flyangler

GOT 5.56?? White House Moves to Strangle U.S. Ammunition Supply

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, flyangler said:

Why Are Federal Bureaucrats Buying Guns And Ammo? $158 Million Spent By Non-Military Agencies

Adam Andrzejewski

Oct. 20, 2017

Forbes.com 

 

We live in a dangerous world. For the 70,000 officers at Homeland Security and the 40,000 officers within the Department of Justice, proper training and equipment are vital to their daily law enforcement duties. Over a nearly two-year period - the last years of the Obama administration (FY2015 - FY2016), these law enforcement agencies spent $138 million on new guns and ammunition. That seems reasonable.

 

What’s curious, however, is that traditionally administrative agencies spent more than $20 million. Four notable examples:

 

1) The 2,300 Special Agents at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are allowed to carry AR-15’s, P90 tactical rifles, and other heavy weaponry. Recently, the IRS armed up with $1.2 million in new ammunition. This was in addition to the $11 million procurement of guns, ammunition, and military-style equipment procured between 2006-2014.

 

2) The Small Business Administration (SBA) spent tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to load its gun locker with Glocks last year. The SBA wasn’t alone – the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service modified their Glocks with silencers.

 

3) The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has a relatively new police force. In 1996, the VA had zero employees with arrest and firearm authority. Today, the VA has 3,700 officers, armed with millions of dollars’ worth of guns and ammunition including AR-15's, Sig Sauer handguns, and semi-automatic pistols.

 

4) Meanwhile, Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) agents carry the same sophisticated weapons platforms used by our Special Forces military warriors. The HHS gun locker is housed in a new “National Training Operations Center” – a facility at an undisclosed location within the DC beltway.

 

Last year, we released our OpenTheBooks.com Oversight Report: The Militarization of America in an editorial published with former-U.S. Senator Dr. Tom Coburn at The Wall Street Journal. Our report quantified the $1.48 billion spent by 67 non-military federal agencies on guns, ammunition, and military-style equipment from 2006-2014.  

This week, our organization at OpenTheBooks.com updated our data to include gun and ammo purchases over fiscal year 2015 and a partial FY2016. Spending on guns and ammo at 58 non-military federal agencies – including 40 regulatory, administrative agencies – amounted to $158 million

 

The continued growth of the federal arsenal begs the question: Just whom are the feds planning to battle? 

 

More examples of agencies amassing firepower over the last two years:  

  • Loading the Gun Locker – Federal agencies spent $44 million on guns, including an urgent order for 20 M-16 Rifles with extra magazines at the Department of Energy ($49,559); shotguns and Glock pistols at the General Services Administration ($16,568); and a bulk order of pistols, sights, and accessories by the Bureau of Reclamation whose main job is to build dams, power plants, and canals ($697,182).  
  • Buying Bullets in Bulk – The government spent $114 million on ammunition, including bulk purchases by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ($66,927); the Smithsonian ($42,687); and the Railroad Retirement Board ($6,941). The Social Security Administration spent $61,129 on bullets including 50,000 rounds of ammunition plus 12-gauge buckshot and slug ammo. 

    The EPA special agents purchased ammunition for their .357 and 9mm revolvers and buckshot for their shotguns. While Bernie Sanders claimed that the biggest adversary to the United States was climate change, the EPA stood ready to fight in ways we couldn’t have imagined.
     
  • Hollow-Point Bullets – Despite being outlawed by the Geneva Convention, federal agencies spent $426,268 on hollow-point bullets, including orders from the Forest Service, National Park Service, Office of Inspector General, Bureau of Fiscal Service, as well as Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Marshals, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. 

 

 Department of the Treasury – Treasury exists  to maintain a strong economy and create economic and job opportunities ... and manage the U.S. government's finances and resources effectively. However, it spent $2.6 million to maintain a strong arsenal.  

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing spent nearly $100,000 on a purchase described as firearms while the U.S. Mint spent $179,247 on ammunition. The Bureau of Fiscal Services – tasked with promoting the financial integrity of the government through accounting, financing, etc. – spent $672,424 on ammunition including hundreds of cases of .223 Rem 62 Grain Service Ammo, .40 caliber ammo, and buckshot. Additionally, they stocked up on Glock pistols, Remington firearms, and handgun magazine clips.  

 

Department of Agriculture  Even Agriculture spent $1.1 million on guns and ammunition. The Forest Service stocked up on .22 rifles. The National Resources Conservation Service signed a $10,347 contract with Wild West Guns, LLC for Guns through 30Mm. The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service tallied the biggest tab at the Department of Agriculture, spending $22,336 on rifles and pistols plus nearly half a million dollars on ammunition including buckshot, shotgun shells, and rifle ammunition.  
 

