RjcBrian

Portland Freeport surfcasting

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Usually spend some time up in Maine at the end of July at a lake. This year we are on the coast near Portland/Freeport. Looking for Any advice for surfcasting in the area.  Last week of July. Thanks!

Are you camping on the coast?  Access can be an issue.  Some of the towns have public docks you can fish off.  Also some town/state parks in the area have access as well.  I'd go with bait for that time of the summer.  Check out the Tackle Shop in Portland, they should steer you in the right direction

No camping. Got a house. Not looking for docks or piers. Looking for access to Beach or rocks preferably. Got a 2 day window before the rest of the time is packed with family outings. 

:) I know about family time and having some fishing time! . . . not sure which town you will be in but you could try Winslow Park in Freeport.  If you have time swing into the Tackle Shop and they should point you in the right direction as far as gear and locations.  They are pretty tight on this site about mentioning fishing spots. 

If you had a boat or kayak, the backwater coves and islands can be really good in that area, however as a visitor myself, I find shore access not great.

You want to get out on the points and headlands in Casco Bay or, travel a bit and look for access to Kennebec river mouth or rocky coast beyond. 

Hint: state parks are a good start...