flyangler

GOT 5.56?? White House Moves to Strangle U.S. Ammunition Supply

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, flyangler said:

"tons of ammo" - such a specific quantification....

You should not speak about what you don't know, like the training regimes of federal agencies. Someone who knows something about firearms training would never use "tons of ammo weekly". 

I know a little about LE firearms training, have participated in one such program, and my wife and I are guardians to the kids of a guy who is involved in training other LEOs in Connecticut. So, I have an idea of what round-counts are for training of all but the most elite units. 

Under DHS, there are 100,000 armed officers, so 1.6billion rounds would amount to 16,000 rounds per armed officer. In YOUR OPINION, is 16,000 rounds per officer a reasonable amount? That is 320 50-round boxes per officer, is that "tons" of ammo? 

Don't worry about seeming offensive, I take no offense when folks who don't know much about a topic spin their opinions as if they are speaking fact. 

You do not know jack about my background, or what I have as first hand, bona -fide information regarding what goes on in Federal LE Training. You have no first hand information as to the requirements or needs of all the DHS agencies to replenish old or dwindling supplies of ammo.

I could continue as to your absolute ignorance on this topic.  I generally do not waste my time communicating with people who presume,, or feed other's misleading, dubious,, BS. Now go check your ammo box, you may be getting low on BBs.

Edited by Hookedup2640

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Hookedup2640 said:

You do not know jack about my background, or what I have as first hand, bona -fide information regarding what goes on in Federal LE Training. You have no first hand information as to the requirements or needs of all the DHS agencies to replenish old or dwindling supplies of ammo.

I could continue as to your absolute ignorance on this topic.  I generally do not waste my time communicating with people who presume,, or feed other's misleading, dubious,, BS. Now go check your ammo box, you may be getting low on BBs.

so share with us your background on the tons of ammo that is expended by the DHS weekly. please educate we stupid know-nothings with your vast knowledge. 

Edited by flyangler

On 6/20/2022 at 8:22 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

June 19, 2022

According to a report from OpenTheBooks published in 2020, the IRS had stockpiled 4,600 guns and five million rounds of ammunition as of January 2019.

3,151,500 Pistol and revolver rounds

1,472,050 Rifle rounds

367,750 Shotgun rounds

56,000 Fully automatic firearm rounds

Typical know nothing government idiots trying to document something (not the article, the idiot in the IRS who took the inventory). What is a fully automatic firearm round? I don't know of a single cartridge that can be fire full auto only or vice versa.

Posted (edited)

2 mins ago, ihocky2 said:

Typical know nothing government idiots trying to document something (not the article, the idiot in the IRS who took the inventory). What is a fully automatic firearm round? I don't know of a single cartridge that can be fire full auto only or vice versa.

Uh, while I get your point, but even an idiot might recognize that some ammo comes linked on belts....

M240 Machine Gun With Bullets Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

Edited by flyangler

Just now, ihocky2 said:

Belt feed 5.56 or 7.62?

Or maybe they have Bradleys and it's 25MM.

5 hours ago, Hookedup2640 said:

I Posted early this morning, later on I had additional thoughts. I wonder though, how many agencies are under DHS? Do you happen to know? Here are a few, needing guns and ammo: U.S. Coast Guard, Secret Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Border Patrol, TSA, U.S. Customs, and FEMA. These come under Homeland Security.. 

Yeah, but Border Patrol doesn't need ammo, they have whips and are highly effective with them. Indiana Jones level even.

3 mins ago, flyangler said:

Uh, while I get your point, but even an idiot might recognize that some ammo comes linked on belts....

M240 Machine Gun With Bullets Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

Very good point, I was just thinking of magazine fed or loose rounds. But if that is the case you really have to wonder not only why does the IRS need this much ammo, but what the hell is the IRS doing with belt fed?

1 min ago, ihocky2 said:

Very good point, I was just thinking of magazine fed or loose rounds. But if that is the case you really have to wonder not only why does the IRS need this much ammo, but what the hell is the IRS doing with belt fed?

There may be some monastery housing monks in California that refuse to pay taxes on their Social Security income.

If they have to breach the walls, you want to have substantial covering fire.

22 mins ago, flyangler said:

so share with us your background on the tons of ammo that is expended by the DHS weekly. please educate we stupid know-nothings with your vast knowledge. 

Between Coast Guard training, and LE at FLETC, it's easily tons. And you used the words stupid no-nothings, not me. So let's agree to disagree, and keep things civil. 

2 mins ago, ihocky2 said:

Pelosi wanted crew served machine guns,

'' She even wanted crew-manned machine guns in Washington. That was rejected because there’s simply no use for that in a security arrangement for a civilian undertaking. Just — so some of this has gone beyond any legitimate security need.”

I suspect she is not the only one that has thoughts like that.

4 hours ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Between Coast Guard training, and LE at FLETC, it's easily tons. And you used the words stupid no-nothings, not me. So let's agree to disagree, and keep things civil. 

How often do you really think they train? My uncle was in the Coast Guard until a few years ago, qualified once a year and trained a few times a year. A friend in Philly area SWAT trains once a month. 