In the aftermath of the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, many Washington politicians have tried shifting the conversation to the Second Amendment, reinvigorating the call for tighter gun control. President Trump has an opportunity to propose changes concerning gun controlbut not in the way his opponents are calling for. 

 

Trump should listen to the advice former U.S. Senator Dr. Tom Coburn memorialized at Forbes last year after the Orland nightclub massacre: the non-military, non-law enforcement – paper pushing administrative federal agencies – are the ones who should be subject to stricter gun control laws, not the general public.

 

After grabbing legal power, federal bureaucrats are amassing firepower. Its time to scale back the federal arsenal. 
 

Adam Andrzejewski (say: Angie-eff-ski) is the founder and CEO of OpenTheBooks.com – a national transparency organization with a database of 4 billion federal, state and local expenditures.

Did anyone here, take the time to send a request to their Congressional representatives concerning this article. Is it possible that some of these agencies may have to provide guns and ammo for security or other legitimate measures? Remember this, the rules for spending are strict and all requests for spending must pass through rigorous channels for approval. If you are led to believe spending requirements are not being adhered to then please take appropriate action and contact your Congress people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Did anyone here, take the time to send a request to their Congressional representatives concerning this article. Is it possible that some of these agencies may have to provide guns and ammo for security or other legitimate measures? Remember this, the rules for spending are strict and all requests for spending must pass through rigorous channels for approval. If you are led to believe spending requirements are not being adhered to then please take appropriate action and contact your Congress people.

So you could just have acknowledged that you were uninformed when you said: "Seems to me the only government agencies needing ammo are the military, and federal law enforcement agencies."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From 2013, IBD: 

 

But DHS has been silent about its need for numerous orders of bullets in the multiple millions. Indeed, Examiner writer Ryan Keller points out Janet Napolitano's agency illegally redacted information from some ammunition solicitation forms following media inquiries.

 

According to one estimate, just since last spring DHS has stockpiled more than 1.6 billion bullets, mainly .40 caliber and 9mm. That's sufficient firepower to shoot every American about five times. Including illegal immigrants.

 

To provide some perspective, experts estimate that at the peak of the Iraq war American troops were firing around 5.5 million rounds per month. At that rate, DHS is armed now for a 24-year Iraq war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, flyangler said:

So you could just have acknowledged that you were uninformed when you said: "Seems to me the only government agencies needing ammo are the military, and federal law enforcement agencies."

I Posted early this morning, later on I had additional thoughts. I wonder though, how many agencies are under DHS? Do you happen to know? Here are a few, needing guns and ammo: U.S. Coast Guard, Secret Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Border Patrol, TSA, U.S. Customs, and FEMA. These come under Homeland Security.. 

Edited by Hookedup2640

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, flyangler said:

From 2013, IBD: 

 

But DHS has been silent about its need for numerous orders of bullets in the multiple millions. Indeed, Examiner writer Ryan Keller points out Janet Napolitano's agency illegally redacted information from some ammunition solicitation forms following media inquiries.

 

According to one estimate, just since last spring DHS has stockpiled more than 1.6 billion bullets, mainly .40 caliber and 9mm. That's sufficient firepower to shoot every American about five times. Including illegal immigrants.

 

To provide some perspective, experts estimate that at the peak of the Iraq war American troops were firing around 5.5 million rounds per month. At that rate, DHS is armed now for a 24-year Iraq war.

"Too provide some perspective" the above seems to lack any merit what so ever. Examiner writer Keller, should do some home work before posting ill founded brain farts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hookedup2640 said:

I Posted early this morning, later on I had additional thoughts. I wonder though, how many agencies are under DHS? Do you happen to know? Here are a few, needing guns and ammo: U.S. Coast Guard, Secret Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Border Patrol, TSA, U.S. Customs, and FEMA. These come under Homeland Security.. 

Great, no argument there is quite a few, but what is the training regime of these agencies? Assume 100 rounds per month, per person who carries a duty firearm regularly - how many years would it take to expend ONE AND A HALF BILLION rounds of 9mm or .40? 

 

1 hour ago, Hookedup2640 said:

"Too provide some perspective" the above seems to lack any merit what so ever. Examiner writer Keller, should do some home work before posting ill founded brain farts.

