntzu said:

it is not about someone posting about a technique or reports It is about the inability to have a respectful, substantive polite conversation about it here and discussing solutions without coming under personal attack and having your posts deleted or moved.

This is how moderators are asked to deal with off topic conversations. Are you not now able to have the respectful, substantive, polite conversation now? In this thread that is dedicated to the topic instead of these 11 pages derailing the fishing report thread? Discuss solutions, there won't be any personal attacks. Nobody is trying to stop you from having this conversation, lots of folks have made some very insightful, on topic posts in this thread - they would have been entirely off topic posts to make in the reports thread. You were gone for a bunch of years, it may have been during those years that we started to remove the off topic stuff from the reports thread because those off topic posts tended to turn into tangential discussions that would be better served when separated from the reports thread.

It's not really a new thing and it certainly is never intended to be personal.

14 mins ago, suntzu said:

my example would be 20+ years ago the expression of frustration around the inshore bunker reduction boats and their material adverse impact on the fishery. It was discussed at length here, including solutions, a response was organized here resulting in action in Trenton and the boats were pushed off shore and the inshore bunker population exploded as did the fishery. You should be incredibly proud that this happened because of SOL

The action as taken as a result of the conversation being moved from the NJ reports thread into the Main Forum to it's own thread. You should be proud that it happened as well as you were one of the organizers. It happened outside of the reports thread - if anything comes of this discussion it will be because it took place outside of the reports thread. The reports thread is for fishing reports - off topic discussions are removed from that thread. Your taking it personally is unfortunate, it was certainly not intended to be so.

14 mins ago, suntzu said:

Could that happen today or would the people who pursued that conversation be  attacked by the mob on here that simply wants free access to catching reports without distraction so that they don’t have to put the time and effort in to fill their buckets

that is what I meant with my statement These conversations need to take place, but there is no forum today to have them anywhere it seems

i will move on you can delete me, tired of being “cancelled “ anyway  and I will stay strange forever 

If it did happen today it would be because it was removed from the reports thread and into it's own thread. You weren't cancelled :laugh: And you will be strange forever, just like the rest of us. And there are numerous forums on this website where you or anyone else can have any respectful discussion, just like it has always been - this thread is now 11 pages long - and yet you are acting like the discussion was not allowed to happen. That I do not understand. We don't cancel people, delete them or forbid respectful discussion - not in 1999 and not in 2022 :beers:

TimS

6 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

It really makes me question what some of the internet hero's are really into.  What's more important?  Losing oneself in the extreme meditation when it's just you and whatever fish your after, you know when the whole world disappears.  Or are they just after the :airquote: likes :airquote:  ?

It's a part of fishing...being able to tell people about the fish you've caught or the experiences you've had. I don't do it for likes, I do it to relate to folks that love the same things. I could care less about fanny patting, but I love being able to share something with someone else who gets it. I bet there aren't a whole bunch of people who were fighting fish while talking to someone that was entirely oblivious to the fact the guy they were talking to had a fair sized bass on the end of their line. You have...so I shared a story you could relate to...and that lets you know that I get where you are coming from. We shared something not everyone here has experienced. In some weird way that scratches some kind of itch I guess :laugh: Like sitting around a fire and telling stories not everyone would get unless they'd experienced the same thing.

People that do things for 'likes' are weird :bucktooth: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I enjoy sitting around your camp fire, Tim.  :wave:  

And while I enjoy sharing with people I personally know, I also like being a nobody to the masses.  

Edited by ChumSlickJon