Remember 24 YEARS worth of ammo used in Iraq. They are not training that much.

Below in my Inbox today from the Second Amendment Foundation. Delaware is taking an interesting twist on mag capacity. While they are using a 17-round maximum capacity, to accommodate so many of the double-stack 9mm pistols out there, they are making 18+ magazine not only illegal, but also NO GRANDFATHER clause that allows those with such mags to keep them. Thus, any 20, 30 or higher round magazine will become COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to possess after the implementation of this law. At least with the banned rifle list, there is grandfather, but tens of thousands of >17 round mag will not become illegal to possess after the effective date. There is a buyback, but the state determines what "fair market value" is for your polymer Pmags, mil surplus and expensive HK mags. 

Biden pressuring Dem governors for more gun control

The Biden-Harris administration is telling sympathetic Democratic governors to pass more gun control legislation with the apparent belief that if more states pass restrictive anti-gun bills, it will be easier for the administration to push for similar legislation at the federal level. 

The White House has already contacted governors in New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Rhode Island, Connecticut, California and Delaware. The bills they have come up with are similar in concept and some even use similar language. The legislation usually includes 21+ age restrictions for firearm purchasers, Red Flag bills as well as “assault weapon” and standard-capacity magazine bans.

Nowhere have gun owners been hit harder than in Biden’s home state of Delaware, where a bill that would prohibit magazines capable of holding more than 17 rounds and a bill that would outlaw most semi-auto rifles are awaiting Gov. John Carney’s signature, after flying through the Democrat-controlled General Assembly. 

“Every center-fire rifle that’s magazine fed will be banned,” said John Sigler, who is past president of the Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association, past president of the National Rifle Association and a current NRA Board member. 

Delaware is a small state. Sigler has known Biden for decades. 

“All of this is being driven by the White House,” Sigler said. “Joe has been a gun-banner forever – back to when he was running the Senate Judiciary Committee. My first dealings with him involved ‘Saturday Night Specials’ and ‘Cop Killer’ bullets. This is exactly what those of us here in Delaware feared when he announced he was running for president.” 

HB 450 will become law the moment Gov. Carney signs it, which he is expected to do. It will ban 63 firearms by name, as well as any semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine, any shotgun with a telescoping or folding stock or a revolving cylinder, any pistol with a detachable magazine outside the grip or a threaded barrel, and all pistols and rifles with fixed magazines capable of hold more than 17 rounds. 

HB 450 states that gun owners cannot sell, offer for sale, transfer, purchase, receive or possess one of the banned firearms after the effective date – except you can keep what you had on or before the effective date. By prohibiting sale, the bill takes away the firearm’s value. 

SS 1 for SB 6 bans magazines capable of holding more than 17 rounds. It, too, awaits Gov. Carney’s signature, which he has promised to do. 

There is no grandfather clause in this bill. Anyone who owns a magazine capable of holding more than 17 rounds must surrender it to police for a “buy back” or risk misdemeanor charges for the first offense and felony charges the second time they’re caught with a 17+ magazine.

At first the bill said the state would pay the owner $10 per magazine, but they only allocated $45,000 for the “buy back.” Now, the bill has been amended to offer the owner “current market value” for their property, which the legislature did not define. It has still only allocated $45,000 taxpayer dollars. 

The Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association has no choice but to sue once the bills are signed into law, Sigler said. It will be a costly endeavor. 

24 mins ago, ihocky2 said:

How often do you really think they train? My uncle was in the Coast Guard until a few years ago, qualified once a year and trained a few times a year. A friend in Philly area SWAT trains once a month. 

Remember 24 YEARS worth of ammo used in Iraq. They are not training that much.

Keep in mind it is not only training it's replenishment of stock that is old and or depleted.If these expenditures occurred each year I would certainly be questioning this. 

5 hours ago, Hookedup2640 said:

I am all for keeping things civil, but I am still not convinced you have any real knowledge about which you speak. 

The FLETC is the equivalent of a LE college, it teaches classroom work as evidenced by the course catalog linked below. They do requals for firearms and driving, but Cheltenham also uses sims, which don't count toward your "tons" of ammo usage. 

https://www.fletc.gov/training-catalog

The Cheltenham firearms training request form leads you to a dead end, making one wonder how frequently they do live fire training. 

https://www.fletc.gov/webform/firearms-training-request

Again, I do not question there is training, but there is no way they are going through a tens of million rounds per year at any of these centers, never mind a billion rounds over a decade. 

7 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Keep in mind it is not only training it's replenishment of stock that is old and or depleted.If these expenditures occurred each year I would certainly be questioning this. 

what is the life expectancy of a 9mm round?

if stored in climate controlled warehouse, is it 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 

what is the expiration date? is it on the box? 

how frequently is it cycled out of DHS inventory?

what is done with the past the "Best By" date ammo? is it destroyed? sold at a "Day After" ammo store? sent to Ukraine? 

how old is ammo used in real military situations? does the US military throw away ammo that is 5 years old? 

Seriously, I need to know because I have several thousand rounds that are at least a dozen years old and if you say they are no good, I have to drop them in the lake or something.