The YOU offer up some context instead of offering your opinion on this comparison? That metric provides perspective, you cannot argue that, you can argue about its relevance however. Seems to me he did homework, you just don't like the result. 

 

Again, why would an agency that sees fewer than 200 discharges in the line of duty need over a billion and a half rounds of handgun ammo? 

 

Are they hoarding? 

 

Depriving the public of these rounds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ridenfish said:

I guess I'll have one by the end of this week :)

I wish I bough a few surplus SKS when they were like 100 bucks here. My buddy has a safe full of them

How close of a buddy is he?

 

May have to look into an AK as well.

My son has a picture of a gun bazaar he visited in Kurdistan.

Amazing assortment.

Even had Russian light machine guns.

Cash.

No other restrictions.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

How close of a buddy is he?

 

May have to look into an AK as well.

My son has a picture of a gun bazaar he visited in Kurdistan.

Amazing assortment.

Even had Russian light machine guns.

Cash.

No other restrictions.

 

 

 

I asked a while ago.  He’s not parting with anything :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

How close of a buddy is he?

 

May have to look into an AK as well.

My son has a picture of a gun bazaar he visited in Kurdistan.

Amazing assortment.

Even had Russian light machine guns.

Cash.

No other restrictions.

Keep in mind, much (but not all) of the AK ammo for sale in USA is made overseas. If the Feds decided to black the import of 7.62x39 rounds, that would create a shortage condition as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flyangler said:

Keep in mind, much (but not all) of the AK ammo for sale in USA is made overseas. If the Feds decided to black the import of 7.62x39 rounds, that would create a shortage condition as well. 

I already have a supply.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

36 mins ago, flyangler said:

Great, no argument there is quite a few, but what is the training regime of these agencies? Assume 100 rounds per month, per person who carries a duty firearm regularly - how many years would it take to expend ONE AND A HALF BILLION rounds of 9mm or .40? 

 

The YOU offer up some context instead of offering your opinion on this comparison? That metric provides perspective, you cannot argue that, you can argue about its relevance however. Seems to me he did homework, you just don't like the result. 

 

Again, why would an agency that sees fewer than 200 discharges in the line of duty need over a billion and a half rounds of handgun ammo? 

 

Are they hoarding? 

 

Depriving the public of these rounds? 

Gert a grip, the agencies I pointed out use tons of ammo just in training? The Federal LE Training Facility, trains the DEA, ATF, Border Patrol, TSA,  US Secret Service and its Uniform Division, new recruits (trainees) for all the aforementioned agencies and  other, Federal Law Enforcement Officers. This training alone uses tons of ammo weekly. Then there is a need to re-stock old dwindling stockpiles of ammo. You posted  a dubious social media pile of crap.  I do not mean to be offensive: Only a gullible fool believes everything they read! And if he did his homework he would have addressed how and why there was a need for so much munitions within DHS. I presented facts, not perspective, stop posting BS and I will stop challenging it.

Edited by Hookedup2640

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Y'all have no idea what's comin' and where all the ammo is goin'...........omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Y'all have no idea whta's comin' and where all the ammo is goin'...........omo.

Half the managers are probably taking it home for their own personal stockpile.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I already have a supply.

got it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Gert a grip, the agencies I pointed out use tons of ammo just in training? The Federal LE Training Facility, trains the DEA, ATF, Border Patrol, TSA,  US Secret Service and it's Uniform Division, and almost all other Federal Law Enforcement Officers. This training alone uses tons of ammo weekly. Then there is a need to re-stock old stockpiles of ammo. You posted  a dubious social media pile of crap.  I do not mean to be offensive: Only a gullible fool believes everything they read! And if he did his homework he would have addressed how and why there was a need for so much munitions within DHS. I presented facts, not perspective, stop posting BS and I will stop challenging it.

"tons of ammo" - such a specific quantification....

 

You should not speak about what you don't know, like the training regimes of federal agencies. Someone who knows something about firearms training would never use "tons of ammo weekly". 

 

I know a little about LE firearms training, have participated in one such program, and my wife and I are guardians to the kids of a guy who is involved in training other LEOs in Connecticut. So, I have an idea of what round-counts are for training of all but the most elite units. 

 

Under DHS, there are 100,000 armed officers, so 1.6billion rounds would amount to 16,000 rounds per armed officer. In YOUR OPINION, is 16,000 rounds per officer a reasonable amount? That is 320 50-round boxes per officer, is that "tons" of ammo? 

 

Don't worry about seeming offensive, I take no offense when folks who don't know much about a topic spin their opinions as if they are speaking fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.